How To

Question

How to: Restore my computer boot-up back to normal

by yoli428 / June 22, 2011 11:03 AM PDT

Somewhere I must have gotten a virus. When starting my computer now I have to hit the F8 key and have it start in a normal mode or the F10 key to reboot. How do I fix my computer so that it does not have to go through the CHKDSK process each time I turn it on? I have been able to get back on, but if my computer gets stuck in a program, I have to manually turn it off and start this process all over again. Help immediately please.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to: Restore my computer boot-up back to normal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to: Restore my computer boot-up back to normal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
boot up
by NicoleCozma / June 23, 2011 7:38 AM PDT

Which version of Windows are you using?

Collapse -
by yoli428 / June 23, 2011 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: boot up

I am using Windows Vista. I started it up earlier and shut it down through the start menu. When I turned it back on later, it still went through that process. I have been starting it in a normal mode in order to bypass the CHKDSK start up. I did a complete virus scan using microsoft essentials and it showe no viruses. I was wondering if I need to do a restore, but I am able to use the computer. If it sets too long, it gets hung up.Thanks for the help and any other information you can give me.

Collapse -
start up
by NicoleCozma / June 23, 2011 12:09 PM PDT

You should try letting the chkddk utility finish running. Then if the option is still appearing at start up you can try doing a repair instead of a restore. Also I would still recommend getting a free antivirus and the ad aware applications because even though Microsoft is decent, it doesn't catch everything.

Collapse -
by yoli428 / June 23, 2011 7:47 PM PDT
In reply to: start up

Thank you. I will try this and see if it works.

Collapse -
by yoli428 / June 23, 2011 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: start up

Also, should I remove any of the spyware programs such as microsoft essentials from my computer? How do I do the repair, where is it located on my computer.

Collapse -
Repair, other apps
by NicoleCozma / June 24, 2011 4:40 AM PDT

You don't need to remove any of the Microsoft security apps from your computer. Just install the others, you can get them all from the download.com section of CNET.

Collapse -
by yoli428 / June 25, 2011 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair, other apps

Thank you so much for your help. I tested it over these 2 days after downloading the avg virus software, did a complete scan, then shut it down correctly. It has booted up normally again. One more question, I made the mistake and downloaded the trial version instead of the free one. Should I go back and re-download that the free one to replace the 30 day trial?

Collapse -
AVG trial
by NicoleCozma / June 25, 2011 7:09 PM PDT

Probably a good idea if you don't want trial alerts forever. Grin

Collapse -
Restore my computer boot-up
by yoli428 / June 26, 2011 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG trial

One more thing and I hate to be a pest, I don't know much about softwares and that stuff. I went to download the avg, but not sure if I should hit the run or save for the file that came up:
avg_free_stb_all_2011_1388_cnet.com

Collapse -
Open or run
by NicoleCozma / June 26, 2011 3:39 PM PDT

If you are signed in as the administrator, then you can use "Run" most likely. That just means it won't save the installer file on your computer to install again at a later time (should you uninstall the application). Honestly, it really doesn't matter too much. I usually just save it, then delete the installer later (but I always down to my desktop). Your downloads might default to C:\user\downloads, if you can't find it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.