TVs & Home Theaters forum

How to sync Plasma video with Home Theater (Video too early)

by shadowvfx / March 4, 2013 3:10 AM PST

I have a TC-P50G15 plasma TV and recently bought Panasonic's SC-BTT195 home theater system. Unfortunately, I'm having a heck of a time syncing the audio up with the video. My plasma TV has virtually no video lag, but the AV's internal processing is causing the audio on most of my content to come out late. I have looked everywhere for advice, but without success.

Everywhere I go talks about VIDEO lag and how to solve it, but that is not my problem. I have AUDIO lag and need to either A) Somehow reduce the audio lag even more, or B) Add a slight video delay so that it's more synced to the audio.

I have the delay on my AV set to 0, so it's processing things as quickly as possible, but it's still noticeably later than the video I'm watching. If there's anything else I can do to make it process the info even faster, I'm all ears.

I was also thinking that adding a delay to the video on my TV might help, but I don't think my TV supports this feature. I've checked the manual and didn't see anything like that. The firmware on the TV and the AV is up to date as of about 1 month back (the last time I had them updated).

I have my Xbox (my primary media device) connected via HDMI to my TV, which then sends the Digital Out to the AV. I bought this Panasonic home theater specifically because I thought it would work well with my plasma TV. Unfortunately, I seem to have been very incorrect with that assumption.

Any ideas, suggestions, or leads on this issue? Thanks everyone.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to sync Plasma video with Home Theater (Video too early)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to sync Plasma video with Home Theater (Video too early)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell how it's hooked up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 3:15 AM PST

If you have an older HT system you see this a lot and unless you can turn off all audio processing and just use it as an decoder and amplifier then you will never be able to use this old HT.

Today, here's how I hook up a system. Again, I did not research your HT. Supply links when you want that because I can't guess which variation of a model you may have.

Source -> HT system -> HDTV

If you take the output from the HDTV to the HT system, pain seems to follow.

Collapse -
HT Link
by shadowvfx / March 4, 2013 4:05 AM PST

I provided the model number in my original post, but here is a link to the HT I have (mine does not have WiFi):

Connecting my media devices into the TV, then going from the TV to the HT is what the manuals on both devices recommend, so that's what I did. I will consider your suggestion to go from the HT to the TV, but it's somewhat impractical for me because my HT only has 1 HDMI input. I am a gamer with lots of systems, so having 1 plugged into the HT, but the rest plugged into the TV would mean I only get the full experience from 1 of my systems/devices.

Collapse -
Back to it's maker then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: HT Link

I didn't find HDMI inputs so this issue is one you'll have to take back to the maker. I've seen this before and unless I can hook it up the usual way I find sync to be an issue. Seems like a nice enough unit but it fails to meet your need so my bet is you'll return it soon.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.