How To forum

Question

How to remove Ukash virus??

by nathanw10101 / April 8, 2013 2:53 AM PDT

Hi,

I got infected with the Ukash virus last night and I'm unsure as to what to do now...

I have two user accounts, admin(infected) and standard user (logged on this one now) I have no way of getting onto the admin account, due to the virus taking over my screen.
Whilst on my standard user account I have searched youtube and different forums and really can't find a way to get rid of this virus. I see people suggesting to run in safe mode... I have tried this but as soon as I opt for safe mode, the virus logs me off and shuts down my computer.
I can log on safe mode without networking though, that works.
I did get really tired of trying to find a way around it, so i tried a system restore but the virus stops me from doing this also.
My next option was to format the drive, but obviously with me being a standard user I cannot do this, access denied.

Can any one think of anything that could possibly help me?

I'd be extremely greatful.

Thanks in advance guys.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove Ukash virus??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove Ukash virus??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Boot from a repair disc
by wpgwpg / April 8, 2013 3:13 AM PDT

If Windows 7 or 8 you can boot from a repair disc and do a System Restore to an earlier date. Since you didn't say what version of Windows you have, I can't be more specific. You see my dog broke my crystal ball. Mischief

Collapse -
Answer
Here's a possible fix link
by Willy / April 8, 2013 4:36 AM PDT
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/30e72579-a13b-4573-b331-1e02d8f5b425/

I did a quick check and found most other fixes require access to safe mode w/networking. If yours continues to fight you, then you need other media that's not infected that launches from its disc or flash drive.

I avast a/v software, so if you care or don't have a/v, then get it. The best part is to install and when it asks, to a "boot scan" allow it to do so. It will then reboot and do an immediate scan before it loads the OS(prevents baddies) and thus has a chance to remove the virus.

tada -----Willy Happy
Collapse -
Answer
Advice on removing Ukash ransomware
by UkashUK / April 14, 2013 8:14 PM PDT

Hi Nathan,

Sorry to hear that you've been affected by this ransomware scam. Although it is not in any way related to Ukash, we'd suggest you look at the following site, which may help you to remove the virus from your computer: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/shared/ransomware.aspx#recover

Your security software provider or computer support company may also offer a solution.

You should also report the scam to the appropriate law enforcement agency. If you have obtained a Ukash code in connection with the scam, please also let us know.

For tips on keeping yourself and your money safe in the future, take a look at our online security tips: http://www.ukash.com/en-GB/security-tips/

Collapse -
Answer
Ukash removal
by tomthumbuk / September 15, 2013 12:14 AM PDT

Try Malwarebytes or Hitman.
You can download it free and transfer it via a memory stick.
It worked for me.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
How to remove
by jetoiler / October 10, 2013 3:54 PM PDT

Hi nathan.

I got hit by the damn thing, too. I went into safe mode after shutting down and restarting (F8 repeatedly after starting up again) and went into "safe mode". Then I logged back into my computer via administrator. I know you said you were having issues with this but it worked for me. Then I did a system restore from earlier today. Once I did that, it worked for me.

Hope all is okay now.

Collapse -
Answer
How to remove Ukash virus.
by tomthumbuk / November 24, 2013 8:15 AM PST

This is how I got rid of it.
I was unable to get safe mode as the pc kept closing down.
When I opened up there were a few seconds before the window was blocked.
During that very short period I clicked on a program on my desk top, it happened to be CCleaner.
Then the Ukash screen went up.
I pressed control, alt, delete to shut down, then before it shut down it informed me that they were waiting for two programmes to close.
I then clicked on the one for CCleaner and it then activated and I was able to access the start menu.
I did a system restore and hey presto! it was gone.
If you can't get a system restore to work, go to another computer and save Malwarebytes, (if I am correct, Google it!) Save it to a memory stick and if you can access your PC in the manner I did you should be able to run the program and it will remove it.
That's it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.