Peripherals forum

Question

How to save that old printer from Hell? (Canon BJS-265SP)

by the_killer_rabbit / July 3, 2012 5:57 AM PDT

Dear all,

I found a Canon BJS-265SP printer. It looks small and old (and old it is), but let this fool you not: its powers of mental pain and destruction are as strong as they ever were!

I was (still am) in desperate need of a printer, and found this one lurking in the shadows of a cupboard, in the place I'm renting now.

It is loaded with a functional cartridge.
I connected it to a Windows XP laptop through a newly-bought Parallel-to-USB cable.
I installed the required driver.
The printer is detected by the cpu, and everything seems to be just fine.

EXCEPT THAT: the printer keeps on blinking its evil green single eye, non-stop, from the moment I turn it on (with or without cpu connection).
No tasks in the waiting list, of course.
If I try printing anything (or sending any other task), a few minutes go by with no reaction, and I eventually get a nondescript error message ("Error occurred, launch the Printers & Fax troubleshooting, or else just go die, we don't care" ). The Windows troubleshooting, predictably, is of no help whatsoever.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!!
(assuming I have too little budget to go buy a new machine)

Please help me bring back to life (at least for a while) this monstrous antiquity, for which I can't even find a user's manual anywhere.
All assistance is welcome!

Cheers,
Dorian

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to save that old printer from Hell? (Canon BJS-265SP)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to save that old printer from Hell? (Canon BJS-265SP)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Parallel-to-USB cable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2012 10:46 AM PDT

I've never seems such a cable. I've seen USB to Parallel but not the reverse.

And even then said cables rarely work today.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure that's the source of the issue...
by the_killer_rabbit / July 3, 2012 5:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Parallel-to-USB cable.

Thanks for your reply, Bob.

But such cables are quite easily accessible online, and I've read many reports from people using them without any problem.

As I said, what concerns me is that the printer LED starts to blink from the moment the machine is powered on -- no matter if it's connected to the computer or not (or if the USB cable is connected or not)

Collapse -
Did a little look for that printer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2012 2:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Actually...
by the_killer_rabbit / July 4, 2012 5:02 AM PDT

That other post was from me too, as you surely noticed? =)
(I just spared the readers of Cnet.com my lengthy preamble from that forum)

As for the self test, I can't find how to make the printer perform it: as specificed, no user manual for the BJC-265SP seems to be available online (I presume the printer predates the arrival date of the Internet). Whenever I go through a Windows interface, any task I send the printer (including Test Page Printing, etc.) piles up in the waiting list, then I get the error message.

Any suggestions on how to make the self-test happen?

The machine has only 2 buttons: "power" and "resume". I tried pressing each of the two buttons together, or just one after the other for a certain amount of time, but nothing happens: the green light keeps on blinking away. Pressing the "power" button turns it on/off, and that's it.

On the topic of the USB-Parallel cable, the printer is recognized as connected to port USB001 / USB002 in Windows.

Collapse -
Ahh, with the wrong model number it's like
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2012 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually...

Asking for a Ford truck starter and you have the F-350 and asked for the F-150 starter. That causes troubles all around.

Let's try the BJC-250 DEMO noted at http://www.scribd.com/doc/50097654/Support-Canon-BJC-250

Sorry but this is all volunteer so to use volunteer's time wisely please check your posts for errors.

As to the USB thing. Nice detail but not going to help if the blinking light is there and the demo does not work.
Bob

Collapse -
oops
by the_killer_rabbit / July 4, 2012 1:25 PM PDT

Hm, yeah, sorry about that -- I indeed wrote it was a Canon model BJS-265SP instead of a Canon BJC-265SP in my first post.

I'll try the procedure described in the Scribd doc you mention and report back here.Thanks for the link.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: blinking
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 3, 2012 6:29 PM PDT

Find a user manual on the net and see what that blinking light means. Then see if you can fix the problem.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Canon error codes
by Willy / July 4, 2012 2:05 AM PDT

Canon used the "blinking LED" to explain any possible errors, so google away. If this printer was XP capable, then be sure you load all proper drivers, etc. or select it from the XP supplied listing. It would be best to test the printer disconnected for self-test mode. This eliminates any PC issues and it will capable of testing by that alone. if the LED continues to blink and what that code is, will help. If this has been away in storage for a long time, ink carts can clog and/or become unusable via the time date or the IC chip(if applicable). Please check the Canon support website or any FAQ or help guide, it maybe under "legacy device or label".

As a last note, once you prove the self-test is OK, recheck new ptr. cable setup. Be 100% sure you installed it right and if any s/w to be properly installed as well. These adapters setups do work, but found the cheaper ones, lacking.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Cheers
by the_killer_rabbit / July 4, 2012 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon error codes

Thanks for your reply, Willy!

Unfortunately, this printer seems very little discussed-about on the web, can't find much relevant info. All people are talking about seems to concern the proper Canon driver to use, which I found and installed, and seems to be working just fine.

Interesting advice on the ink carts / IC chip, I'll see what I can make of this. Shame I can't find a bit of relevant documentation anywhere though, neither at home nor online...

As for the cable setup, again (see above) it looks OK to me.

Collapse -
Fixed many BJC-2xx models
by Willy / July 4, 2012 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Cheers

You stated it's a "Canon BJC-265SP" rather than what was posted before. regardless, most 200 series models follow the same error codes or similar. Since this is an older model, you may need to dig for info. Also, what applies to one BJC model may often apply to yet a different model as well within reason.

NOW!!! I do recall that very common status was helping "clear the firmware" which basically resets it. This all results from prolonged use or lengthy one, thus you need to clear it. Also, what if any IC chip is present may not apply, I just mention that as another possible condition, to resolve. As for self-test, with the printer disconnected from PC, power-ON keeping the power button depress, release when it starts differently or blinking changes(from memory). That may also be a combination of keys, so it may need more info. See below:

http://tricks-collections.com/reset-waste-ink-counter-canon-printers-bjc-series/
http://www.fixya.com/tags/bjc_265

FYI- take my word for it, if you ever this to run OK and later have ink cart issues, JUST REPLACE. the cost of ink cart is relatively low and there's rarely anything you can do to fix it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Hmm...
by the_killer_rabbit / July 5, 2012 5:32 PM PDT

Thanks again, Willy.

Following the first link you provided, I actually (and very unexpectedly) made some headways: something seems to have changed in the printer status, for I was able to start the automatic printer-head-cleaning process (which went on and on for >15 min before I forced it to stop). Now the green LED doesn't blink anymore, it's steadily on.

However, when I try to print, the same unknown error occurs, and no task can be processed from the computer, even though the printer is detected as being well connected... I'm starting to feel a little hopeless here. 'Specially since most of the advice online really doesn't completely fit with this kind of printer, which has only 2 bloody useless buttons to process everything...

Collapse -
Self test to prove it works
by Willy / July 6, 2012 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm...

You really need to do the "self-test", so you prove it works. As a last resort simply buy or open an unopened ink cart. package. If it can't produce a self-test and that's disconnected from the PC, then you have some serious h/w or it sat too long. -OR- you've encountered the problem it was put away in the 1st place. Just about any inkjet based printer will have problems just sitting unused, its to be expected. ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.