Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

Resolved Question

How to stop Google and Yahoo pop up ads

by lablover / March 10, 2012 7:01 AM PST

I have Win XP SP 3, IE8 and I believe all are currently patched from MS. I have the IE8 pop up blocker turned on.
But I still get pop ups and other ads in IE8.
Is there an add on for IE8 that will solve this? Is another piece of software available to solve this?

THANKS!

lablover has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to stop Google and Yahoo pop up ads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to stop Google and Yahoo pop up ads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by lablover

Collapse -
I gave up
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 10:22 PM PDT

with IE a while ago.

I now use Firefox which has add-ons to prevent this type of problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Is anything available
by lablover / March 12, 2012 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I gave up

For IE 8 to solve this problem? I'm not really interested in switching browsers at this time.

Collapse -
Well, there's
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 12, 2012 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Is anything available
Collapse -
Thanks Mark
by lablover / March 12, 2012 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, there's

I guess I will live with it for awhile.

Collapse -
Answer
Re. - How to stop Google and Yahoo pop up ads
by leonvictor2012 / July 18, 2012 10:18 PM PDT

Make sure that your "Internet Security" is set at Medium-High level in your "Internet Options" located in the Control Panel.

Collapse -
Answer
pop up
by suhailinternational / July 27, 2012 5:53 PM PDT

yes you can stop it for your faciliteis.It's easy to download the Google toolbar, which includes the Google pop up blocker. Install the toolbar. Click on the number of pop ups "blocked" to add or remove the pop up when you are online. Google toolbar works with most Windows operating systems, Internet Explorer versions, and Firefox. For more protection against pop ups, you can use the Google toolbar in combination with other programs such as the MSN pop up blocker or Firefox. In just a few minutes, you can stop most of those annoying pop up windows with Google pop up blocker for good.just do it its very easy.

Collapse -
Answer
How to stop Google and Yahoo pop up ads: Ad Muncher
by robb7thurston / September 30, 2012 1:30 PM PDT

Try this:
Ad Muncher
www.admuncher.com/, or use this search term:
<<"www-""admuncher-""com-"">>.
Ad Muncher is very highly respected. Trouble? They have a user forum.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.