TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How to run my components through Receiver by HDMI to TV?

by matt32359 / September 9, 2008 12:24 PM PDT

I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and an HD DVR. I also have an Onkyo TS-XR506 AV Receiver and a Samsung LN-46A650A1F. I am currently running the PS3, Xbox 360, and HD DVR video to the TV through HDMI and the audio from the tv to the receiver via optical output. I know I can run all my hdmi components through the receiver via HDMI, then from the receiver to the tv via HDMI. This is the only way to get TrueHD audio but for some reason I am unable to get it right. Can anybody help me? Is this Onkyo model capable of doing this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to run my components through Receiver by HDMI to TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to run my components through Receiver by HDMI to TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
-
by jonnybones / September 9, 2008 12:31 PM PDT

If memory serves me correctly, the TXSR506 only has HDMI pass-through. This means that it does not have the ability to extract the audio from the HDMI. This means 2 things for you. 1) You need to also run audio cables for each HDMI input you have; either digital coax or digital optical. 2) You cannot get Dolby TrueHD with that receiver.

Upgrading to the TXSR606 will get you those capabilities. It can extract HDMI audio and supports Dolby TrueHD through HDMI.

Collapse -
that is correct
by jostenmeat / September 9, 2008 2:57 PM PDT
In reply to: -

505 is pass thru only, so I bet the 506 is as well. Return the receiver if you still can.

That being said, watch out for lack of HDCP repeaters in the cable stb as sometimes happens. if it does, the signal dies at receiver.

last note: running optical out of receiver strips away all your surround info anyways.

Collapse -
by jonnybones / September 9, 2008 3:13 PM PDT
In reply to: that is correct

What do you mean by "surround info"

Collapse -
sorry typing too fast
by jostenmeat / September 9, 2008 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: *

this is my 10th post in like 20 minutes.

optical from the television is what I meant.

sorry for the confusion,

ok gotta run and put on a movie.

chowder

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.