PC Applications forum

How to repair corrupt backup file?

by semnaitik / September 5, 2012 9:12 PM PDT

Recently I faced a system crash down. All my data including the main backup file has damaged. I had the same backup copy in my external hard drive. So I formatted my system and tried to restore my data from the backup present in external hard drive. But I couldn't do so as it was not opening. This error stops me "the backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used". Is there any method or an application which can repair this backup file? I can't afford such data loss. My data saved inside the backup file is really very valuable for me. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to repair corrupt backup file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to repair corrupt backup file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: corrupt file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 5, 2012 9:20 PM PDT

Since you didn't tell which backup program created that file, it's impossible to tell which program could posaibly repair it.

But the prospect is bad. My guess is that it is some custom format, and that only the maker of the program can offer support. And I'm afraid it won't be free, but that depends on their support policy. It's up to you then to decide if the value of the "very valuable" data is higher than their quote. If, for example, the value of that data is $1000 and you have to pay them $2000, it obviously doesn't make much sense to have it recovered.

This, by the way, is exactly the reason that we advise to stay away from backup programs that use their own proprietary format for the backup file. Just making a copy that you can read in Windows Explorer or Linux without using special software is the way we recommend.

Finally, let me remark that a backup only is useful if it can be read. So it's bad practice to delete the original without being sure it can be restored from the backup. The risk of losing it is just too big.

Collapse -
corrupt backup file
by semnaitik / September 5, 2012 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: corrupt file

I made my backup file by NT-Backup utility tool........
You are really very difficult to understand. And I can't afford a recovery application worth $2000. Though the data is truly valuable for me but the price you mentioned is literally out of my reach.

Collapse -
search google
by syncmaster632 / September 10, 2012 8:33 PM PDT

Search google you can find many backup repair tools. Download demo versions and try to recover your backup, but demo versions have some limitations you can preview the data but can't save it with demo version

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.