TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How to setup HDTV with HD STB & PIP?

by 45921 / October 22, 2006 10:49 AM PDT

None of the setup/connection guides that came with my TV, or my Cable HD box have a connection guide that works.

My new setup is Comcast's Motorola set top box (STB) with HD and DVR. I have a new Samsung HDTV with PIP.

I have the STB connected to the TV via an HDMI cable. The DVD player connected via 3video+2audio cables. Both work fine.

No basic antenna or coax cable connection into the new HDTV. In fact, I removed the splitter that used to send a separate signal to the VCR for analog recording (set up before digital cable boxes could be programmed.) That was the second signal for my old PIP TV

The PIP won't function without two sources - so what's the point of getting PIP on an HDTV unless you're going to get two HD STBs? I guess I could watch a DVD & broadcast TV at same time, but that's pointless, when you can pause a DVD. (haven't tried)

I know better than to send both the HDMI AND a coax cable from the STB to the TV -- they'd only get me PIP with both pictures being the same. wouldn't they?

Is my only choice to split the signal before the STB and send one non-digital, non-HD signal directly to the TV... limiting my PIP viewing to one input being basic analog? Are there people getting two HD boxes? I'm starting to re-think my decision to get an HDTV without a built in cable card - at least I could have watched two HD channels.

In fact, many of the my new HDTVs functions dont work without an antennae or coax cable connected. For example, the timer doesn't work - because the only options are that it turns on and uses antennae or cable input signal. It won't default to the HDMI input at startup.

My STB remote has a PIP function, but Comcast literature says its reserved for future use - although they instruct users to use the PIP SWAP button for monitoring two programs so both are recorded by the DVR. So, if the box is monitoring two signals simultaneously, shouldn't it be able to broadcast those two signals? Am I missing something? I can't get an answer from either the TV manufacturer or Comcast.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Is there some way to connect an HD/DVR STB to an HDTV with PIP that I am missing?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to setup HDTV with HD STB & PIP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to setup HDTV with HD STB & PIP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You pretty much figured it out. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 22, 2006 12:12 PM PDT

PIP is a selling feature only. It impresses people.

I had my older HD TV set up with antenna and satellite input and could watch from two sources - PIP. I think I did it twice. Why would I want to watch a little bitty picture in the corner at the same time as a large HD picture. Duh, nope. And swapping back and forth just didn't turn me on. For that I can use the recall/back function on the remote.

My new Sony 55'' SXRD does not have PIP. And I don't care.

As far as getting two pictures on your TV, you called it. You need two seperate sources such as broadcast antenna and cable, or cable and DVD, or whatever. I suppose some people will get two boxes for this function. But these people usually have more money than sense.

Collapse -
Thanks - at least can see the function functions
by 45921 / October 22, 2006 4:27 PM PDT

After posting, I tried two things --

1) I can watch DVD and HDMI at same time via PIP -- although I'll probably never do that. Maybe a quick glance at a football game I care little about during a movie.

2) I connected a coax from the STB to the TV, as well as the HDMI cable. The PIP works - it just shows the same thing.

I guess I'll have to put in a splitter upstream of the STB, and be satisfied with one signal being analog. I think (hope) Comcast cable STBs with two output signals must not be far off, as the DVR box already has two tuners,and the remotes have PIP capability -- there's just not and A & B output yet.

By the way, my PIP not only has the setup with a small picture in the corner - it also displays two equal size, half-screen pictures. I like PIP when watching sports mostly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.