Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to remove restricted sites in Internet Options?

by pluther / September 23, 2005 4:23 PM PDT

In Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options> Security> Restricted Sites> Sites, I get a list of restricted sites and told that I can add or remove sites, but when I remove these sites, they are removed only for a second and then they are back. How can I remove them permanently? I never put any sites in here, they're just there. I want to do this because I am unable to link to many (innocent) links in I.E. but get a 1" mini-window with a big red X slashed across it and a beep, forbidding access, and I think these "restricted sites" might be the problem. (When I use Firefox, I never get these big red X's, but I like I.E. better and want to use it).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove restricted sites in Internet Options?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove restricted sites in Internet Options?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jackintucson / September 24, 2005 6:02 AM PDT

This might be a good time to use some anti-spyware/adware/virus and registry cleaner software. I recommend that you use two of each with the exception of the anti-virus. Do a search on "spyware" "anti-virus" etc.etc. on these forums to get a good list of what is out there. Go to some of these site and download their free scanners and run them to get an idea of what sort of malware is on your system.

You might also try doing a "system restore" to a point prior to your first noticing this problem.

Let us know and good luck!

and life goes on...

Collapse -
I have these protections
by pluther / September 28, 2005 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: pluther...

What happens on your computer in restricted sites? Do you get a list, and can you remove them without them popping right back up? As far as restore, I think these sites have been there forever. The big red X thing started some time ago also. Have you ever heard of it? It's only in Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
What protections do you have?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 28, 2005 6:59 AM PDT

Anti-spyware utilities like SpywareBlaster lists many sites that are restricted, and may place this list into IE's Restricted zone.

If you have a utility like that, then you must remove it from the utility first.

Also check your Hosts file, (C\Windows\System32\DRivers\Etc, right click the Hosts file and select Notepad to open it), see if the web site you are trying to open is re-routed to IP address localhost.

If it is, then IE is being re-routed back to your own computer each time it searches for the site. But that is not likely to be the cause if the site works in other browsers.

Collapse -
by pluther / September 29, 2005 2:58 PM PDT

I have spybot search and destroy; norton Internet security (anti-virus, etc.,); windows firewall; registry mechanic; I followed MarkFlax's directions and got as far as drivers/etc., but didn't find "host." I did get a message "Cmmon32.exe: file not found"; and everytime I shut down, I get a box saying "cmmon32.exe not responding", so I have to click "end now." I don't know if that's relevant.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 29, 2005 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Protections

This is what says about ccmon32.exe.

"Microsoft Connection Manager Monitor. Little known Microsoft program on which there is no documentation. We have only ever seen it used in conjunction with the Internet dialler provided by some ISPs ? we still do not know what it actually does.

Recommendation :
There seems to be a definite impact on the performance of the PC when this background task is running. We do not have a specific recommendation yet, but in our case, whenever we have terminated the task the PC?s performance has improved, the Internet connection has stayed up, and we have observed no consequences as a result of terminating CMMON32."

So, I'm not sure why you are seeing that message come up. Also, I'm not clear from what you say where this message appears. Is this when you tried to access the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc folder, or when you take some other action?

Do a search for Hosts from the Start menu search option, but like I say, it is unlikely to be your hosts file if you can access the web pages in another browser.

I still feel it is one of your anti-malware utilities placing this/these web sites into your IE restricted area.

Collapse -
Pluther and Mark...
by jackintucson / September 30, 2005 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: ccmon32.exe

I have S&D and Registry Mechanic. I do not have (nor will I ever) Norton's stuff. I also don't use Windows firewall. I just did a search on my system for cmmon.exe and it wasn't there. So the conclusion is this:

Either Windows firewall is putting the list there. I don't think so.

Norton's stuff is putting it there. I doubt that also.

Or IE has been hi-jacked. This is the probable problem. I suggest getting CWShredder and running it. It's free:

What have you got to lose?? Hope this works because I've run out of ideas here. And I really hate that!!!

and life goes on...

Collapse -
I would agree,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Pluther and Mark...

but I don't see this as a browser hijack problem. What Pluther seems to be saying is that he cannot ''remove'' a site, (or more than one, not sure), from IE's restricted site list, (Internet Options, Security tab, Restricted Sites, then Sites button).

A browser hijack would attempt to allow IE to goto sites that Pluther doesn't want to go to, and then force IE to load that site. That doesn't seem to be the problem here as Pluther hasn't said that he is being forced to visit sites he doesn't want to visit.

