Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How to track total internet usage of wireless modem

by athenaGT2 / January 28, 2011 3:26 AM PST

My 2 room mates and I have a USB broad band modem: "Novatel Wireless Ovation? MC760- EVDO Rev A", which we stick into a 3G router "Zoom 3G Wireless-N Router- Model 4501, Series 1075." We have a 10GB/month data plan, but no idea of how to track how much of this allowance we are using. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to track how much we are using so we can do things like watch videos online without going over our limit and paying extra fees? We'd need something that either sees what the card is doing, sees what the router is doing, or tracks what each PC uses ONLY on the home network and then adds it up online or something. N-telos, whom we have the router from has no idea how to do this. Does anyone else?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to track total internet usage of wireless modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to track total internet usage of wireless modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here I have to look at my cellular provider web page.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 3:30 AM PST

Let me share EXACTLY HOW I KNOW. I log onto my web page and on that is my usage numbers.

There are apps for PCs such as NETLIMITER NETMETER and such but I find I had to look at my provider's numbers all the time.

Collapse -
No usage numbers on website
by athenaGT2 / January 28, 2011 3:58 AM PST

Thanks Bob, unfortunately there's nowhere online I can track my usage. I asked N-telos (Frawg wireless)about this and they said there is nowhere online I can do this. Under my account on their website all I can do is pay my bill (pre-paid) and look at what kind of products they sell- i.e. useless. And they don't know of any programs I could install on each computer that would combine usage data to tell us total usage.

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2011 12:23 AM PST

I haven't seen one that will total it up for you.

My Netgear modem has such a total but then are talking an experts only setup that you would know or not know how to do. (Hint, you know, you wouldn't ask if you knew! And if you asked, then it's too complex.)

For now look up Netlimiter, netmeter and see how close you get.

As to the NTelos fail, they need to fix that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.