Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to rename a user profile on windows xp workstation?

by tailee / July 16, 2010 9:11 AM PDT

Hello here is the low down:
I have 10 workstations on a network. We have a high turn around in employees. What I would like to do is just to rename the user profile for a new employee instead of creating a new account. I do know how to rename the user on the server. My issue is that even though I renamed the domain user account to a new user the old user name still shows on the workstation in the c:\ documents and settings and the new doc that are created show the old user as the author. How can I change this to show the new user? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to rename a user profile on windows xp workstation?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to rename a user profile on windows xp workstation?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Local Proflies
by Darton Fury / July 16, 2010 9:30 AM PDT

Create an account on the workstation for the new employee and then copy over the profile you want.

Collapse -
Sadly that's not a supported feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 10:03 AM PDT

Google the following to learn more about profiles and how to copy them.

Without much fuss you could create a script to automate this.

Collapse -
Copying user profile
by tailee / July 16, 2010 10:18 AM PDT

Thank you for your quick response both of you. Let just see if I got this start. Add the new user to the domain. Then log into the workstation under the new user. Then Log in as a administrator. Then follow these steps(I googled)
1 Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.

2 Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.

3 Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:

* Ntuser.dat
* Ntuser.dat.log
* Ntuser.ini

4 On the Edit menu, click Copy.
5 Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
6 On the Edit menu, click Paste.
7 Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user
Is this correct? Or better yet how or what would the script be to automate this?
Thank you again

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Copying user profile

But I would treat it like a corrupt profile and follow Microsoft's article as to how to copy the files over. Then what's left is for you to test it out.

Collapse -
Thank you
by tailee / July 20, 2010 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Thank you so much for your assistance. I would like to verify something before I try this. I don't have to create a new local user just a new domain user. I just want to make sure I am not missing something. Can I ask your advise on something else?

Thank you so much

Collapse -
Microsoft writes about that too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2010 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

"You may have reason to copy a defined user profile to a number of users. This presents each user with an identical initial profile at logon. Each user can then modify this profile as required."

Sounds like an answer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.