Computer Help

General discussion

how to stop the mouse from making the clicking sound

by mdhilliard / April 12, 2006 9:36 PM PDT

i have a dell dimension with windows xp with a microsoft mouse. i cannot find any place to stop the mouse from making a clicking sound when i click it. i find the noise extremely irritating. (the keyboard too, but i do not use it as much). i have "sound" set to "no sound". there is no option in the mouse's properties to deal with sound. can someone please advise?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to stop the mouse from making the clicking sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to stop the mouse from making the clicking sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: how to stop the mouse from making the clicking sound
by Tufenuf / April 12, 2006 10:00 PM PDT

mdhilliard, Go into your Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, under the "Sounds" tab scroll down to Windows Explorer "Start Navigation" and use the drop down arrow button and choose [NONE], click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
how to stop the mouse from making the clicking sound
by mdhilliard / April 16, 2006 8:12 AM PDT

greetings! thanks for responding!! i had already selected "none" for every single item in the sounds drop down menu and set that as my preference (to deal with an xp glitch regarding sounds). the clicking occurs at all times no matter what application i am using. at one time, the clicking could be turned off in the properties of the peripheral, but that no longer seems to be the case.

Collapse -
Do you mean...
by John.Wilkinson / April 16, 2006 11:18 AM PDT

By chance do you mean the clicking coming from the actual mouse, not your speakers? If so there's nothing you can do about it...it's the mouse itself...hardware, not software. Keyboards and mice are designed that way...gives feedback to the user to let him/her know that the button/key was pressed. However, each one is different, so some are quieter than others. You can also find so-called silent keyboards and mice that are designed to make as little noise as possible, though I can't offer any suggestions in that category...try the Peripherals forum?

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
So you already tried...
by Papa Echo / July 5, 2010 10:48 PM PDT

...the mouse's propeties at the Control Panel ? Are you sure the mouse is not defective ? Have you tried another mouse of different interface ? [PS2, USB..]

Collapse -
Bingo
by thom3321 / July 5, 2010 8:23 AM PDT

Thanks--it worked for me.

Collapse -
noisy mouse
by glennv19761 / August 4, 2010 10:26 AM PDT

Thanks alot...The sound was not very audible but it was still driving me nuts.

Collapse -
Cool People!!
by archangeloftampa7 / May 17, 2013 3:49 AM PDT

Awesome of you to have the answer to my clicking problem just sitting here waiting on me. Praise God for people like you, have a great weekend.

*michael
Largo Fla

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.