Samsung forum

General discussion

how to setup external speakers with LN46C630?

by boozeytheclown / August 9, 2010 10:08 AM PDT

No surprise...the sound coming out of my new 46" Samsung LCD TV just isn't quite loud enough, especially during dialogue.

I bought an external sound system "ZVOX 325 High-Performance Single-Cabinet Surround Sound System" because it was only $250 and had a slew of excellent reviews...many reviews from fellow Samsung TV owners.

I am hooking it up using the 3.5mm "Audio Output" jack...I couldn't figure out how to make with work with the Red/White cable (forgot the name).

The issue I am having is that I have to set the TV to "External Speaker"...is this correct? In the TV manual, it said I could use external speakers on TV Speaker mode and be able to control the volume with the TV remote (plus get all the extended sound features that the TV has?). My question is...how can I get the most and best possible sound out of this external speaker system? It has very very few controls (only volume + - and mute on the remote...and Sub and PhaseCue knobs on the speaker system). Can I still take advantage of the many Surround Sound and EQ options from my TV while using this? If so...how?

Thank you in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to setup external speakers with LN46C630?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to setup external speakers with LN46C630?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how to setup external speakers with LN46C630?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 9, 2010 4:41 PM PDT

boozeytheclown,

The 3.5mm to RCA ports would be a fixed output, meaning that adjusting the volume would have to be done at the amplifier - and in this case, that's the amplifier in the ZVOX system. The sound options should be available to adjust.

The Anynet+ feature would allow some functionality between the television and connected devices, however, I believe that to be the limitation in this case. Was there a page in the manual that you could reference so that I can see what you're looking at?

The EQ options should still be available in the television's menu. I imagine that the ability to adjust those should remain unchanged with this setup. If you find this not to be the case, let me know and I'll investigate a little further.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by boozeytheclown / August 16, 2010 7:34 AM PDT

To address the first part of your reply:
--"The sound options should be available to adjust"...which sound options are you referring to? If I set the TV to external speakers, it makes virtually all of the TV's sound options to become unavailable.

2nd part:
--I'm looking at page 17 of the TV manual. Upon re-reading, I found that it does not say that I can use the TV remote to adjust sound while in External Speaker mode. However, it does say that SRS TruSurround HD is meant to provide virtual 5.1 surround while using a pair of speakers or headphones. Shouldn't this mean that if I turn SRS TruSurround on while the TV is set to TV Speakers...it will play this surround sound enhancement through my external speakers?

3rd part:
--As stated above, when External Speaker is selected (instead of TV Speaker), it disables all EQ functions.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
using zvox 325 with samsung LN46c630
by jb4243 / February 13, 2011 12:30 PM PST

I also recently purchased the LN46c630 for my hard-of-hearing 94-year-old mother and myself. We quickly found that the TV's speakers left both of us struggling to make out dialogue during some drama shows and sitcoms, so I bought the ZVOX 325 after reading reviews by other users who claimed this sound bar made dialogue crisp and clear. We, too, were a little surprised that the only options available to us in the Samsung menu were "tv speakers" or "internal speakers." But we were even more shocked and disappointed to the discover that the sound quality through the zvox was no better than that of the tv speakers, so I returned the zvox and must go on looking for a solution that will help my mother and myself enjoy TV more by allowing us to understand what is being said on tv. Anybody have a suggestion?

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 12:34 PM PST
Collapse -
by jb4243 / February 13, 2011 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

The installation is very simple, even for a total novice like me. I'm sure I followed it precisely.

Collapse -
In the product manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2011 1:47 AM PST

Is it in Store Demo Mode?

Starting at page 9 of the User Manual, which connection did you use?

Collapse -
by jb4243 / February 14, 2011 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: In the product manual.

I'm not sure I understand the question. I warned you I'm a total novice. I connected the zvox console to the audio out on the back of the tv using the mini-jack connector cord provided by zvox. After reading the section in the user manual you pointed out, I'm wondering if I should have connected the zvox to the audio output on the back of my Dish Network dvr receiver. Please help.
Also, are you asking if my tv is in store demo mode? I'm not even sure what store demo mode is, but I've changed nothing but the contrast and brightness settings. Sorry for my ignorance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.