Mac OS

General discussion

How to retrieve deleted Address Book contacts in Leopard?

by Tomlijaa / January 6, 2010 11:34 AM PST

Hi Guys!

I am just desperate. I synced my Nokia 6300 with Address Book and all about 450 contacts were transferred successfully. I used the iSync. In the meantime, I added some 50 more contacts to my cell phone Contacts and wanted to sync them with address book as well. So, I deleted all the existing 450 contacts from the Address Book on my Mac, hoping the next time I sync cellphone with computer, only the new 50 contacts will be transferred to Address Book. Here is what I ended up with: Address Book with only 50 new contacts and CELL PHONE with only 50 SAME contacts! All of the previous 450 contacts just disappeared from my cell phone! Just like that! I was wondering if there is any chance I can retrieve my contacts, it does not matter where to...either cell phone or Address Book on my Mac. Btw, I am using Leopard 10.5.8 and I have searched all over the web, everybody is mentioning some AddressBook.data.previous file but I cannot find it anywhere! I even created Automator ShowAllFiles Finder Plug in, the Addressbook.data.pevious just is not there.

Is there any hope for my contacts or should I try to do something?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you so much in advance,
Matt

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to retrieve deleted Address Book contacts in Leopard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to retrieve deleted Address Book contacts in Leopard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Address book
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 6, 2010 9:04 PM PST

I have heard of that file.

I'm checking on my machine for its existance.

Do not hold your breath.

BTW, usually a sync is exactly that, it syncs between on machine and another. By deleting all 450 from the Address Book, then syncing, you told the process to remove all the 450 from the phone.

Any form of backup on for your data?

Time Machine perhaps?

P

Collapse -
Address book
by Tomlijaa / January 6, 2010 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: Address book

No, unfortunately, I don't have a backup either of my entries from the address book or cell phone itself.
Basically, I have two options, trying to retrieve those from computer, and retrieving from the phone memory itself. This maybe gives me a better chance of having them again, because they are lost somewhere on TWO places. I couldn't locate that file on my OS. Did you find it on your machine??

Matt

Collapse -
(NT) I'll check this evening
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Address book
Collapse -
Mac OS X: How to retrieve deleted Address Book contacts
by Tomlijaa / January 7, 2010 2:31 AM PST

Thank you so much!

Collapse -
address book
by Tomlijaa / January 9, 2010 7:38 AM PST

Anything new?

Collapse -
Sorry for the late reply,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 10, 2010 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: address book

The AddressBook.data.previous should be in the following location:

Your home folder > Library > Application Support > AddressBook.

It is there on my machine

P

Collapse -
I need help too!
by adeallenby / February 4, 2010 4:42 AM PST

I have had the same problem. I synced my iphone with iTunes and lost lots of contacts.
Does anyone know how to find them? I have found the address book folder in Application support but what am i looking for in there? And why can't I open so many of the files? It is asking for a default application to open them and I'm not sure what to use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Collapse -
Lost lots of contacts from where?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 4, 2010 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: I need help too!

The iPhone syncs with your address book, does that have lost contacts too?

The files you are trying to open are opened by Address Book and not by themselves.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.