Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How To Restore Administrator???

by TONI H / January 30, 2004 8:40 AM PST

My son called tonight (XP laptop) with a perplexing problem that I haven't been able to find any info about.

He was on the computer this morning just fine...Usernames Administrator and DEREK just like always for logging in. He went to work, came home and turned on the laptop and Administrator was gone and now only DEREK is the Administrator.

He wants to know how he can get the Administrator login to show back up again. Everything is intact in Windows Explorer, with all of his My Documents, My Music, and My Pictures listed under Administrator folder which is where they were defaulted to for saving automatically; however since he can only log in as DEREK now, those folders aren't available by default.

I know I can have him drag copies of those folders to his DEREK username; however, he would have to repeat this process to keep it updated on a regular basis...

He used the XP restore feature to roll back to yesterday's date, but that didn't bring it back either.

Does anybody know how to bring back the Administrator Account? I considered telling him to just create it again in User Accounts, but wasn't sure if this would work since I don't know if he would have to have the original password used to create it, and since it was set up by the vendor, we don't have it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Restore Administrator???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Restore Administrator???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What does it show when he boots -Safe Mode-?
by tcantrelln / January 30, 2004 8:44 AM PST

Any further back restore options? Run file checker??

Collapse -
Re:Try the Elder Geek...thank you; I've passed it on to him
by TONI H / January 30, 2004 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Try the Elder Geek...

via email since he's at work now. When he tries the suggested fix(es), I'll let you know which one, if either, worked. I appreciate the find.

Collapse -
Should have read your post...
by Edward ODaniel / February 2, 2004 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Try the Elder Geek...

before responding below.

Oh well, now the Tweak utilities have been mentioned too.

Collapse -
Please post when a fix is found
by tcantrelln / February 1, 2004 10:19 PM PST

This sounds exactly like what some of the persons in my work group will figure out how to do........

Collapse -
Parasites can change things.
by Papa Echo / February 1, 2004 10:31 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:How To Restore Administrator???
by Edward ODaniel / February 2, 2004 4:39 AM PST

Once you have created regular user accounts, the default Administrator account vanishes from the Welcome screen (what you see when the computer starts up). Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice at the Welcome screen to retrieve the standard logon dialog. You can log on as Administrator from here. To switch among accounts, just click the Log Off button on the Start menu. You'll then see the Log Off Windows dialog box. Click the Switch User button, and you'll be taken to the Welcome screen where you can select and log on to other accounts.

There is a tweak program that you can use to force the Administrator Account to show on the Welcome Screen.
Another is at

Of course Microsoft's own TweakUI will do the trick too with a simple check in the "Show Administrator on Welcome Screen"

And since all these tweak applets are just editing the registry, you could do it yourself as follows:

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Add the DWORD value 'Administrator' with a value of '1'

You are done.

Collapse -
Thank you very much for your help
by RazaPasha / November 25, 2010 2:31 AM PST

Mr. Edward ODanial

Thank you very much for you helping note regarding how to restore administrator login.
Impressive. You saved lot of my time by this help. Thank you again.

Raza Pasha
Lahore Pakistan

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.