Computer Help

General discussion

How to STOP programs from booting up with computer...

by winner2000 / January 18, 2006 4:57 AM PST

This is a little issue I've wanted to deal with for a long time.

When I start-up my laptop, there's a large number of programs that start up at the same time and the little icons show up in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen (beside the clock). These are programs that I use, but don't need to start-up with the computer (i.e. Ares, IBM Messages, MSN Messenger, SpySweeper etc.). I'd rather just go to the Start menu and manually start them up when I need them

My question is...how exactly do I go about getting these programs to not load up everytime I turn on the computer?

Thanks for your time!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to STOP programs from booting up with computer...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to STOP programs from booting up with computer...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Simple first .
by bknowledge / January 18, 2006 5:06 AM PST

You didn't say what OS you are using but for XP.Click win+ R or go to the start up menu and click run. Type MSCONFIG and hit enter.From there click startup tab and a list of all your programs will come up that start on bootup, but be carefully on what you unclick as it may cause your laptop to boot incorrectly. Or you can enter the setting of each program and change them there. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Outlook Express
by Techcap / April 17, 2007 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple first .

How do I remove outlook express from starting every time I boot up my computer. I'm using Win 2000 and have switched to Mozilla Thunderbird as my primary email client.

Thanks

Collapse -
If It Actually Loads and Opens At Startup....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 17, 2007 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Express

...then there is probably a OE shortcut link in the "Startup" folder. Click on Start-Programs-Startup.. If there is a shortcut to Outlook Express listed there, delete it and reboot the computer. OE should no longer load at startup.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It worked
by Techcap / April 23, 2007 11:26 PM PDT

Thanks for the info. It got rid of the beast.

Techcap

Collapse -
Messenger Start Up...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 6:53 AM PST

For both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger a few things need to be done to stop them from automatically loading:

If you've actually got MSN Messenger installed, then follow these instructions:

Disable Automatic Sign-In With MSN Messenger
Have you tried???

1. Open msn messenger
2. Go to Tools --> Options --> General.... and disable "Automatic sign in when connected to internet"

And if you're using WinXP...

To prevent MSN Messenger from automatically signing in using a registered Microsoft Passport account: click the Start button -> click Run... -> type: control userpasswords2 -> hit Enter or click OK -> click Advanced tab -> select Manage Passwords -> delete all Passport entries -> click OK/Apply.
Then run MSN Messenger -> sign in -> type your passport, e-mail address and password -> uncheck the "Sign me in automatically" box -> save your settings and close MSN Messenger.

Next, to stop Windows Messenger from loading:

In order to stop the Windows Messenger program from loading at start up, but still allow it to be available when needed:
1. Open Windows Messenger by clicking on Start-Run, type 'msmsgs.exe' (without the quotes), click OK, or click Start-Programs-Windows Messenger.
2. Click on 'Tools' in the upper left, choose 'Options'.
3. Click on the 'Preferences' tab, then UNCHECK the box next to 'Run this program when Windows starts'.
4. UNCHECK the box next to 'Allow this program to run in the background'.
5. Click on 'OK'.

In order to stop it from running when opening Outlook Express:
1. Open Outlook Express.
3. On the 'General' tab, UNCHECK the box next to 'Automatically log on to MSN Messenger Service'.

In order to stop it from running in Microsoft Outlook:
1. Open Outlook
3. When that loads, click on the 'Other' tab, then UNCHECK the box next to 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'. Click on 'OK'.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
stop it from running when opening Outlook Express incorrect
by militantmike / January 19, 2006 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: Messenger Start Up...

In order to stop it from running when opening Outlook Express:
1. Open Outlook Express.
3. On the 'General' tab, UNCHECK the box next to 'Automatically log on to MSN Messenger Service'.

I've tried this above before and it does not work. outlook express will open whether that is checked or not.

