Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to speed up my computer?

by franksthomas77 / July 6, 2009 9:46 PM PDT

How to speed up my computer? Basic configuration is as below.

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.5 GHz Processor
Ram: 2GB
HD: 350 GB
Mother Board: Giga Byte

I am using Office2007 in my PC. I have enable firewall. Can I disable it? If so, then how to protect my pc from virus attack?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to speed up my computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to speed up my computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speed up as in . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 6, 2009 10:10 PM PDT

what do you mean? You have a nice machine; ample RAM, fast processor, XP. Can you be more specific?

Do not disable the firewall. Firewall does not prevent a virus attack. What AV software are you running? If you're running Norton it's a resource hog. And will slow down a machine.

Collapse -
Add McAfee to the list
by Jimmy Greystone / July 7, 2009 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Speed up as in . . .

Add McAfee to the list of resource hog AV programs. Last time I used it, around the time of 8.0i, it would cut about 33% off the top of your system's performance. I highly doubt McAfee has invested the massive resources necessary to overhaul the scanning engine since then, so it's another one to be wary of.

I do kind of like Kaspersky. It's pretty good at keeping out of the way and not placing an undue burden on the system.

Collapse -
good tips
by jeff_windows_team / July 7, 2009 3:02 AM PDT

Coryphaeus definitely made some good points here. Is it your internet that is slow? Startup? Buffering videos? Opening programs?

What processes are running when you notice slowdowns?

Collapse -
by franksthomas77 / July 8, 2009 12:33 AM PDT

I am using Photo Shop, Page maker, Coral, Office2007, Adobe Dreamweaver CS4, Acrobat reader 8, Mozilla Firfox 3.0 and Internet Explorer 8 etc... in my PC. I am also using Notron360 Antivirus and Outlook Express for email received and sent. Actually when I am going to open more than 3 or 4 application including internet explorer machine going to work slowly when I am using Tab to move other application.

Collapse -
With those kinds of apps
by Jimmy Greystone / July 8, 2009 1:26 AM PDT

With those kinds of apps, you'd probably want to move to the 64-bit XP or Vista and add 4GB or as much RAM as your motherboard will support.

Some things that can help...

- Try Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Acrobat Reader which has been a huge resource hog since version 6.0
- Dump Norton in favor of something else (that isn't McAfee or Symantec)
- Be EXTREMELY careful if you use Outlook Express and Internet Explorer because both of them have a very poor security track record, and Internet Explorer is still routinely subjected to malware attacks which don't always even require any user interaction

But with only 2GB of RAM, and some very memory hungry apps like PhotoShop and DreamWeaver (possibly the Corel app as well, but you don't identify which Corel app it is) you don't want to have more than one or two of those open at any given time. Simple fact is, you need more RAM for those apps. The more RAM the better really, and if you had a 64-bit OS, you could get the 64-bit versions of these apps and break the 4GB barrier completely.

Collapse -
by franksthomas77 / July 8, 2009 7:14 PM PDT

I am thankful to all of you for your great support. As you said in your post I am go through it. I have Gigabyte S3 series mother board. first I have to check it does it support 4GB ram and other PC configuration or not. I am back if I have any other issue. I hope you don't mine.

Collapse -
Norton 360 will remove infections
by Michael_York / July 14, 2009 9:46 AM PDT

Hi franksthomas77,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Norton 360 will remove or quarantine infections on your computer that it detects. If you have not already done so, please complete a "Comprehensive System Scan" with Norton 360.

If you are not already using Norton 360 version 3, I highly encourage you to take advantage of the free update. As long as you have a valid subscription to Norton 360 you are entitled to a free update to version 3. Contrary to what other users may tell you, Norton 360 version 3 uses very little system resources and also contains many new and enhanced features to keep your computer protected against the latest threats that are discovered every day. Version 3 can also scan in Safe Mode to find and remove deep infections.

Please NOTE, while this process will update your software to the latest version of Norton 360, it will not extend your subscription. To update, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

Once you have updated to version 3, open Norton 360, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates." If any updates are installed, restart your computer, but this time boot into Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton 360, mouse over the "PC Security" bubble, choose "Run Scans" and then choose "Comprehensive Scan" to check for infections.

Let me know if any infections were found and if Norton 360 was able to remove or quarantine them.

Thank you,

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation

Collapse -
General tips
by griplock / July 8, 2009 12:25 AM PDT

I find that the anti-virus/ maleware protection can be massive resource hogs. Spybot is small and not so resource heavy. Its has an active real time protection. Firewall should should be killing so much resources. Here is some general maintenance tips I use.

First, if you haven't cleaned your registry in a while. This is necessary. Your registry holds all the information regarding updates, installs, un-installs etc. Each one of those events produces a key. That key needs your PC's resources and free space. So, if you clean your registry, you make more resources available for speed. Do a registry scan if you got more than 20 errors you should clean it. There tons of registry cleaners out there you can use.

2. Clear your Windows cache files, this is your temporary file. It can grow up to a large volume and stop your computer from using RAM properly. In a sense slow it down by preventing it from using free space.Here is how:

1. Quit Internet Explorer, Firefox, or any other web browser
2. Click Start, click "Control Panel", and then double-click "Internet Options".
3. On the General tab, click "Delete Files" under Temporary Internet Files.
4. In the Delete Files dialog box, click to select the "Delete all offline content" check box , and then click OK.
5. Click OK.

