General discussion

how to retrieve bookmarks from an old hard drive

by skaterprincess / March 14, 2012 9:51 AM PDT

I recently had to update my computer:
motherboard- gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2
processor- AMD Athlon II X3 445
OS- windows xp 32 bit (on both hdd)
*let me know if more information is needed

I have purchased a hard drive enclosure to retrieve my information from my old computer and use the hdd as a slave drive. I am trying to import my old bookmarks (off of the 'slave drive' or old hdd). I run both Firefox and Chrome. From my research I should be able to go into 'my computer', select the hdd, go into document and settings, administrator (does not work under other user names) and than local setting followed by Application Data.
J:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data

However neither Chrome nor Firefox is listed there to retrieve my (old) bookmarks. I foolishly didn't back up my bookmarks. How can I retrieve the saved bookmarks that are on my slave drive to import them to either Chrome or Firefox?
*I am able to see and retrieve other information from my old/slave drive - don't know where to look for the bookmarks Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to retrieve bookmarks from an old hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to retrieve bookmarks from an old hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First of all, a question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 14, 2012 10:30 AM PDT

Why does it not work for other user names? If this is an Access Denied message, look up in your favorite search engine for the search term XP Take Ownership for Microsoft's link on how to take ownership for folders and files.

As to the rest, you're on the right track for the PATH, except it has to be your username and not Administrator. All your personal files are in your username "Documents and Settings" folders.

Then drill down to Mozilla and/or Firefox then 'profiles' then '{random characters}' and look for "bookmarks.html".

I don't know about Chrome but a Google search tells me to look in the "...\Chrome\User Data\Default\" folder.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
response
by skaterprincess / March 15, 2012 1:36 AM PDT

I was the only 'user' on the old hdd. But listed are my last my last name, Admin and all users. I don't know why files where split between my last name user and admin user. Trying to figure that out when I 'logged in' under only one user.

Thank you for the rest of the information you provided but as the original message states I did go to the file you have listed (I listed mine because my drive is the J: drive). My problem is Firefox and Chrome is not listed. I think it is because I was about to back everything up but did not get the chance to backup my bookmarks before my other motherboard fried.

Collapse -
Re: bookmarks
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 15, 2012 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: response

Firefox on the first start each day makes a backup of its bookmarks. It keeps the last 5 or 6.

Mine from today is:
C:\Documents and Settings\<my username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<myprofie>\bookmarkbackups\bookmarks-2012-03-16.json

Your latest should be:
J:\Documents and Settings\<your old username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<your old profile name>\bookmarkbackups\bookmarks-<your last date>.json

There's no reason why it should be deleted.

Kees

Collapse -
To add to Mark's comments
by Steven Haninger / March 14, 2012 8:15 PM PDT

Newer versions of FF use the extension .json for the bookmarks file. You might search for that extension. I can't help you with Chrome as I don't use it.

Collapse -
.json
by skaterprincess / March 15, 2012 1:40 AM PDT

I tried using the search on just my old HD for .json. I only came up an itunes extension.

Collapse -
.json as itunes??
by Steven Haninger / March 15, 2012 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: .json

You've got a file association problem with whatever you used for the search. It sounds as if Apple just took over everything it could think of. json is a valid bookmark extension for FF and not a music or video file.

Collapse -
Correction...it's a java script term
by Steven Haninger / March 15, 2012 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: .json as itunes??

and FF does use it for bookmarks.

Collapse -
Why not try searching for
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 15, 2012 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: .json

bookmarks.json ?

Alternatively, search for bookmarks.html .

Mark

Collapse -
Locate and export
by Willy / March 15, 2012 12:45 AM PDT

Once you can access your old HD, use the search engine of MS and locate at whatever that HD letter is. Once found, activate them(old browser) to use, then enter its setting and "export" the bookmarks. if you export them, then place them where you can retrieve them for your new browser pgm., or re-use the newer browser.

If you can't find them, then its either corrupted or got hosed in some way. Entirely a different problem. If that's not the case, then the above should suffice.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
more ?'s
by skaterprincess / March 15, 2012 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Locate and export

I understand what you were saying in the first paragraph but what does MS stand for? My HD is the J: file, as listed in my original post. Maybe I was not clear enough in my original post but the problem is I CAN NOT find any files related to my browser on my old HD. I cannot find where Firefox and Chrome (the actual programs) are, even though I used them with my other computer. I do not see these browsers under program files, windows or under Documents and Settings/*user*.
Could my browser information on my HD have been 'fried' when my other motherboard fried because I was on the internet at the time? To clarify, because I was using Chrome - the power went out, frying my motherboard BUT at the same time could it have erased or fried that browser (which was actually Chrome) that I was using at the time on my HD?
I save all programs (even browsers) under 'program files', I don't understand why I can't find some programs.

Collapse -
Export
by Willy / March 15, 2012 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: more ?'s
Collapse -
Bookmarks from old HD
by alphaguy1 / March 16, 2012 5:31 AM PDT

Have you tried to just go to "my computer" and search drive J: for "bookmarks.htm" or even simply "bookmarks.* "
When you find it forget about Chrome and Firefox and copy and rename (I called mine "Old Favorites" the file to your desktop and to the new HD so you will have redundant copies.
Now you should be able to add the renamed file to either of the Chrome or Firefox, or both.
Fred

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.