Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How To Track Internet use

by sem / October 7, 2006 12:40 AM PDT

Is there a software package i can use to track the interenet sites accessed on my home network(3pc's)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Track Internet use
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Track Internet use
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Links, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2006 1:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
tracking web sites
by sem / October 10, 2006 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Links, comment.

Bob -

Sorry for the lack of info. Here's what I'm tryig to achieve. I have two teenagers that use the home network. We've taught them internet safety but I want to moniter what sites they visit as a check. I'd like something beyond seatching the temporary internet files and IE history.

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Many options...
by John.Wilkinson / October 11, 2006 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: tracking web sites

First, check your router to see if it supports site logging and password protection. If so that's a quick and easy solution that covers all connected computers.

Second, look to your firewall...some support password protection to prevent unauthorized changes...that may cover the clearing of the logs too.

Third, consider something along the lines of CyberPatrol. It has a stealth mode so that your kids would never know it's installed and it automatically logs all activity (including chats), which is password-protected. For now you could opt to have it block nothing, but if you find your kids 'slipping' you could block the content and have CyberPatrol display the standard browser 404 as if the site is down, not blocked.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Firefoox or Opera
by scrapmomof2 / October 13, 2006 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Many options...

I noticed that you let them use internet explorer, which I belive is a mistake. Please switch to Firefox or Opera and avoid the headaches of spyware that kids seem to attract to windows machines.

Collapse -
firefox or opera?
by jackies35 / October 13, 2006 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Firefoox or Opera

What is firefox and opera? And, where could you get it?

Collapse -
Alternative browsers to Internet Explorer
by reesekaplan / October 13, 2006 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: firefox or opera?
Collapse -
by Ryo Hazuki / October 14, 2006 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Firefoox or Opera

Either that or keep yourself protected like you would have to anyway (firewall + anti-virus + anti-spyware) and run in restricted mode while using Internet Explorer and avoid the headaches of installing another browser, slower surfing, high memory usage and sites that don't open well.

Collapse -
This would be illigal in Denmark... (I hope)
by info.inet / October 13, 2006 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Many options...

What you are suggesting here I believe to be illigal in Denmark, where I live. I sure hope so! No people - no matter their age - should be spied upon without a permit from the police based on suspicion of criminal acts.

Besides that I seriously doubt that you would like to be spied upon yourself - especially in this systematic way. Your children have a right to have their own privacy.

That?s just my opinion anyway.

Collapse -
I'd hope not...
by John.Wilkinson / October 13, 2006 4:57 AM PDT

Numerous countries have laws prohibiting you from installing monitoring software on the computers of others except in certain circumstances due to privacy and security concerns. However, he is the rightful owner and administrator of the computers which reside in his own home. As such he has the right to monitor what is done on his network. Parents monitor their children's actions, libraries monitor their patrons' actions, etc. and it's all perfectly legal. I'm not up on the laws in Denmark, but don't think, and certainly hope, that that would not be illegal there either.

Personally, I know my actions are monitored at work, when I use another person's network, etc. Because of this I never do any banking, write personal e-mails, etc that I don't want others to intercept...I wait until I get home to do that. In the case of children I believe that parents have the right to limit and oversee what their children do, though I am an advocate of being straight forward and telling them that their actions are monitored. The ultimate decision, though, is up to the parents.

Collapse -
You know you are being monitered - that?s a big difference
by info.inet / October 13, 2006 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd hope not...

Okay, so perhaps it is not illegal to monitor actions made on a computer you own. You are probably right about that. But in the examples you give, I asume that people using these computers know that they are being monitored, and I believe that it is - if not illigal - then at least morally questionable to monitor a person without letting the person know the he/she is being monitored. Reverse the idea and think about the smart youngster monitoring his parent use of a computer - now I don?t think the parents would like that at all ;-).

If you really think you need to control your children in this manner, then be straight about it and tell them. It?s their home too and all people should have a right to privacy in their home. Can we perhaps agree on that?

Collapse -
Indeed, I agree with you on that...
by John.Wilkinson / October 13, 2006 6:27 AM PDT

In my case I was not initially told that actions were monitored...they never said anything and it was not in the 'network agreement' that I signed. However, I assumed something would be in place and my suspicions were confirmed when I ran a scan of all active software, processes, and ports. They acknowledged it when asked and said they didn't care if people knew, but still don't disclose it up front. I wish they were forthcoming with that information (I believe it's only right to be straight forward about it) but I share the info when others question it.

Collapse -
It?s their home too
by moshken / November 14, 2006 12:08 AM PST

That's a very good point. Sometimes parents think "OK this is my house", yes it is your house but only when the children are grown up. Children need their own privacy at their home.

Another issue in the parent control depends on what parents believe in and for what range? If a parent is very conservative, does he have to right to block anything beyond being conservative even an openion for instance. We know some parents go that far in restricting their own kids.

This was my way of thinking out loud

Collapse -
And employers are legally allowed to monitor employees
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 24, 2006 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: I'd hope not...

on employer-owned computers, John.

-- Dave K.

Collapse -
On the contrary-not illegal to monitor YOUR OWN network
by mstoi500 / February 18, 2010 6:15 AM PST

The parents are the network owners; they can view, limit, block any/ all content that they feel is unsuitable for their children. Now- if they are over 18/ of adult age, that's where the legality comes into play.

Collapse -
by Maklooce / October 13, 2006 12:36 PM PDT

I have a teenager and a 10 year old. I keep track of where they go using Safeeyes software from It has levels by person that I can set and it automatically sends me alerts at work on my email and text message on my phone if they get blocked 3 times in 10 minutes. I can change the setup remotely also if there is some place they are being blocked from that they need to get to.

I trust them completely but I am not naive enough to think that they are just waiting to be trapped by misspelling something or being led to a bad site by a link. Once images get in your mind they are very difficult to remove. I will protect them as long as I can.

Collapse -
Try this tool
by ssyoung / October 14, 2006 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Safeeyes
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.