Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

How to stop cursor jumping when typing

by razor-drifter / April 26, 2011 9:20 PM PDT

Does anyone know how to stop the cursor jumping all over the place when you are typing on a laptop. Can be typing and then suddenly it jumps and you are typing somewhere else on the page. I have been using a plug in keyboard which solves the problem but isn't always convenient to carry. This is the first time I have typed without it for ages and it hasn't done the jumping maybe it has fixed itself!!! I have a Dell Inspiron 1525.

razor-drifter has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to stop cursor jumping when typing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to stop cursor jumping when typing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by razor-drifter

Collapse -
This happens because
by Jimmy Greystone / April 26, 2011 11:27 PM PDT

This happens because the heel of your palm is resting on the trackpad, registering as a mouse click. This is also why an external keyboard solves the problem,.

There are only a couple solutions.

1: Train yourself to have better posture when typing, which may also help avoid RSIs like carpel tunnel
2: Always carry a keyboard with you
3: Some trackpad software lets you automatically disable the trackpad if another mouse is present, so swap "mouse" for "keyboard" in #2

I personally wonder why all computer makers put the mouse dead center. Why not off to the right hand side? Instead of a numeric keypad on widescreen display laptops, they could easily just put the trackpad up there. Would actually better simulate the desktop experience. Maybe some day that idea will catch on. Apple actually did it with their first laptop. You could even swap the keyboard and mouse's position to make it lefty friendly. Somewhere along the line that idea got lost.

Collapse -
Thanks
by razor-drifter / April 27, 2011 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: This happens because

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Collapse -
That keypad & I have been fighting for years
by flrhcarr / May 2, 2011 5:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

You should have an icon on the taskbar which deals with the sensitivity of the keypad if you don't know how to **** with it in the bios, or can't (like on my netbook). Just reduce the amount so that your thumbs & palms aren't giving it the signal to move (as much). It helped me. When I want to move the cursor, I'll take the extra effort to move it, over having my cursor jump all over the place.
I personally liked the old joystick mouse on the laptops.

Collapse -
Thanks
by razor-drifter / May 3, 2011 12:53 AM PDT

Thanks for that. Isn't any icon on my task bar. Not sure about bios. Cool But thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Answer
My solution
by pattywack--2008 / October 24, 2012 10:41 PM PDT

After researching this problem for days, I finally contacted Dell for some help. The problem for me was my touchpad driver went bad.. I had to uninstall the driver and install a new driver. This worked and I no longer have my cursor jumping all over the place.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.