Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

How To

Question

How to transfer DVR recordings to PC (for editing)?

by e_t_m_ao / October 3, 2011 1:14 PM PDT
Hello.

New to posting in CNET forums... and I need a how-to response or video.

Have a Motorola (6412 unit #) DVR thru Broadstripe, I switched to using... no more Windows 7MC guide or .wtv recordings.

I'd appreciate knowing how to transfer the recordings from that device, to a External HDD or USB Flash Drive. (I'm a hands-on learning type... btw, so I know fair amounts of basics sometimes)

More specifically, what SOFTWARE (again, Software) can be used to do this (paid or free)?

P.S. I'm familiar only with the former, complex .wtv/.dvr-ms format (through Media Center). Please tell me what file format to record/convert to, also.
And note: I need to retain the captions as well. (which format do you suggest the output becomes? I prefer an MPEG-4 codec recording or output for quality & compression purposes...)

(I, at first, hated the DVR... because I didn't know how to do this, even if it orig. was hooked up to a TV...; now it's hooked up to PC Equipment, so I'd appreciate some related tips and feedback.)

The only method I can think of, until noted otherwise, is to try to record to DVD-RW discs and go from there... but DVD discs have quality restrictions, and the source file should be the best quality, THEN compressed.

I have a Cable Box, as stated, set on Component channel for all my cable channels... and HDMI for my VCR/DVD Recorder combo... I also am pending new hardware, so my cable signal source is fed through Coaxial input, then split 2 ways for the feed to my DVR device and combo unit device. (And the EPG, and basic setup for these things aren't problems for me...)

I deal with mainly SD res. (720x480). I want the final file to be compressed with a good MPEG-4 codec for discs, while keeping quality resolution and compression reasonable. And for readers viewing this far down, here a tip as a reward: You'll want to have around 1.25 - 4 MBps bitrate for video (normally 1.5 - 2.5 MBps, should be fine, for MPEG-4 video)... and you'll want 128 - 256 Kbps AAC audio. 256 Kbps is the max. br I know of for AAC audio, and should be fine for 2 or 5.1 Channel Sound)

Anyone else have ideas on how to solve my problem, don't hesitate to post a response... I'd appreciate it greatly!

Gregory K
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to transfer DVR recordings to PC (for editing)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to transfer DVR recordings to PC (for editing)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I thought that unit PROTECTED the recordings?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 1:19 PM PDT

And if it did output such you would go get a TV CAPTURE card and go to work?

I like the Hauppauge cards for this ANALOG CAPTURE step.
Bob

Collapse -
USB Stick Tuners
by e_t_m_ao / October 3, 2011 3:19 PM PDT

I have a few USB tuners not in use. I have PCTV System 880e & 800se, I think, plus an ATI TV Wonder 600. All are USBs; if I plugged those in, would that do the trick? Right now my source is the DVR box... and I've never captured anything before...

I also have Nero 9, Nero 10, and Corel VideoStudio X2 (and X4) pro... software. Or Roxio EMC 10. I use Windows 7. Do you have any instructions or steps I can follow to do this... and also, would a capture include Caption data. (I can make subs myself, but what is an easy way and file extension to work with?) I don't like spending several hours with this process, part. the caption/s-title making, if there is an easier way and application I may have and don't know about.)

Thanks for the response.
G

Collapse -
What I found was
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2011 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: USB Stick Tuners

That for every hour of capture there was about FOUR hours of work to make it look nice. Hack off the sections I didn't want, title it, etc.

It's a very time consuming project which is why I rarely put much time into this unless it's one I want to keep. The rest are captured, given a file name and filed.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.