Windows 7 forum

Question

How to repair a compressed .bkf file?

by MickDSan / September 4, 2013 9:08 PM PDT

I'm using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2. Last week I backed up my crucial data by using it. Once I was done with the backup job, I compressed my .bkf file. So, the .bkf file was compressed. Here is the problem: It was last night when I was trying to restore that .bkf file, I failed. I couldn't restore any thing from it. It seems my file is corrupted, I have no idea how to fix it. As I have already mentioned that it contains my crucial data, that .bkf file is very important for me.
Please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to repair a compressed .bkf file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to repair a compressed .bkf file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: compressed file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 4, 2013 9:30 PM PDT

How did you compress that file? And why did you compress it?

Having crucial data in only one place (especially if it's a compressed proprietary format) is a rather bad idea, by the way. But you've noticed that already.

Kees

Collapse -
by MickDSan / September 5, 2013 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: compressed file
Kees_B asked: How did you compress that file?There is an option available with Backup Exec (BE). Compression can be done by editing the Backup Job Properties.

Kees_B asked: And why did you compress it?
A computer user uses compression technique to save disk space. I did the same.
Collapse -
Re: compressing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 6:20 PM PDT

Bad idea. Why save disk space if the external disk you backup to is 2 TB and your backup is, say, 50 GB?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: symantec backup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 7:10 PM PDT
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-fail-corrupt-file certainly makes me run away from this program for consumer use (and I, like you probably, am just an average PC user).

But it makes me ask you what the program actually did and said when the restore failed to restore any files and why you think that means that the file is corrupted.

And it makes me ask why any ordinary user would ever ever buy it. http://buy.symantec.com/estore/categoryDetailPage/skuType/Product/productCode/BEC-WS-EXP-LEM_2012_12MO_PC/ says it's for servers and it's $1000 at least.

So I'm thinking this whole thread is just a shill between you and willis to promote that program he recommends. Unless you come with a convincing story, I will be deleting this thread soon.

Kees

Kees
Collapse -
Answer
by Willis_M / September 4, 2013 10:48 PM PDT

I think you must look for some third-party applications for recovering data from corrupt .bkf files. Google can help you get a list of BKF repair or recovery software.
Thanks.

Collapse -
by MickDSan / September 5, 2013 2:49 PM PDT

I have never used such third-party recovery software, so I have no experience with them. I googled and got a huge list of such recovery software. I'm a bit confused which should be chosen. Please help me.

Collapse -
You should check this software.
by Willis_M / September 5, 2013 3:15 PM PDT

I just found something for you. It's SysInfoTools Backup Exec BKF Repair Pro software. I was searching on Google and found this software. As you corrupt .bkf file is in compressed form, this would be an ideal solution for you. It can recover data from multiple corrupt .bkf files and supports recovery of compressed .bkf files. It also supports recovery of a corrupt .bkf file that is split into multiple parts.
You can read more about this software on sysinfotools.com.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: recovery tool
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 6:17 PM PDT

It's only $349. That's not expensive for getting crucial data back. That is, if it works. Not all corruptions can be solved.

This clearly shows the risk of using proprietary backup software. Don't do that. The best backup of a file is a straight copy that you can read in all PC's. That copy can be on a UBS-stick, an external hard disk, another PC or server in your home network of some web-based storage like Dropbox or Skydrive.

Kees

Collapse -
by MickDSan / September 5, 2013 6:29 PM PDT

Thank u so much Wills_M for recommending me this software. I'll try it.
Regards.

Collapse -
Answer
Who to call next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 1:22 AM PDT

Symantec (they wrote it, it's proprietary so it's all theirs.)
Drivesavers.com They deal with data recovery every day. Might know the answer.

Bob

Collapse -
by MickDSan / September 5, 2013 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Who to call next.

Though they deal with data recovery everyday, but they don't deal with corrupt .bkf file.

Collapse -
by Willis_M / September 5, 2013 3:24 PM PDT

How did you come to know that they don't deal with corrupt .bkf files? I also visited their website, though I didn't find anything like backup or .bkf recovery, but you should contact them via phone or email whether they deal with corrupt .bkf files or don't.
Thanks.

Collapse -
by MickDSan / September 5, 2013 7:14 PM PDT

I read the full website and checked its products, but there was nothing like BKF Recovery in the website. I haven't contacted them yet, but I'll contact for sure.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Collapse -
Answer
Repair a compressed .bkf file with this tool
by rehanharris / September 5, 2013 10:26 PM PDT

Your compressed .bkf file are corrupted. Don't worry Repair's & restore data from the damaged and corrupt BKF file with the help of Kernel fro BKF Repair tool. This software successfully repairs the corrupted BKF file and restores the old data contained from .bkf file. To know more info: http://www.bkffilerepair.org

Collapse -
It's a lot cheaper than the product mentioned above.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 10:38 PM PDT

But maybe it's not as good?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
BKF Recovery Software
by jamesrodey / December 5, 2013 8:55 PM PST

If you are frustrated then you can get reliable application to open BKF file Database and easily restore the files on your disk with BKF Restore Software. The BKF Restore Software gives you the best results for the corrupt or inaccessible BKF file recovery process.

This Software takes few seconds to recover corrupt Windows backup files and restores all data such as image, spreadsheet, text, graph and stored procedures from corrupt BKF files.

http://www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/bkf-file-recovery-tool.html
Download the free trial version to see the preview of recoverable original results.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.