Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How to save an entire website to disk

by songstress79 / August 8, 2005 12:58 PM PDT

What would be the best program for downloading and saving an entire website into disk for offline browsing. I want it to look identical to the online version including links to files. For instance. If the page links to an excel file when I am offline I want to be able to click the link and view that file. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to save an entire website to disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to save an entire website to disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Save As, (Web page, complete)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 7:53 PM PDT

Assuming you have considered the usual copyright problems, goto File > Save As, and select "Web page, complete" in the "Save As type" option.

This should download all elements of any particular web page and create a folder where the elements are saved. You may have to right click the excel file and select "Save target as", and save it in the same folder. However if the link in the web page to the excel file is to another folder on the server, that may not work.

(For Firefox the options are File > Save Page As, Web page complete).

Collapse -
Free Program
by jubahn / August 10, 2005 2:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Your reply was not properly responsive, sir.
by Bryan-H-Allen / October 31, 2013 4:07 AM PDT

Your reply was not properly responsive, sir.

The questioner's stated purpose was "for downloading and saving an entire website", not a whole web page. Typically, a website is comprised of multiple HTML files. Many browers enable the user to record a single HTML file's contents (or a rough approximation of them) and its cited, ancillary files. To my knowledge, the browsers of which I am aware do not enable the user to copy all HTML files—let alone other classes, like Excel—at the engaged page, let alone pages brached from that URL.

Collapse -
This post is out of date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 4:09 AM PDT

With many sites giving dynamic content, the old save rarely works except for old static pages.

This post is now closed due to its age.

Collapse -
Here's a great web site copier. And can't beat the price.
by caktus / August 11, 2005 3:34 PM PDT
Webreaper 9.8 is a safe, clean, easy to use web site copier that copies an entire web site links, graphics and all. It's fast and entirely free.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.