How To forum

Resolved Question

How to remove Webshots and/or Smile from my PC?

by morlaine / October 22, 2012 3:30 AM PDT

I've used the free version of Webshots for many years and now that they are becoming Smile, they are no longer free. Does anyone know how to remove Webshots or Smile from my PC? I contacted Webshots and asked how to remove it, their only option was for me to transition to Smile. Not an option on a limited budget. I looked at the Control Panel in Programs and Features and neither is listed there. It is not listed in the Startup menu either. Where else can I look? Do I have to edit the Registry File? Thanks for your suggestions, morlaine

morlaine has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove Webshots and/or Smile from my PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove Webshots and/or Smile from my PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by morlaine

Collapse -
Webshots Desktop
by Rick_Sp / October 22, 2012 11:34 AM PDT

If you're using Webshots Desktop offline, you can still use it.... more on that later.
First, of course, you need to remove Smile... which was invasive to say the least.
If you want to see more on this debacle, see the Facebook page for Webshots... at least until they remove all the negative comments.
OK... First, stop it from running. Either close it from the task notification area, or, stop all processes that have either 'smile' or 'webshots' in them.
Then, try to remove it using Add/Remove programs...and then search for all files or folders that have 'smile' or 'webshots' in it.... and also the term 'supplant'.... as smile put in some files called 'webshots supplant'....reboot and check again. Smile put some files in the prefetch files, so that's why the repetition.

You should now be good and have it uninstalled, but you can still use the old webshots software, but you can't get it from Smile/Webshots.... but it's readily available online. Then search for either 'WebshotsDesktopSetup.exe' (I think CNET still hosts it)... or, an older one: 'wbsamp5.exe'.... install that....and then never update.

Collapse -
Question about folders associated with Webshots
by morlaine / October 22, 2012 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Webshots Desktop

After three weeks, I finally got a response from Smile. They suggested I install Smile and then remove it using the Control Panel. I installed it but when I went to uninstall it, it said it would delete all components. So now my question is, will it also remove my files that I associated with Webshots so it could display pictures that I've taken, or pictures from other websites on the internet, not pictures just from Webshots. I would be really upset if I lost all my pictures.

Thanks for the suggestion of using Webshots and just not updating it. That's what I'll do after getting this Smile situation resolved. It's certainly not making me Smile.
Thanks for your help, morlaine

Collapse -
Re: losing pics
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 22, 2012 6:17 PM PDT

Generally, uninstalling a program never deletes things you MADE using that program. It only removes what was put on your PC during the install.

But it won't harm at all to make a copy of thos pics you don't want to lose before you uninstall that program.

In fact, they should already be on your regular backup. That is for the simple reason that if your hard disk crashes you lose them if you don't have a copy elsewhere. Don't you make backups?

Kees

Collapse -
Backups???
by morlaine / October 23, 2012 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: losing pics

I haven't exactly figured out how to make backups except by just copying individual folders. Guess I should pursue that with more vigor. Happy
Thanks for the suggestion. morlaine

Collapse -
Rd: backup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 23, 2012 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Backups???

Copying individual folders is a good start, especially if it includes folders like your My Documents or My Pictures.

For a more advanced - and still free - option, see Microsofts Synctoy. Shouldn't be too difficult. Be sure that backup copy is on another disk or at another PC in your home network.

Kees

Collapse -
I forgot the link.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 23, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Rd: backup
Collapse -
Webshots Desktop
by marcyb53 / November 7, 2012 6:38 AM PST

When I search for any of these items, nothing shows up however I have located the webshots supplant folder in my C drive and removed it and all the contents. However, when I restart my computer the pop up continues to appear asking if I want to re-try and install the program. I have done this repeatedly, even emptying my recycling bin but can't get rid of it. It doesn't show up under add/remove programs or any searches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
Webshots Desktop
by Rick_Sp / November 7, 2012 9:14 AM PST

Hmmm...... strange.
See if you missed something in this:
Search... all files and folders .... make sure that both 'looking in hidden folders' and 'looking in system files and folders' are both selected.
Delete anything with 'webshots' 'supplant' or 'smile' in the title (unless, of course, it's obviously unrelated)
(... and only do it after you've found your pics and moved them elsewhere).

