How To forum

Resolved Question

How to retrieve data from 4" floppy + put on CDR?

by elliehowe / July 17, 2013 4:16 PM PDT

Hello,

I found an old laptop and it has some scanned photos on the hard drive that I want to retrieve and install on my new laptop.

The old laptop ONLY uses the little 4" floppy disks, so I can save the photos on one of those... but my new laptop and my newer PC don't accept the little 4" floppies; they only accept CDRs and DVDs.

Is there any way I can transfer photos from laptop hard drive to 4" floppy to CDR to new laptop hard drive? My son tried to set up WiFi(?) on the old laptop, thinking I could email the photos to myself, but the old laptop has no way to install the WiFi (I think that's what he called it) card to set up the Internet network connection.

You've helped me so many times, Forum members... I'm hoping once again you'll have an easy solution to this vexing problem. Thank you! Ellie

elliehowe has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to retrieve data from 4" floppy + put on CDR?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to retrieve data from 4" floppy + put on CDR?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by elliehowe

Collapse -
And this is why I own an USB Floppy drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 12:57 AM PDT

It makes such work trivial. But why not use the Ethernet port instead of WiFi? My oldest laptops had that. And my even older Pentium (yes it was just that, no 2, 3 or 4!) had an Ethernet on the PCMCIA slot adapter.

My bet this is the newer 3.5 inch floppy.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you all YET AGAIN for helping me!
by elliehowe / July 21, 2013 4:38 PM PDT
In reply to: My checkout.

Some family issues have kept me off my PC until now... Sorry for not replying sooner.

Bob, I have already ordered the external floppy disk drive! I figured there must be some type of device out there that would do it, but I didn't even know what to search for. That's how I ended up here! And my old laptop does have an Ethernet port.

I apologize, too, for not having all the details and specs about the two laptops. The older one (my daughter used in college) is a Dell but I can't find the model number, serial number, or any of the technical specs anywhere on it. I'm guessing they are hiding at F1 or something, but I got distracted before I had a chance to look. I do have all the literature etc. on the newer one (HP) so I guess I should have supplied that to you. I'll try to be more informative next time when I ask a question -- and we ALL know that sooner or later I will have yet another question for my CNET Forum friends to help me with.

Thank you all for taking time to respond! You guys rock!

Ellie

Collapse -
Answer
Checkout...
by Willy / July 18, 2013 1:43 AM PDT

You can remove the old laptop HD, place in a USB ext. case or use USB adapter(ADA-2020 type) and then connect that to the new laptop. It sees media device and you can access file(s). Once you retrieve all data you want, you can re-use the adapter or ext. USB case for other needs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ADA-2020&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HwzoUdq2B4jMyQGxnoHoCw&ved=0CDsQsAQ

It always helps to know what we're dealing with, we have no clue the capabilities of old or new laptop.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.