Windows 7

General discussion

how to search for 1) FileName ,or, 2) Folder name

by vmars316 / March 11, 2010 2:01 PM PST

My win7 searches always go to search what's in files.
How to search for 1) FileName ,or, 2) Folder name,
rather than the contents of a file.
Thanks...vmars316

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to search for 1) FileName ,or, 2) Folder name
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to search for 1) FileName ,or, 2) Folder name
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's by default...
by John.Wilkinson / March 12, 2010 1:22 AM PST

Windows 7 search can search through the contents of some files, and option you can enable/disable under search settings, but it always searches through file/folder names, often giving those search results priority.

John

Collapse -
Indexing...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / March 12, 2010 1:50 AM PST

When searching from the Start menu, only files that have been indexed will appear in search results. Windows 7 allows you to save in what is called a library, making it easier to find the files and folders you look for most frequently. Files that are saved in libraries are automatically indexed. Take advantage of the libraries feature and then try your search again. Here is more about searching for files in Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Find-a-file-or-folder.

Cheers,
Cassandra

Collapse -
Though I begin search here "C:\" . Win7 can't find it.
by vmars316 / March 13, 2010 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Indexing...

I have a Folder here: C:\~emailRelated called ~emailRelated.
No matter which searchBox I use winExplorer or startButton,
and though I begin search here "C:\" , with ~email* .
Win7 can't find it.

Sure I'll ck out those freewares.
Thanks...vmars316

Collapse -
(NT) As Cassandra said, add it to the index.
by John.Wilkinson / March 15, 2010 8:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Agent Ransack
by Doh_1 / March 12, 2010 10:09 AM PST

One of my favorite ways to search for files and folders on windows is a piece of freeware called "Agent Ransack". You can just download and install it, and you can use regular expressions just like the big boys when you're searching for files. It is a nice tool, doesn't cost anything to try it or to use it.

-Roger

Collapse -
another good freeware program
by ruthlowell / March 13, 2010 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Agent Ransack

There is a terrific search program called Everything. It comes up very very fast and you can dispense with windows 7 indexing. Go to http://www.voidtools.com/

Ruth

Collapse -
Thanks all:
by vmars316 / March 16, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

Thanks all!
I have downloaded "Everything" and "Agent Ransack".
Yes, "Everything" is very fast for Files and Folders.
Thanks...vmars316

Collapse -
agent ransack free
by vmars316 / January 31, 2011 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Agent Ransack

Pls, where can I find a User Forum for agent ransack?
Thanks...vmars316

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.