Mac Applications forum

How To Take Screen Captures In Apple's DVD Player?

by Rusalka--2008 / April 18, 2011 4:55 PM PDT

In older models of Mac OS X I did not have any problems taking screen captures of DVD's in Apple's DVD player using my screen capture software, but now I just get a screen shot of a checkerboard. I run a Mac OS X Pro 10.6.7 with 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. Does anyone know of any screen capture software that solves this problem and will allow me to take screen captures of my DVD's in Apple's DVD player? Please help. Any info or suggestions on how to solve this new problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Take Screen Captures In Apple's DVD Player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Take Screen Captures In Apple's DVD Player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You do not mention what Screen Capture
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 10:00 PM PDT

software you are using.
Are you using Grab or are you using the OS X keyboard to capture the screen?

Collapse -
by Rusalka--2008 / April 19, 2011 10:16 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"><span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I've always used the software SnapNDrag or EasyCrop for my DVD captures with no problems. I have not been able to find the Grab feature on my Mac OS X Pro and never cared for it anyway, I want more control of my DVD captures than it allows. Any software that can take care of this? Thank you.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
SnapNDrag works for me with video
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 19, 2011 10:01 PM PDT

try deleting the SnapNDrag preference file which you will find in your Library > Preferences folder.

Collapse -
by Rusalka--2008 / April 22, 2011 7:09 AM PDT

I did what you said mrmacfixit and still no luck, thank you though. I appreciate you trying to help.

Collapse -
Mac GRAB didn't work
by Dan Filice / May 17, 2011 6:59 AM PDT

I was trying to use GRAB to select the menu from a DVD in DVD Player, and I also got the dreaded checkerboard. Is SnapNDrag part of the OS? I see GRAB in Applications but not SnapNDrag.

Collapse -
SnapNDrag is not part of the system
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2011 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac GRAB didn't work

you will have to download it

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / May 18, 2011 5:11 AM PDT

I downloaded SnapNDrag from the CNET site and it's everything the default GRAB program should have been.

Collapse -
Still Have My Original Problem?? Help?
by Rusalka--2008 / May 18, 2011 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: SnapNDrag

Still get a checkerboard when I take a screen capture in Apple's DVD Player no matter how I do it. Is there a screen capture app that will take screen captures while using Apple's DVD Player? Help, this is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Collapse -
Hmmm, yes, checkerboard.
by Dan Filice / May 18, 2011 3:01 PM PDT

SnapNDrag does only capture a checkerboard from DVD Player. Odd, I believe the old keystroke screen capture method would capture a DVD image, but it would also capture everything else. I wonder if the image from DVD Player isn't in the layer of image pixels that are in the screen content were SnapNDrag or GRAB can't see it. But for everything else, SnapNDrag works better than GRAB.

Collapse -
I found this
by Dan Filice / May 18, 2011 3:18 PM PDT

I did a Google search for "DVD Player Screen Capture" and found this on Random Tech. I haven't tried it yet.

Collapse -
Still no success
by Dan Filice / May 18, 2011 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: I found this

I just tried using Terminal. My mouse pointer did turn into crosshairs, then a camera after pressing the space bar, but the DVD.png image that was saved still had the checkerboard. Geez, I wish I still had the old OS in my old Mac.

Collapse -
Suggestion from Apple site
by Dan Filice / May 19, 2011 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Still no success
Collapse -
I Was Wondering About A Different DVD Player
by Rusalka--2008 / May 19, 2011 6:10 PM PDT

Hey Dan, I also read that article about Apple making it impossible to take screen captures in the DVD Player. I was going to ask if anyone knew of a free app that will play my DVD's, so thank you for all the info and help. I'll download VLC and give it a try. I've actually wanted to try this app before but did not think I had a use for it. Hopefully it will work. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Let me address that assertion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2011 4:20 AM PDT

Screen caps for high speed video is not something authors of software break on purpose. The reasons I'll give are simplified since I must type it in.

Most apps write to some frame buffer that the OS maintains and this is where the capture gets a copy from. Why this is, is left to a discussion about operating systems and more.

In the case of high speed video where any lag will have the users screaming about lip sync or such the makers give us a direct path to the video display system.

I hope this is enough explanation why it was not broke on purpose.

Collapse -
Makes perfect sense
by Dan Filice / May 20, 2011 6:02 AM PDT

That explanation makes perfect technical sense. But it would have been nice if there was a way, when a perfect picture/audio/sync wasn't needed, to be able to simply take a screen grab. My old iMac was able to do it and it came in handy when I needed to capture and print an image of a WWII Douglas Dive Bomber for my kid's school report and the only image was available from a DVD. Thankfully there are people who develop alternate programs that work. Take for instance when I upgraded to Snow Leopard on my Mac and my scanners and printers didn't work. Ooops. Was Apple able to help? No. Were the scanner/printer companies able to help? No. But third-party companies wrote programs that allowed the devices to be recognized again.

Collapse -
This post saved my project thanks to Dan's link
by Killerb1 / August 20, 2012 10:15 PM PDT

You are my hero! I am creating storyboards for a tv spot I'm concepting and have tried all the snap and capture plugs to no avail. I thought I would have to go back to my client with my tail in hand apologizing for not having storyboards, but this saved my hide! Thank you so much!!!

All Answers

Collapse -
VLC Media Player Wored
by Dan Filice / May 21, 2011 1:31 AM PDT

I didn't realize it, but I already had VLC Media Player, so I tried it and it worked with the screen capture software. Brilliant!!

Collapse -
At last!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 21, 2011 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: VLC Media Player Wored
Collapse -
by Action0256880 / January 21, 2013 6:55 PM PST

Just run Quick time Player. Go File-> new screen recording. Record fullscreened window which you want to capture.
Then play recorded video, pause it wherever you want and then capture screen with "GRAB" or other soft.

Collapse -
use VLC
by sonofonos / February 11, 2013 10:52 AM PST

use VLC! this solved the problem

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.