Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to restore encrypted files

by ompixie / December 24, 2012 1:21 PM PST

Many years I encrypted most of my data through an option I found on windows xp. I think it was with right click...

Then I formatted my pc.

I was really devastated because the person who advised me to encrypt my files, did not mention that you have got to have a KEY to decrypt them, if you format....

I remember I googled everything but could not find a solution. I read somewhere that if I had a copy of one of these files unencrypted I could use it somehow to find the key.

I realize that this must be beyond my abilities. However, I might even be willing to learn to save GB of photographs and memories I have stored.

So I did find a picture I had stored again through google. Is there anything I can do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to restore encrypted files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to restore encrypted files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very few
by Jimmy Greystone / December 24, 2012 10:58 PM PST

Very few. You're looking at basically having to buy some program like those offered at and hope it can break the encryption. And not to rub salt in the wound, but when you encrypt something using EFS, it does pop up with a message telling you to back up that encryption key file, because without it, you will be unable to access the files. Somewhere along the line you chose to ignore that warning, and so now here you are.

I don't say it to chastise so much as to help you make sure to learn the valuable lesson from this experience. That is the difference between this being a one time event or simply the first of many.

Collapse -
lesson learned
by ompixie / December 25, 2012 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Very few

Believe me I learnt my lesson. I have never encrypted files since then :D. And its about 6 years now. I lost all my photography files, my screenshots of being first in google on a keyword...and other stuff I was very attached to...

Thanks for the suggestion, I wrote to the website you suggested and awaiting a reply. I would gladly pay to get those files back, as long as it doesn't cost a fortune.

Collapse -
Sounds like EFS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 1:26 AM PST

EFS restoration is indeed a trip and paying your penance at

EFS does require use to backup the EFS key for the day we need it.

Consider this to be like locking your car keys in a car or losing the last key to the car and having a new key made. Costs a little and you learn to keep a spare copy. Here's the article about making the spare EFS key copy.

There should be an article for XP, 7 but this is done before the formatting.

Collapse -
That's news to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like EFS. seems to be pretty clear about the requirements and the price.

If you don't meet the requirements then you move to the next data recovery house that does this. It's

I'm never asked anyone to use EFS for over a decade because I learned early on that even if you tell them to copy out the EFS certificate they won't. I knew it was trouble to let everyone have access to this but what to do now is the big question.
Collapse -
price per file
by ompixie / December 26, 2012 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: That's news to me.

Lostpassword dot com require payment of decryption per file! I have 4000 files. Grin Nevertheless I wrote to them, lets see what they will have to say. Checking out the other site now.

Collapse -
More ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: price per file
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.