3. Manage your startups. Your excess CPU and RAM usage is due to too many programs running in the background. You can cut these to barebones by altering your msconfig. Here is how:

1. Open your Start menu.
2. Click Run
3. In the command screen type "msconfig.exe"
4. In the "system configuration utility",click either "service" or "startup" tab
5. Uncheck all programs that your are no longer using.
6. Click "OK"

Use defrag and diskcleanup utilities also.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
by CnP Systems / July 8, 2009 7:23 AM PDT

I would also turn off some of the services running in the background. Go to Start - Run - type 'services.msc' and then look at the following page to get some guidelines on what can be good to turn off:

I also turn off all sounds for things like Windows logon, shutdown, etc.

Collapse -
by franksthomas77 / July 9, 2009 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Services

I am thankful to both of you for your helpful replies. I already do this as my friend has suggest me but I think disabling startup items in msconfig it?s not a recommended permanent fix as it can cause problems for the disabled software. It?s usually only done when testing (although some items are ok to disable this way). Can you please tell me how to remove computer virus infections quickly and easily from my PC and how can I fix it permanently?

Collapse -
Re: removing viruses
by Kees Bakker / July 9, 2009 5:12 PM PDT

That depends on the virus (or trojan, or rootkit, or whatever it is).

- Most can be removed by one or more of the common anti-virus programs, either installed locally or run from the web.
- For some you can find a dedicated removal too.
- Microsoft has a monthly issue of their Malicious Software removal tool as part of Windows update
- For quite a lot of viruses you can find manual removal instructions.
- Sometimes System Restore is enough to disable it, by undoing the install.
- Sometimes it's so complex that the only way seems to be a clean install of the OS, or a wipe of the hard disk if it's a boot sector virus.

Collapse -
by franksthomas77 / July 12, 2009 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: removing viruses

Hello Kees,

How effective, if I format my PC and reinstall the entire programs? Still the virus is detected?

Collapse -
Re-install will eliminate virus
by griplock / July 12, 2009 11:07 PM PDT

If you format the PC, and re-install the operating system. The virus will be gone. The virus is a part of your existing configuring. Reinstalling will whipe it.

Collapse -
by franksthomas77 / July 13, 2009 4:56 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply. Could you suggest me the name of virus and spyware removal software?

Collapse -
Re: antimalware
by Kees Bakker / July 13, 2009 5:32 PM PDT

My personal preferences are Avast! for antivirus and MBAM (Malwarebytes' Antimalware) for anti-spyware. Free downloads:

Others will have other preferences.

Collapse -
How to make my computer faster
by franksthomas77 / July 21, 2009 11:08 PM PDT

As I am getting your replies on how to make my computer faster, I have got plenty of replies and as per your suggestion on registry fix I have buy best registry software for my slow computer. I am using that software as registry cleaner to fix my slow computer speed.

Collapse -
Not necessarily
by Jimmy Greystone / July 14, 2009 1:42 AM PDT

Not necessarily. Some viruses and other threats can actually survive a format by hiding in specific areas of the hard drive that aren't generally affected by formatting.

And to answer another post... One anti-malware program simply isn't enough. At a minimum you should have Spybot, Adaware, Malwarebytes, and Windows Defender. Of course if you avoid using high risk programs, the need for those programs drops significantly. So, for example, if you stop using Internet Explorer, or any browser based on IE, your risk of getting malware drops SIGNIFICANTLY. Get rid of Outlook/Outlook Express and it drops further. Dump Windows Media Player and Windows Live Messenger... Goes down even more. Stop using any and all file sharing programs on top of the above, and your malware risk approaches zero.

If you use any/some/all of the apps mentioned above, then your risk of getting malware goes up considerably. Internet Explorer and the file sharing programs are by far and away the greatest risks, but the others aren't exactly what I'd call safe for general use. You need to be constantly looking over your shoulder with those apps.

Collapse -
How to speed up my computer
by GaryDelgado / August 9, 2010 5:11 PM PDT

If u think its a virus may be its possible , i think dat may be also da issue.. corrupt & old registries.. dats slows down PC regularly.. as they hold a big space in background ..u can scan for both of them..there is this one application Advanced System Optimizer that can help u both da ways.. scanning for viruses or even in cleaning and optimizing registry...its utilities named...System Protector & Registry Cleaner + Registry Optimizer help u in getting out of this prob..!!
They are best tools for virus & registries trouble i used so far.

u can download it 4m systweak site Happy

Collapse -
Adding 2Gb of RAM will definitely not hurt.
by LucJPatenaude / August 10, 2010 12:16 AM PDT

Upgrading your Bios will enable you to install way better drivers for your graphics/video card and Monitor + Sound Chipset(2010 level of quality).

Then purchasing Win. 7 Home Premium Edition-Full for not only a better O.S. but, for installing the 2006 generic drivers for all of the other chipset functionalities of your mainboard. Will improve your processor cores speeds greatly.

Purchasing Trend Micro's Suite of Internet protection programs will do the trick(Pro version highly recommended). Windows Firewall should disable itself after T.M. installation is completed.

After all is done, your machine will be even better than the machines on sale and, totally new onto the selling shelves of any electronics store near your house.

Enjoy upgrading and updating! Wink

Collapse -
I use ccleaner
by jpaluska / August 17, 2010 7:27 AM PDT

a nice product to remove regestries and files that are slowing down your computer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.