Collapse -
Mike, Of Course Outlook Express Will Open...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 4:04 AM PST

..if you double click on the Outlook Express program....but in order to stop MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger from opening up, you must perform ALL of the steps I suggested. You're correct...Unchecking the box in OE ONLY will generally not stop Messenger from opening..You've got to do it all. And in some cases, if you want Messenger to stop completely, you'll need to follow some extra procedures such as those at the links below:

For permanent measures to stop Windows Messenger in the registry of Windows XP, see these links:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302089

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
For Windows 2000 or XP...Shut Down Unneeded Services
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 6:56 AM PST

In addition to the other good posts about stopping unneeded start up programs, Windows 2000 and XP have background "Services" that aren't needed at start up. Follow the instructions at either of the appropriate links below:

Services Guide For Windows XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks!
by winner2000 / January 19, 2006 2:57 AM PST

Thanks for all of your help guys...very much appreciated.

Collapse -
Mike Lin's startup program
by WilliamKazak / January 19, 2006 11:11 PM PST

I have been using Mike Lin's free startup program for years.You can easily keep track of what programs are starting up automatically or not on your computer.It puts an icon in your Windows control panel.
http://www.mlin.net/startupcpl.shtml

Collapse -
HKLM items shown by autoruns
by whippo / January 31, 2006 5:00 AM PST

Grif,

This could be what I am looking for. My startup is taking about 15 minutes. I have used 'autoruns' but can find no information about many of the files at sysinfo.org/startuplist

There are hundreds of files catalogued under versions of HKLM\Software or HKLM\System. For example, at
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Shell Extensions\Approved I count 179 items, almost all of them for Microsoft. Are these the ones we are dealing with and must they be assessed individually?

I have already gone through the items at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Thanks.

Collapse -
Whippo, Leave Those Items Alone
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 31, 2006 6:32 AM PST

The items listed in the registry at the path: "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Shell Extensions" are not "running" in the background but are used for identifying the various items on the computer. Likewise with the other HKLM\Software locations. Generally, it's better to leave them alone..

The are two or three basic locations where you can limit start up programs and services.

1. The registry at the paths below. (The primary one you have already mentioned and although there are others, the two listed below are the main ones..)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

2. Use the System Configuration Utility. Click on Start-Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotes), then click on OK. Once it opens, click on the "StartUp" tab, then UNCHECK boxes for unneeded startup programs.

3. One of the best is to eliminate unneeded services on Windows 2000 and XP. Click on Start-Run, type: "services.msc", then click on OK. For all unneeded services, double click on the listed service to open the service window, then change the "StartUp Type" line to "Manual" or "Disabled". (The "Manual" setting allows you to start the service manually) Then click on the "Stop" button to actually stop the service.

Here are links to a couple of websites that give some good advice about which services are unnecessary:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/windows_xp_services_2.php

Multiple pages at the link below:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks
by whippo / February 1, 2006 6:53 AM PST

Grif,
Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Winpatrol can prevent programs from starting by booting
by Jorgen_wagner / January 19, 2006 6:50 PM PST

A small program called WinPatrol, www.winpatrol.com, will do the job.
It keeps track of programs wanting to run at startup. It will alert you when you install a prorgam wanting to start by booting. You can then select to allow that or prevent that.

You can always at a later stage change your decission.

It is simple to use.
It is free in the simple version. It costs a few $$ if you want more information about the programs it lists.

Brgds

Collapse -
Winpatrol is Tops
by skycatcher / January 19, 2006 8:24 PM PST

I fully agree with using Winpatrol. Besides checking your startups, it does a host of useful jobs, like warning about changes to startup files and .ini files. The free version is great, the one-time registered version is better.

Collapse -
kill the messenger
by hothta / January 19, 2006 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Winpatrol is Tops

this is a small program that removes messenger and hides it from outlook
messenger is used to put adds on your pc it bypasses the add stoppers downloads.com from cnet has this would be wise to do this

Collapse -
Freebie
by crazeebob2000 / January 24, 2006 3:17 PM PST
In reply to: kill the messenger

Code Stuff Starter, it works great and plus, you can right click on a listed process and Google it for advise.

Collapse -
Ditto about WinPatrol's greatness, and ...
by cutedeedle / January 20, 2006 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Winpatrol is Tops

with one purchase for the "Plus" version you are legally licensed for all computers you own, forever. I contacted the program author to ask about that and that's what he told me. Fabulous program, it's updated often, and it's a must have.

