Storage forum

General discussion

How to transfer data to a External Hard Drive without PC?

by cnetuser88 / July 31, 2010 12:01 PM PDT

I do not want to carry a laptop when I travel because the computer is heavy. But, I want to back up my video and picture into a portable hard drive while I am travelling. Is there any portable hard drive can transfer video or picture from video camera and digital camera without connecting to a pc?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to transfer data to a External Hard Drive without PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to transfer data to a External Hard Drive without PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 3:13 AM PDT

The reason is simple. The camera or camcorder would have to support the drive or the drive would have to support the camera. This usually means the camera maker would offer such as an accessory.
Bob

Collapse -
portable stand alone hard drives for photos and video
by Joliet Eddie / August 2, 2010 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Not yet.

There are, in fact, several makers of portable hard drives that are designed to do read memory cards, etc., and have a small LCD screen to preview the images, etc. Check out photo magazines and websites for advertisements for such things.

I looked into those for this same use when travelig, but decided to go with a netbook instead. The portable media drives cost about $300 and for that amount you can get a netbook with 250gb hard drive. The netbooks are small enough to fit into a camera bag/rucksack too. I also bring along a flash drive and, after loading my photos into the netbook, back them up again onto flash. Extra back up security.

The netbook can handle a light load of photo editing and preview software, including RAW file processing, but don't expect it to run Lightroom or Photoshope.

I've used this set up on several trips already and it works great. The netbook also gives me access to email and the web, serves as an MP3 player, etc. Very handy.

Collapse -
The netbook is still too expensive and has small capacity
by cnetuser88 / August 2, 2010 5:40 AM PDT

For back up data only, the netbook is still too expensive and has small capacity of the storage. I only need a portable external hard drive that can automatically transfer data from the video or digital camera or memory card.

Collapse -
Read the OP's SPEC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 6:53 AM PDT

They wrote "transfer video or picture from video camera and digital camera".

There are fine devices to move from SD CARD and similar to portable hard disks but these fail the requirement.
Bob

Collapse -
The removable SD card has limited capacity
by cnetuser88 / August 2, 2010 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Read the OP's SPEC.

The removable SD card has limited capacity. A little high capacity card such as 32GB is still expensive. But, the portable external hard drive has 1TB capacity and has become cheap. I wish it could transfer data from the video camera and digital camera without connecting to the PC.

Collapse -
And there are such cameras and camcorders.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 1:50 PM PDT

But those camcorders blow away most folk's budgets. Why not a medium size SD card and some SD card to USB drive transfer device?
Bob

Collapse -
You have talked out of the subject. The end.
by cnetuser88 / August 2, 2010 11:53 PM PDT

The SD card is not what I am intereested in. You have talked out of the subject. The end.

Collapse -
The end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2010 12:07 AM PDT

As you have discovered there is no such device for the prices you may want to pay. At least you tried.
Bob

Collapse -
There is a device, you have to spend money
by jja37 / July 3, 2011 6:56 PM PDT
In reply to: The end.

A smartphone made by nokia has Micro sd slot and an adapter to act as host to a hard drive via usb micro A. It is USB-OTG host ready. The N8. There may be others. It also has wifi internet browsing and skype calling, can use CDMA or GSM networks/global phone. Saves space, if not money.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.