Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HOW TO SAVE FILES ON CD/DVD DISK - A Very Basic Question

by virginiavilas / January 30, 2006 3:45 AM PST

A very basic question: Is it possible to save Word files in the D: drive on a CD without additional software for CD burning? Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW TO SAVE FILES ON CD/DVD DISK - A Very Basic Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW TO SAVE FILES ON CD/DVD DISK - A Very Basic Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 3:52 AM PST

"Is it possible to save Word files in the D: drive on a CD without additional software for CD burning?"

Answer #1. "CD"s are not recordable media. CD-R and CD-RW are however.

Answer #2. If you meant recordable CD media, then XP's native recording is noted at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

And I would NEVER SAVE A WORD FILE FROM WORD TO SAID MEDIA in XP!!! Far too dangerous and the file could be lost if anything went wrong. You can play on this high wire system without a safety net, but I'll continue to save such files on the hard disk and use Explorer to save such on CDRW or install CDBURNERXP to make a proper CD from my documents.

Bob

Collapse -
Didn't burning software
by chuckieu / January 30, 2006 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: No. Here's why.

come with your burner? If not, CDBurner Pro is excellent, and free. chuck

Collapse -
Follow Up
by virginiavilas / January 30, 2006 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: No. Here's why.

Could you say a bit more about using Explorer to save data on CD-RW? My intention is to be able to save to a disc as though it were a giant floppy and therefore be able to access it from the disk drive of other computers.

Kind regards and thank you for your answers.

Collapse -
Using a CD-RW as a giant floppy.
by Papa Echo / January 30, 2006 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: Follow Up

You can, but it is not recommanded, as data tend to be lost.

You will need a ''Packet Writing'' software to work with your CD Burner, e.g. ''InCd''. You also need to format the CD-RW disc before use. Once installed and enabled, InCd runs in the background, and your formated CD-RW disc becomes a giant floppy. Note that the CD-RW disc may not be read on CD/CD-RW drives than the one used to format and/or burn it.

Collapse -
A word of warning about InCd and Direct Cd
by gargoyle_xlvii / January 31, 2006 1:48 AM PST

In the past I have used both of these programs and have stopped using them.
The reason was that the programs wrote the disk in such a manner that not all cdrom were able to read the cdroms.

Here is an interting page you might want to read it.

WinXp burning
It should help you. It was written by a MS-MVP (Microsoft?s Most Valuable Professionals)

Collapse -
Too unreliable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2006 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Follow Up

"My intention is to be able to save to a disc as though it were a giant floppy and therefore be able to access it from the disk drive of other computers."

This ie exactly what tends to fail the most. If you were to simply use CDBURNERXP (or Nero) to put the files on the CDRW, it would be very compatible with most machines.

The CDRW as a giant floppy is not a standard so it tend to work here, there and not everywhere.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.