Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to remove System Volume Information Virus?

by Edhec10 / January 4, 2009 5:37 PM PST

I think I have System Volume Information virus on my laptop.Im using Norton Internet Security 2008.I using window XP home edition.
Im trying to remove the files for both drive c and my partition drive thru system restore disable but when I restart still there.
Can someone help me?

thanks

Edhec10

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove System Volume Information Virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove System Volume Information Virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: removing system volume information virus
by Kees Bakker / January 4, 2009 6:00 PM PST

Disabling System restore on a volume is generally seen as the way to delete all files in the System Volume Information on that volume. You say it doesn't work with you. So my questions are:
- what do mean with "system volume information virus"?
- why do you think you have it on your laptop?
- what's the difference between "drive c" and "partition drive"?
- what does Norton have to say about the virus?
- do a webbased scan like Trend Micro Housecall; what does it say?

Kees

Collapse -
RE:
by Edhec10 / January 4, 2009 11:26 PM PST

Yes still the hidden files of system volume information are still on my files.
I think the virus is attacking my system or both c drive and e drive.
Someone tell trojan virus but the norton internet security already deleted that but when I formatted my drive e ( another partition ) still the recycler and system volume information are appearing but zero bytes.

thanks

Collapse -
Yep, Temporarily Disable System Restore..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2009 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: RE:
How To Disable System Restore

After disabling system restore on the drives where infections are found, then restart the computer and re-enable SR again, any infected files in System Volume Information will be gone.

Hope this helps.

Grif
Collapse -
Sorry, but your very unclear ...
by Kees Bakker / January 5, 2009 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

and not answering any of my questions.

Kees

Collapse -
RE: how to remove the system information virus?
by Edhec10 / January 5, 2009 2:52 PM PST

Hi kees
Disabling System restore on a volume is generally seen as the way to delete all files in the System Volume Information on that volume. You say it doesn't work with you. So my questions are:

- what do mean with "system volume information virus"? I think a virus created two folders on C:/drive namely system volume information and recycler

- why do you think you have it on your laptop? I dont have any Idea because every time I run the norton internet security the result say no risk.

- what's the difference between "drive c" and "partition drive"? I created two drive, C:/ where my system are installed and 1 drive for all my back up files.

- what does Norton have to say about the virus? Last 3weeks it was detected having trojan but already cleaned but still the two hidden files are appearing for both drives.I already formatted the partition drive but still cant erase the two files (system volume information & Recycler)

- do a webbased scan like Trend Micro Housecall; what does it say?
I haven't try yet the trend I will check later.and let you know..

thanks again,

Collapse -
Re: virus
by Kees Bakker / January 5, 2009 4:21 PM PST

System volume information and Recycler are standard Windows XP folders. There first is used to store the information about restore points. The second is the recycle bin. They are present on all XP systems you'll find.

So there's nothing wrong. Stop worrying, stop researching. Start using this machine.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.