I've just checked Internet Options and under the Privacy tab there is also a list of sites. I've never used this before, but if Pluther's site he wants to visit is also listed here as being blocked, then he should try and remove it from this list as well.

But like I have said, anti-spyware utilities create their own list of restricted sites and plug them into IE. I wonder if any of Pluther's anti-malware utilities has done this in his case.

Collapse -
by pluther / September 30, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

Thanks, Jack. I downloaded and ran the shredder, and it said I don't have cool web. But I appreciate the help and time. I'm amazed that so many people are so willing to help strangers, especially relative novices who aren't nearly as expert.

Collapse -
Pluther... it's a
by jackintucson / October 1, 2005 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: cwschredder

numbers game. If enough of us make different suggestions, we're bound to hit on it sooner or later. More often sooner than later. But in your case it may take a bit later. I would sure be interested in knowing what the final solution is here, short of having to reformat the drive and start over. That's is ultimately what we try to prevent here. But sometimes there is no other way and we pray that the problem goes away. Good Luck!

and life goes on...

Collapse -
Spybot + something protecting your hosts file.
by Gnaglor / September 6, 2012 2:16 AM PDT

The list of restricted sites you have most likely comes from Spybot and it's Immunization process. You can also put Spybot in advanced mode and check your hosts file to see if it's added its own list. Make sure teatimer isn't running either as it's complete garbage. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
by pluther / September 30, 2005 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ccmon32.exe

Thanks for taking your time on this, MarkFlax. Everytime I shut down, a little window says "ccmon32.exe not responding." I click "end now" and it ends and the computer shuts down. I mentioned it because when I followed the procedure "C>...drivers/etc." the ccmon32.exe came up as the address.
But this doesn't worry me too much. When you remove sites from "restricted sites" do they immediately reappear after they seem to be all deleted, when you click on restricted sites? That's my problem. I don't know if this is related to my Big Red X window when I try to access links, because I get the Big Red X on many, many innocent sites. Right-clicking and "open in new window" almost always opens the links.

Collapse -
Restricted site
by Maisie663 / October 2, 2005 5:25 AM PDT

I found same thing you did and deleted them out--they returned on the next boot and list got large--then I got SpyBot and they are all blocked now and the list still grows. I don't know how they got in there either--in fact it gave me chills first time I seen it Good Luck

Collapse -
At least I'm not alone
by pluther / October 3, 2005 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Restricted site

Thanks. If somebody reads this and has this same problem (and I think it's more common than people realize) maybe someone will have an answer. There are no sites listed as "restricted" that I have ever accessed or want to link to, but the fact that I.E. says they can be removed, but they pop back up, concerns me. My real problem is the big red X and beep that comes up when I click on many links in I.E. (I'm not talking about the tiny red x in a black box that represents a blocked image, this one is almost 3/4".) I think just maybe this is linked to the restriced sites, but none of the links I click on are on the restricted sites. So far, no one else has ever seen this big red X. I don't get it in Firefox.

Collapse -
I think
by Themisive / October 3, 2005 8:41 PM PDT
In reply to: At least I'm not alone

that I may have the answer to the problem, do you have html enabled in the messaging, and do you stay connected to the 'net when you're reading your mail - if the answer to the first is yes and the second is no, then what's happening is that IE is trying to get illustrations from the 'net, but can't.

Try altering your message format to rich text, the problem should go away.

Collapse -
by Maisie663 / October 4, 2005 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: I think

I maybe misunderstanding you--are we on same subject--I doubt this going reflect on our disgussion--need more details. Thanks

Collapse -
by Themisive / October 4, 2005 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: ?????????

Basically, when your e-mail client receives a message it will display that message BUT if it is set to display as HTML, then it will try to force your browser to connect to the 'net, as the illustrations need an internet connection to be shown. If there isn't one, then you get a box, either onlong or square where the illustration should be, with a red X in thew top corner.

To get round it, all you need to do is to alter the way the e-mail client displays the messages.

Collapse -
No, not that tiny red X: a BIG red X
by pluther / October 7, 2005 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I know what you're talking about; pictures that don't load but show a tiny black box with a little red x. What I get (and no one else seems to know anything about) is a small (about 3/4") microsoft window that has a smaller red and yellow box inside, and a BIG red X slashed across it, with a horn-tone, which won't allow me to open a link. It's like a control, but I don't have any parental controls or anything like that. If I right-click, usually I can access the site by "open in new window," but it's a pain. This does not happen with Firefox, so sometimes out of frustration I use Firefox as my default browser. This happens on almost all links in I.E.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.