Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

How to split one Word document into two separate documents?

by Rounds*Out / January 19, 2006 12:03 AM PST

I am working with very large Word 2003 Documents and am hoping that there is a method (maybe macro) of splitting the final document in two (e.g. From one ?LogReport? document I will be left with one ?Log? document and one ?Report? document). The pages I require for the ?Log? document are intertwined with those for the ?Report? document.

I am open to suggestions on how to differentiate between the ?Log? pages and the ?Report? pages. I could set each page with different Headings, Styles or Unique Text String (which is best?) and base a suggested macro around this!

At the moment, my document is using ?Headings? in a manner which is easy to follow when using the Document Map. Therefore both Log and Report pages appear on the Document Map and use the same spread of Heading numbers.

Unfortunately I can not have these documents split at the start due to the way each section compliments each other whilst engineers are conducting the required testing. I am not looking to view two sections of one document (split screen editing).

Many Thanks,

Damon

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to split one Word document into two separate documents?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to split one Word document into two separate documents?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: splitting a Word document
by Kees Bakker / January 19, 2006 3:54 AM PST

The application design might not have been optimal for what you want to do.

I'm afraid there is no ready macro for this. If you're good and experienced in macro writing, that might be the fastest and easiest way. But if you are not, the best way to me seems to make a copy of the document, then delete all Report parts in one copy manually and save it as Log, and delete all Log parts and save it as Report. Or, about the same, use the document map to shuffle pages around with all Log pages in front and all Report pages at the end.
Make an estimate of how long it should take to do it manually, then you can see if it is worthwile to invest time in macro programming.

Kees

Collapse -
Splitting a Word Doc and deleting tables!
by Rounds*Out / January 19, 2006 6:04 PM PST

Kees (and others),

Thanks for your suggestion on how to end up with two documents. Unfortunately this is the method that I have been incorporating and it has been taking some time. I have been given suggestions on other forums that have told me to use one font for the ?Log? section and another font for the ?Report? section. I can replace each of these fonts in turn and resave the document each time. I have tried this and it has been successful in reducing time for disassembly.

I have however encountered another slight problem upon disassembly in that tables remain after I have Replaced (effectively deleted) the font in those tables (leaving me with a blank table). This is an inconvenience as the majority of ?Log? results are recorded in tables.

My question is therefore ? ?is there a way that you can search and replace for Tables so that these will not only be emptied of text but completely deleted??

Now that I have a different insight I have been looking but am hitting a wall again. I could obviously manually ?cut? these tables but there are a lot and was again hoping for a quicker method.

Thanks again,

Damon

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.