Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to save my Desktop photo

by Hunter2820 / January 10, 2011 2:02 AM PST

I am using a personal desktop background photo that is no longer contained in My Photos (somehow got deleted).

I want to save that photo to MY Photos folder but I can't figure out how?

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Hunter

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to save my Desktop photo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to save my Desktop photo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Screen Print.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 10, 2011 2:03 AM PST

Just take a screen print.

Collapse -
re ScreenPrint
by Hunter2820 / January 10, 2011 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Screen Print.

Hi Mark.

Can you tell me how to take a screen print?

Also, I hope the screen print will not include my desktop icons...I want just my background photo.

Collapse -
Edward's way may be better
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 10, 2011 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: re ScreenPrint

But if not, use the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. It may be shown as "PrtSc" or similar.

Hit that, open Paint, then Paste that screen copy into Paint. Then save.

I can move my Desktop icons off the Desktop temporarily to some temporary folder. Take the screen print, then move them back.

Collapse -
by mikelis_-_Lv / March 21, 2012 7:42 PM PDT

thank you that help me to :))

Collapse -
Remove desktop icons easily
by jogay1021 / January 14, 2011 8:51 PM PST
In reply to: re ScreenPrint

You can easily remove desktop icons by right clicking on the desktop and clicking on view. You uncheck the option "show desktop icons". There is nothing left on the desktop except the picture that you want to save. After you've saved it, redo the steps, choose "show desktop icons" again and they are right where you want them.

Collapse -
In Windows XP you can find that photo ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 10, 2011 3:48 AM PST

by right clicking on the desktop and selecting Properties. Now click on the Desktop tab.

You will see a depiction of your monitor and beneath that you will see a file name highlighted. WRITE DOWN THAT FILE NAME

now you simply search your computer for that file name and COPY the file to wherever you want it.

Another quick way to find it is to open REGEDIT then browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Once there look in the right hand window pane for ConvertedWallpaper or Walpaper or OriginalWalpaper and one of them (probably ConvertedWalpaper) will have the path to the file. Double click the name then copy the value. Click Start > Run > paste the value than click OK. It will open in your image editor where you can save it wherever you want.

Collapse -
still looking
by Hunter2820 / January 10, 2011 5:03 AM PST

Thanks for your suggestions Edward.

Unfortunately, I searched for the exact file name that was highlighted, but none was found.

Also, using the REGEDIT path your suggested, I was directed to a file source on an external disc. Maybe I originally imported my photo from a disc. In any event, I no longer have that disc.

Collapse -
Maybe This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 10, 2011 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: still looking

Depending on the photo viewer used to save the file, it can be named with one of the names below:

Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp

Either way, searching your computer using "*.bmp" (that's 'asterisk dot bmp", without the quotes), should allow you to find the actual picture file being used. Once found, right click on the file, then paste it to a folder of your choice where you'll then have a copy.. If you don't save it as such, when you next change the wallpaper, the .bmp file may have a different picture.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
still looking
by Cursorcowboy / January 16, 2011 11:05 PM PST

1. The article "Q329677" explain an anomaly that after a user has viewed the Windows Welcome, the OEM-customized desktop wallpaper background may appear only as a plain desktop with icons displayed and occurs:

a. This issue occurs on Windows XP Home Edition only if the customized wallpaper background is a JPEG (.jpg) file. Bitmap wallpaper files (.bmp) do not cause this problem.

b. This issue does not occur on Windows XP Professional Edition because the converted bitmap is stored in the Administrator profile directory. This directory is not deleted by Windows Welcome.

2. What happens is:

a. When the desktop wallpaper is customized, and if a JPEG file is used, the operating system converts the file to a bitmap file (.bmp), and then stores the bitmap file in the current user's profile directory. The wallpaper file is always named Wallpaper1.bmp.

b. In the Audit mode of Windows XP Home Edition, the file is stored in the following location:
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft

c. During Windows Welcome (OOBE), the contents of the original Owner profile directory are propagated to a newly created Owner profile directory, and the original Owner account and profile directory are deleted. This is by design. However, because the registry is still pointing to the original Owner profile directory that no longer exists, the wallpaper is not displayed.

NOTE. From this tidbit of information, contained in the above M$ article, you may find your photograph named Wallpaper1.bmp. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Hunter2820 / January 20, 2011 12:16 AM PST

I searched my computer for Wallpaper.bmp and found the desktop photo! Thank you all for your generous suggestions.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.