Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

How to stop Media Center from auto-launching????

by dalime / January 18, 2007 1:13 PM PST

When I put a DVD in either one of my drives, Media Center automatically starts. Both drive are configured to NOT auto-play discs, but Media Center opens everytime.
Anyone know a way to disable this "feature".

thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to stop Media Center from auto-launching????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to stop Media Center from auto-launching????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: How to stop......
by caktus / January 18, 2007 1:45 PM PST

Is it listed in Startup programs. Start > Run > type "MSCONFIG"w/o the quotes. Click OK. Click on the Startup tab. If listed, remove the check mark and click Apply > OK > restart the computer.

Hope This is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
How to stop MCE from auto launching on DVD insert
by dalime / January 20, 2007 3:06 AM PST

Are you referring to disabling Media Center from opening at Windows startup?

My issue is that the program launches itself when a DVD is inserted.

Collapse -
Stopping MCE from autoplaying DVDs
by blahblahetc / March 3, 2007 7:32 AM PST

I'm having exactly the same infuriating problem. Such a simple thing and nobody seems to have a solution. Please let me know if you come up with an answer.

Collapse -
admistration-server
by selecttile / March 3, 2007 8:05 AM PST

go to control panel
admistration
server
see which process it is, and then disable it. it will never happen again. simple as that...

Collapse -
help!
by Lulufqms / March 31, 2008 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: admistration-server

Hello, we are having the same problem with this Media Center, no matter what we do to change the default player (we would like Windows Media Player) Media Center still starts up everytime we put a DVD in. It is so annoying! One Microsoft program is preventing us from using a different Microsoft program, it is so stupid how they did it!

Anyways, this is for foenhgreen or dalime: i don't have an adminstration icon in my contol panel, and i don't see a thing for "server" in the administrative tools. there is a services, which takes me to a box that let change the Media Center Extender Resourse to manual start up, but that didn't stop Media Center from starting up when inserting a DVD, now WMP and MC both start! Please explain how to get to this the point to disable the process. I thank you so much!
~Lu

Collapse -
Here's how you do it....
by whizkid454 / March 3, 2007 9:24 AM PST

Go to My Computer, then right-click the drive in which you insert the DVD into, click Properties, go to the Autoplay tab, and mark the circle which says "Promt me each time...". That will do the trick.

Collapse -
Sorry I didn't post this when I found it.
by dalime / March 3, 2007 10:57 AM PST

As foehngreen stated, it is the service Shell Hardware Detection that needes to be disabled. (it will disable any and all auto play functions). This fixed the problem for me.
Whiz, I tried that but for some reason Media Center just ignores whatever action I tell it to take.

Collapse -
WMCE
by blahblahetc / March 3, 2007 1:48 PM PST

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks for your quick response and for foehngreen who originally came up with the solution.

Collapse -
Thank you foehngreen and dalime
by Chubby D / November 21, 2007 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: WMCE

I was haveing a problem with mediacenter freezeing when I would put in a dvd. I would always use ctrl/Alt/Delete to shut down mediacenter,Then I would use Power DVD to play my movies .I have been searching the net for help for weeks and came across your posts and Thanks to you Guys The problem is fixed.

Collapse -
Works for Windows7 Pro also
by ghadzhooks / June 10, 2010 1:06 PM PDT

After disabling all autoplay actions using control panel windows media center would still appear when a dvd was inserted. Disabling the Shell Hardware Detector worked.

Run Control Panel
In the search box on the right type "services" and enter
From the list select "View local services"
Scroll down to "Shell Hardware Detection"
double click the line in the list
In the Startup Type combo box select "Disabled"
In the Service Status area click the "Stop" button

This does not affect the OS detecting the DVD (or flash drive), but it makes no attempt to launch any application.

Collapse -
Had Same Problem
by takneb / September 10, 2008 3:52 AM PDT

My problem turned out to be caused by Guild Wars. The game installed itself with the launcher having and extra added bonus A media center command tagged on to the file. It was like guildwars.exe.mc or something like that but every time i put a disk in it caused MC to launch looked it up and found out i had to delete the .whatever and it never happened again. So maybe check what programs you have and see if any have a media center tag added on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.