TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How to transfer Directv DVR recordings to PC DVD?

by lanceks1 / June 17, 2005 9:41 AM PDT

How can i transfer Directv DVR recording to PC DVD using the ''send to VCR'' command on the Directv w/ Tivo? I have done this with my VCR that is hooked to the receiver. I already have two audio outputs from my A/V receiver which is a Yamaha RX-V2400, going to my Audigy sound card. Would i just use a TV/Video capture card,using the video out from the receiver, and Roxio S/W to complete the link?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to transfer Directv DVR recordings to PC DVD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to transfer Directv DVR recordings to PC DVD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Saving yiur DVR recordings to PC DVD
by slmosqueda / June 17, 2005 10:00 AM PDT

Hello,

In theory that should work. I am not familiar with Roxio S/W, but to save to a DVD you will need to make sure that the settings are correct so that 2hrs worth of video can be dropped right onto a DVD. You will also need at least a 1.2 Ghz plus computer with about 500mb RAM (1 Gig preferred).

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC.
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC Guide ebook coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com for details.

Collapse -
Transfer DVR to PC DVD
by lanceks1 / June 18, 2005 4:41 AM PDT

The computer is a Dell 8400 P4,3.0g-1g,400mhz.-160g, Raid 1-ATI Radeon 300,128mg-16x dbl.lyr.dvd-XP Pro. I guess i could replace the Graphics Card with a better TV in card. Any suggestions? Would Windows Movie Maker be any better, or worse than Roxio ''My DVD 6.1''?
Lanceks1

Collapse -
The right TV capture card to get.
by slmosqueda / June 18, 2005 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Transfer DVR to PC DVD

Hello,

At this time I would highly suggest getting the LeadTek Winfast TV 2000 expert video capture card or one from their line. It comes with many recording options, MPEG 1,2,4. Of coarse, you will want to record in MPEG 2 if you plan on makind a DVD out of it.

I have reviewed and used AverMedia, Happauge and the ATI TV Wonder series of products. At this time the most user friendly and compatible tv capture card is the Winfast line. The only drawback is that if you are cutting out commercials by pausing the recording when using the remote, you will need a second tv for viewing because the capture software actually pauses the streaming video when you pause the recording.

You can pick up the capture card new off ebay for around $50, very reasonable.

For burning to DVD, you should be able to use Roxio without any issues. You will be recording in the native MPEG 2 format.

Also, if you are interested in captureing your audio in stereo you will need a jack two mono in to stereo jack, from Radio Shack.

If you have any questions regarding Winfast settings let me know.

Take care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC.
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
Using Averatec laptop to record from DVR to DVD
by rpatrick1 / June 19, 2005 4:01 PM PDT

Is it possible to use a laptop computer with a DVD burner as a recorder to transfer DVR programming to a DVD? Mine has both firewire and usb 2.0 ports and an S-Video port, though I think it's an out port.

Collapse -
Can you use a laptop with a DVD burner to transfer video ?
by slmosqueda / June 20, 2005 2:59 AM PDT

Hello,

What is the model number of your Averatec and what DVR doe you have? Everything depends on the connections and capabilities of the laptop and DVR.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosquead
WireSmart LLC

Collapse -
response to slmosqueda
by rpatrick1 / June 21, 2005 12:52 AM PDT

The laptop is an Averatec 6100A, with an AMD Sempron and Windows XP. The DVR is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000, with the cable provider Bright House Networks.

Collapse -
Yes you can transfer video
by slmosqueda / June 23, 2005 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: response to slmosqueda

Hello,

After looking over your equipment manuals and contacting Bright House Networks. Yes you can capture audio/video with your laptop, provided you have the right software, and burn the video to DVD. You must call Bright House Networks and make sure your particular reciever is ready to transmit audio/video via the firewire ports. They told me that their firmware does not deactive those 1394/firewire connections.

The software you use to record the software must be able to see the firewire port. Most of the time if the software says you can capture from your digital camcorder, it will be able to recognize the 1394/firewire port. The one that comes to mind right away is Pinnacle Studio version 9.

I can research this for you and give you a more definitive answer of all possible software, but this will take a little more time.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build A Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com

Collapse -
better off with a dvd recorder instead of tv card?
by snoopy2 / June 20, 2005 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Transfer DVR to PC DVD

instead of dropping the $ on adding a TV card (none of which i think are spectacular performers), i think you'd be better off spending just a little more for a DVD recorder and connecting that directly to the output from your DVR. you can get good ones for between $100 and $180.

Collapse -
better off with a dvd recorder instead of tv card?
by jcrobso / June 20, 2005 1:27 AM PDT

YES! This is what I have a Sony DVR-10 standalone DL-DVD recorder, it also has a USB port to use on a PC. I just hook it up to the audio & video outputs of my Dishnetwork
PVR and save the programs to DVD. John

Collapse -
Direct to DVD Recorder
by lanceks1 / June 22, 2005 2:45 AM PDT

What quality of a recording do you get. Does the copy have the same properties as the original, resolution, dolby sound? Can you easily edit the content with the recorder?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.