Make sure you delete the entry that's found in the prefetch folder. If you don't get that one, it will come back. Reboot. Search again. If you now find nothing, you should be clean and can install an old version of webshots as discussed.... and never ever go to Help/ Software updates.

If it still comes back, try the additional options I listed at the end here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/wscommunity/discuss/72157631865562131/

I hope that helps..
... Rick

Collapse -
Webshots Desktop
by marcyb53 / November 8, 2012 5:23 AM PST

Sorry this is too complicated for me... I'm using Windows 7 - where do I click hidden folders and system files and folders? And I don't know what the prefetch folder is. Sad

Marcy

Collapse -
Finally success in removing Smile
by morlaine / November 7, 2012 9:16 AM PST

I installed Smile, then uninstalled it through the Control Panel, then installed an old version of Webshots off the internet. But everytime I started the laptop, Smile tried to update Webshots. I then uninstalled Webshots and then installed it again. The same problem with Smile. Then I uninstalled Webshots again, using Windows Explorer I deleted everything that said Webshots or Smile. Then I installed Webshots again, and still the same problem with Smile. BTW, I re-booted between all these steps. Then I uninstalled Webshots, and all files in Windows Explorer, again. Then I did regedit on the registry file and removed the references to Webshots/Smile. I re-installed Webshots, same problem with Smile. Then by doing Ctl/Alt/Del and opening Task Manager, I found where the Smile process was running and I highlighted it, did a right click and selected Open File Location. It opened it in a Temporary folder. I deleted it and finally, no more problems with Smile. If nothing else, I am persistent. Happy Problem solved and now I'm able to use Webshots offline as you suggested. Thanks for the help and suggestions, morlaine

Collapse -
More info here
by Rick_Sp / December 16, 2012 10:57 PM PST
Collapse -
I still have WebshotsDesktopSetup.exe, won't login install
by kjsett / February 8, 2013 7:48 AM PST

I get as far as the login screen, but can't get past that (says login and password wrong). Are we all out of luck?

Collapse -
Another alternative...
by Rick_Sp / February 8, 2013 9:12 AM PST

Hmmm.... I hadn't seen a login.... I'm guessing there are newer and older versions of WebshotsDesktopSetup.exe (?) One safe solution would be just to use the older version wbsamp5.exe ... which is readily available as a download.

Collapse -
SMILE
by runt66 / March 25, 2014 3:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Another alternative...

I HAVE BEEN ADVISED TO GET RID OF SMILE FROM MY PC ; IF I UNINSTALL SMILE FROM MY PC , WILL I LOSE ALL MY PHOTOS IN MY SMILE FOLDER ????

Collapse -
I'm going with yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: SMILE

Then again you could backup first.
Bob

Collapse -
TY
by runt66 / March 25, 2014 6:07 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with yes.

HOW DO I BACK UP ???

I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA AND HP DESKTOP PC .

Collapse -
Re: backup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 25, 2014 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: TY

Given your question about losing pictures in the smile folder, I'd copy those pictures to somewhere else before that folder might be deleted by uninstalling smile. That's kind of a backup.

In fact, making a copy somewhere else is recommended for everything you don't want to lose. That, in general, is called "backup". It's your own choice WHAT to backup (because it can't be easily replaced) and what not to backup (because it's easy to re-install, for example, or just a downloaded movie you've already seen). And it's your choice where copy TO. If you want to be safe for a failing hard disk, it's obvious you shouldn't use the same hard disk as the original. Good choices in such a case are
- another PC in your home network
- an external hard disk
- a USB-stick
- somewhere on the web (like Dropbox or Google docs)

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.