Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

how to remove the audio from video file?

by rubied / June 11, 2007 3:36 PM PDT

I downloaded some interesting videos, and want to redub in them using video edit software and send them to my friends. I tried Windows Movie Maker, it can mute the audio of source video, and add new audio. But I really want to remove the audio from source video completely, rather than mute.
Who can kindly recommend me some software? Many thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to remove the audio from video file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to remove the audio from video file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Imtoo MPEG Encoder
by sisily / June 12, 2007 7:05 PM PDT

Imtoo MPEG Encoder works, if u work under Windows. After importing video files, u will find Disable Audio option in the right setting area, just check True, then the audio will be removed from the video file. moreover, it supports almost all video file formats

Collapse -
thanks
by rubied / June 13, 2007 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Imtoo MPEG Encoder

i heard that VirtualDub works if the video file is AVI. but some of my videos' are not AVI. thanks sisily, maybe i can have a try, though it's a shareware

Collapse -
how about it
by sisily / June 14, 2007 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

have u tried Imtoo MPEG Encoder? how about it?

Collapse -
yeah, i tried it
by rubied / June 15, 2007 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: how about it

yeah, i tried it. it can only convert 5 minutes in the trial version, but the effect is rather satisfying

Collapse -
Removing audio
by Les28 / June 13, 2007 4:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
i haven't tried SUPER
by rubied / June 15, 2007 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Removing audio

i haven't tried SUPER, wish it works for me, many thanks

Collapse -
Remove audio from a video file
by TobyTobin / June 15, 2007 9:50 PM PDT

I currently use Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 which provides the ability to completely remove the audio and replace it with your own recorded audio track. The replaced track can be other recorded information or your own recorded voice. Of course there are other video editors such as Pinnacle Studio and others, all for around $100.

Since these programs really concentrate on the video portion, it is like shooting a mouse with an elephant gun to use them just for audio work. But, they all edit and replace audio very well and quite easily.

Collapse -
thanks
by rubied / June 15, 2007 11:03 PM PDT

^_^ it's indeed like shooting a mouse with an elephant gun, for i don't need so comprehensive functions. thanks all the same

Collapse -
with the help of movie maker or nero7
by froster_mohit / June 15, 2007 10:53 PM PDT

first find out the length of your video track and then start sound recorder or any multimedia player which can record sound.Start recording and you must check that no sound is recorded by it.Record till the length of your video track.You must be patient and you should leave your system idle till the sound is recorded.Save that file.Then open windows movie maker import that audio track and drag it to the audio timeline.Then click on save movie to my computer.Then save movie.In this way you can remove your audio files from video files.Actually you are not removing audio but overwriting on it with an empty audio track.Thus size of the file is also reduced.It is just like deleting many written cells from an excel file and pasting empty cells.
If you like my suggestion,please write to me at
frosterrace@yahoo.co.in
This is first suggestion in my life.I am too young to give suggestion to people like you.I am just of 9 years.So,please give me your feedback

Collapse -
very clever solution
by rubied / June 15, 2007 11:46 PM PDT

u are really smart, it's indeed a practicable and clever way. thanks for paying attention to my problem, and thinking out so clever solution. it's hard to imagin u are just 9 years old, thanks very very much

Collapse -
Thanks
by froster_mohit / June 16, 2007 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: very clever solution

Thanks for reply, I am very happy that you liked my solution

Collapse -
Removing Sound From Video Files
by Burks6791 / September 15, 2008 10:17 PM PDT

Thanks for your advice. I haven't actually done it yet, but I'm sure it will work.

Collapse -
Anyone?
by Hood97uK / March 2, 2011 12:46 AM PST

Does anybody ever think about people on mac? any software or something like that would be good and for mac..?

Collapse -
3 years later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Anyone?

You may want to make a new post. Also it might work better in one of the CNET Apple forums.
Bob

Collapse -
CNET Forums for MAC
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 2, 2011 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: Anyone?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.