The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How to remove smoke smell from apartment?

by awinn233 / July 18, 2006 8:23 AM PDT

I just moved into a new apartment and there used to be smokers in my bedroom which totally reeks. Does anyone know how to get rid of this smell? I tried using Oust, but that didn't work and I don't think airing out the room will work either. Can anyone help me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove smoke smell from apartment?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove smoke smell from apartment?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
clean like mad
by rosscbrown / July 18, 2006 8:57 AM PDT

clean all the surfaces, even if they look clean!

Collapse -
So I should clean walls and ceiling?
by awinn233 / July 18, 2006 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: clean like mad

I guess I could shampoo the carpet too. Ugh so much work.

Collapse -
Definitely!
by timtilley / July 18, 2006 7:50 PM PDT

The carpets are probably the main source of the smell. Shampoo them a couple of times to be absolutely certain! And just keep the windows open as much as you can.

Collapse -
Air it out + Febreeze
by jialuolu-2096123418310153 / July 18, 2006 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: clean like mad

My friend's dad recently quit smoking and they opened all the windows and doors for the entire weekend and probably used 2 bottles of Febreeze but now you can't smell the smoke anymore

Collapse -
As a heavy smoker I can advice:
by SantiagoCrespo / July 18, 2006 9:07 AM PDT

1. get rid of the courtains.
2. get rid of the carpets (they'll always smell).
3. have all the air ducts and vents professionally clean.
4. if there's any wall-mounted A/C, have it professionally cleaned too.
5. if the apartment has wallpaper, have it changed.

of the five points above, the single most important one is the vents and air ducts, and all the A/C filters, because they will trap the smell and recirculate it around the house ad infinitum ad nauseam.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) start smoking, you'll get used to it.
by csliva11 / July 18, 2006 9:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Had same problem...
by null--- / July 18, 2006 10:05 AM PDT

I fixed it by opening all the windows in the room though the night for about a month. Also I got carpet de-odorizer...

Remember, smoke also gets into the walls and ceiling, so somehow clean them too.

Collapse -
ok, but
by awinn233 / July 18, 2006 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Had same problem...

Leaving the winow open for an extended period is out of the question because I live on the first floor and there are no screens on the windows! I already have a bug problem without opening up the windows. I'll try washing down the walls and ceiling and replacing the air filter. The problem is mainly in one room only, so I'm hoping that cleaning the walls with do the trick. The carpet is new (at least that's what they told me) so I don't think that's the problem.

Collapse -
On your hands and knees please...
by timtilley / July 19, 2006 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: ok, but

One way to eliminate the carpet...Sniff it! That's right get your nose right down there and have a good sniff. At close quarters you'll be able to determine if it smells.

Are there any fittings (other than the carpet) that were left by the previous owners? Even curtains (drapes?) can absorb those nasty smells.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No drapes, but blinds.
by awinn233 / July 19, 2006 1:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
A shame...
by jerry128 / July 18, 2006 10:10 AM PDT

I find it somewhat ironic that the country (USA) that got the rest of the world's population addicted to tobacco is rapidly on the decline of the smoking habit. When I was in France a couple of years ago, my buddy and I joked that in Europe, the babies must come out of the womb, the doctor smacks it on the butt and shoves a cigarette in its mouth Happy - it's that prevalent.

Travel abroad and you begin to understand why Big Tobacco doesn't give a rat's **** if all of America gives up the habit; they've got over 5 billion other potential sheep to slaughter.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) paint apartment
by robstak / July 18, 2006 12:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Visit on beach hotels on your vacation
by sharadmsspl / November 4, 2009 5:39 PM PST

What is your idea to visit on beach hotels on your vacation?
What would be the most comfortable and glamorous option?

Any suggestions?

Hope have a good time ahead with you all.

Cheers!
Sharad

Collapse -
This thread belongs in "Speakeasy"...
by shmody / November 4, 2009 9:21 PM PST

This thread belongs in "Speakeasy"...

http://forums.cnet.com/speakeasy-forum/?tag=rb_mtx;f06-fd

But, I'd say the smell is not your problem to solve - it's the apartment management's problem to solve based on you bringing up the grievance. If the management is any good, they'll deal with it. If not, then it looks like you're going to have to do it yourself.

Best,
Shalin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.