Computer Help

General discussion

How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?

by provoko / October 24, 2003 2:54 AM PDT

I'm talking about programs that force you to run in a fullscreen mode. How can I run these programs in a window when they have no option to let me? Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?
by TONI H / October 24, 2003 3:16 AM PDT

Try creating a shortcut to the .exe that starts up the program, now right click the shortcut, choose Properties, and see if it gives you a tab to change it to run in a window instead of fullscreen. There could be a down arrow choice rather than a tab.

Some programs will give you these options...some won't.

TONI HACKLER

Collapse -
Re:Re:How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?
by provoko / October 24, 2003 3:18 AM PDT

Nope sorry.
Next? =)

Collapse -
Posting in multiple forums.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2003 3:44 AM PDT

With this new forum software, it's tougher to see what answers were offered.

I'll just call it not-so-nice to cross post without noting that you did so since people will give almost the same answer across forums.

You also need to give the forum some credit by telling the name of the program.

Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, i know...
by provoko / October 24, 2003 3:52 AM PDT

I know how forums are about double posting, but I wasn't sure where to post.

Anyways, the program is MUONLINE. But that doesn't matter. Ins't there something called windowmode in windows xp?

Collapse -
Re:Yeah, i know...
by Sageth / October 24, 2003 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, i know...

I posted another thought regarding ALT+ENTER in the WinXP forum. That might work

Collapse -
Running any program in a window
by SamuraiJeff / August 18, 2009 1:32 PM PDT

If you have a desktop shortcut to a program, you can put the target in Quotation marks, followed by -w like so:

"C:\programfiles\muonline.exe" -w

This works for any program, but may slow down your computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.