Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how to schedule a shutdown at a particular time

by er_paez47 / July 23, 2008 12:37 AM PDT

I have two pc running win 2000 pro spk 4, i was searching for shutdown.exe file on these machines and i did not find it, so i am probably wrong by looking for that, and i should do something else, here is ny situation, i need these 2 pc to shutdown at 6.00 pm cause i am running a batch file that will access a database that are in use by those machine and delete some records from the database so the machines have to be down, so people who use those 2 machines they forget to shutdown the machs so i am looking forward to run a file or a batch file on each machine to shutdown them, all i need is of exist an executable file that will be able to shutdown win 2000 pro , so i can use the scheduler to run this, any help is very appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to schedule a shutdown at a particular time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to schedule a shutdown at a particular time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The one piece you need is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2008 12:38 AM PDT

shutdown.exe that is in a free download from Microsoft. I can't write your batch file for you but this is the one piece I needed to get this done.

Collapse -
Thanks Bob, i don't need you to write me a batch file
by er_paez47 / July 23, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

Need the shutdown.exe file only

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2008 3:07 AM PDT

Google that.

Collapse -
I noticed
by er_paez47 / July 23, 2008 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Hint?

When i run the shutdown /c , the computer shutdwon after 30 seconds but actually after that i have to manually press the shutdown switch on the computer to turn it off, i checked the bios under power management and it is enabled, is there anything else i need to check or do you think that the shutdown needs another parameter besides the /c , cause when i shutdown the computer from the start button and shutdown is selected it turns of the computer all the way, is there any thing else i should check ?
Thanks for the advide in advance

Collapse -
That's a different issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2008 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I noticed

That sounds like some hardware or driver issue. Since there is nothing in your posts about the machine then we can't discuss this.

Collapse -
Your are correct it is custom comp
by er_paez47 / July 23, 2008 4:28 AM PDT

But coud be a driver or maybe need to update bios

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.