Phones forum

General discussion

how to replace old phone and keep current service

by ringer8 / May 27, 2009 1:51 AM PDT

i have verizon wireless with old samsung phone that i own with a $15 a month rate "grandfathered" in that i don't want to change.... Can i buy a new cell phone and do i have to pay 2-300$ just because i don't want to have a new contract?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to replace old phone and keep current service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to replace old phone and keep current service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ebay or craigslist, also...
by Pepe7 / May 27, 2009 2:16 AM PDT

Those are two possibilities. Granted, I don't know enough about Verizon and how they handle very old grandfathered plans compared to ATT. It's unlikely though you will get a full featured smartphone for a heavily subsidized price w/o having to sign up for a new plan however, and probably one at least $50/month.

Truth be told- if you pro-rate the total cost over the same time period you could potentially end up ahead by buying the handset outright though. YMMV. Think about is from a two year forced stream of payments-

Unsubsidized version-
24 mos. x $20/mo. (including taxes)=$480 + $200 for new handset= $680
(=$28/mo. over a 24 mo. period)

Subsidized version-
24 mos. x $60/mo. post paid plan cost to get handset discount(avg.)=
$1440 + $0-100 for new handset= $1440 or $1540 depending on subsidized handset price. Again, avg. per month is $1540/24= $64 over a 24 mo. period.

Collapse -
keep service without a contract
by popeye3678 / May 27, 2009 5:05 AM PDT

I ran over my 3 yr old motorola razr phone last week. My contract expired a few years ago and I've just been paying the [$24.99/mo for 100 mins] on the bill they keep sending me.

I went on eBay & gat an exact replacement for my razr V3c, slightly used, for $39.99. Mine was used anyway & the eBay replacement was 'better', but identical.

I love it.

So, I just took my eBay phone to the Verizon Store & got it activated, no charge.

Verizon tried to 'trick' me into a 2 yr contract, though.
Been with them for 10 years and will not get a contract. Also, always pay cash when you 'have' to use their store.

Collapse -
by ringer8 / May 27, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

i would like to buy another samsung or other verizon wireless compatible phone (per cnet) just the basics so...i should be able to jsut walk into a verizon store with new phone and account info and they can activate right????
again thanks for taking the time....

Collapse -
Do that over the phone
by Pepe7 / May 27, 2009 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

You are less likely to get roped into buying something else if you try to do this in a retail store. Try online first. Just have your statement(s) in front of you for reference. Hope you can find a good deal on a phone you like online ;).

Collapse -
good to go
by ringer8 / May 27, 2009 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Do that over the phone

Thanks i'm going to try and find the appropriate phone

in a few days i'll let people know

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.