Collapse -
WOW!
by winner2000 / January 20, 2006 4:20 AM PST

That Winpro program is amazing!! I'm just trying out the free one for now, but I think I'll have to purchase the full version.

Thanks so much!

Collapse -
Agreed
by phantazy / January 20, 2006 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: WOW!

I vote Winpatrol as absolutely essential. Reckon it should be part of XP.

Collapse -
How to STOP programs from booting up with computer...
by mgshn / January 19, 2006 8:22 PM PST

msconfig

Collapse -
(NT) one big help for that
by hothta / January 19, 2006 10:15 PM PST

i use winpatrol it will clean most items from your start up and stop others from being added it also helps your internet explorer from a takeover is a seldom mentioned program and does so much good the programs it couldn't stop had startup removal in the setup and were not many of them
go to winpatrol.com and download it has been upgraded so if you have one kicking in your files don't use it get the new one

Collapse -
Stop programmes from booting up on start up
by bassoon12345 / January 20, 2006 12:07 AM PST

In "Spybot" Use Advanced mode.Then open tools. Tick the boxes you want to load. view the System startup, tick the show more information and away you go...

Collapse -
Stop those programs...safely!
by hawk318 / January 20, 2006 12:51 AM PST

Here's a program I uses regularly and all futrues upgrades are free, not to mention the paid version jumps you over to the programs web site that has over 10,000 listings of files.
The program is called Winpatrol (I recommend the paid "Plus" version that allows you to click on any file), it goes to the web site and not only does it give you the files, purpose, but tells you if its safe to remove, safe to run, or needed to run.
I've used it for about 4 years now and it has allowed me to remove many items from the startup menu that are not needed to be there for the programs operation.
Really too much for me to explain here drop by and see it your self and see if this is what you're hunting for.... Lol, and no I get nothing from them Wink
<a href="http://www.winpatrol.com/news.html">Winpatrol</a>

Collapse -
How to stop
by theeyeone / January 20, 2006 2:45 AM PST

Hello: try execute, then write msconfig. then open Inicio(Sorry y don?t remember this word in English)and unmak the programs you don?t want to start. This will be enought ,it does for me..

sincerely, Carlos

Collapse -
BEST WAY YET, quick and easy too
by r_rayjr / January 20, 2006 2:27 PM PST
In reply to: How to stop

If you have Windows XP go start>All Programs>StartUp. Right click the program you do not want to run on start up and click delete, a winodw may pop up that ask as you sure you want to delete this shortcut, Click yes. Right now I do not have anything listed in my Start Up menu on my computer. This is safe to do and as I said in the Subject, QUICK AND EASY TOO. If you want to put it back laster then find the program from your list of programs under start and copy and paste it back into the startup area.

If the porgram that you want turned off at startup is not listed in the startup area as I discribed, then do one of the steps that some of the others said. Or you can also run the program and look in the settings some of them also have things in there about start-up. Look for a box that is check that says something like "Start on boot" or "Run on StartUp" or something like that.

On my computer, and computers of my friends and family that I work on this is what I do. I check the startup area first, then if I do not see it on there then I run the program if it is not all ready and I look for the settings or options and look there. And if it is not there then I do one of the other things that is listed in this forum. Because some of the things listed on here to do it done wrong, may cause problems later.

Collapse -
use the ms config utility
by sumeet sharma / January 20, 2006 5:53 PM PST

try using the microsoft config utility to stop the programs to boot.
type "msconfig" in the run command menu.
a new window will appear on desktop. choose the startup option from the menu. then unclick all the unrequired programs and apply to make the changes

Collapse -
ms config utility
by Nina Christen / January 21, 2006 6:29 AM PST

This has been an excellent tip. I used it and am glad to have the info. This makes using the disc defragmenting utility run smoothly after shutting down some of the programs. Before using this tip the defragmenting program would give a message that programs were running and it could not proceed. Thanks
for the tip.

Collapse -
to your question
by wolfsaver47 / January 21, 2006 12:54 AM PST

theres alot of programs out there that you can download even from cnet that can stop them from booting up you can use key words like ,program manager boot up manager,stop softwear from booting up
just enter the key words in the search box on the site an click go

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.