Computer Newbies

General discussion

How to remove or delete unwanted screensavers?

by yonsi / January 5, 2005 5:52 AM PST

When installing some software,they installed also their screensavers and when the program was uninstalled,their screensavers titled remain but not functioning, but I cannot remove or delete them from my system as there seems to be no option provided to delete them.Anyone can solve this problem? Even in other Windows Operating System,there is no provision for removing/deleting unwanted screensavers. Am using Windows XP Home Edition,Version 5.1 SP2 Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove or delete unwanted screensavers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove or delete unwanted screensavers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
first look at the display/Properties/Screensaver tab
by TONI H / January 5, 2005 6:16 AM PST

and click each one listed to see what they look like so you can decide which ones you want to keep and which you want to get rid of. Write down the ones you plan to delete.

Now go to Search and Files and Folders....and type in *.scr for the filename and click Find Now.

As all the screensavers show up on the right hand side, you can then right click and delete the ones that are on your written list.

TONI

Collapse -
first look at the display/Properties/Screensaver tab
by yonsi / January 7, 2005 8:31 AM PST

Hi Toni Many thanks,did that and a lot of file names appears including a few screensavers,now had to look for the one I want to remove but couldnt find it,it's

Collapse -
go to Search/Find
by TONI H / January 7, 2005 10:49 AM PST

look for Files and Folders, and type

AVAST as the file name.......click Find Now.

Whatever remnants that are left over from that program should show up on the right hand side if you click Advanced and make sure checks are in the boxes for System and Hidden folders, and Sub Folders.

If for some reason, windows sees any of Avast's files as 'system or hidden' files, you will need to go into Windows Explorer, click Tools/Options and View tab. Now take the check marks out of 'hide system and hidden files' and put a dot in 'show all files'. Click Apply, then click the top button that says 'like current folder' and click OK at the window that pops up. Now close that window and do your search again.

You can now right click and delete any AVAST files that show up since you have uninstalled that program and the .scr file for the screensaver should show up to be deleted as well.

TONI

Collapse -
go to Search/Find
by yonsi / January 8, 2005 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: go to Search/Find

Thanks Toni,that works,19 files came up including some Avast Files plus the screensaver which is 88kb size,in C:\Windows/System32,it should be save if I also delete all remnants of Avast as well as they will just fill up my system unnecessarily,anyway I will remove the unwanted screensaver first as I know now what to do,and also for next time if same thing happens again, thanks to you,Toni.
Cheers 4 now until time hi Rgds.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad I could help
by TONI H / January 8, 2005 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: go to Search/Find
Collapse -
removing and/or deleting screen savers
by chrisntony / January 10, 2005 11:53 PM PST

I followed your instructions and did find where my screen savers are in the search window. I count 13 screen savers in my display properties and 45 showed up in search. All the screen savers were repeated three times, WHY? How would I go about putting new ones on my computer from a previous computer?

Chrisntony
Thanks

Collapse -
More than likely
by TONI H / January 11, 2005 12:25 AM PST

the extra screensavers you found in the search are located within the 'Themes' folder and unless you install the Theme in the Display area, they won't load or be listed there.

Keep in mind that many of the screensavers you download and install from the net include some type of spyware within the installer program they use. If you want to protect yourself from spyware, search only for .scr types of files to download that don't come with an installer and then just drag a copy of that file to your C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System folder for W98/ME and C:\Windows\System32 folder for XP and they will show up after a reboot in the Display/Screensaver list. Even if what you have downloaded is a .zip file, you can extract the files and just drag the .scr file to the correct location (choose COPY HERE with a right mouse drag) and don't use the setup.exe installer if you can get away with not using it)

TONI

Collapse -
try this
by atool / January 7, 2005 11:31 PM PST

screensaver cant be deleted..u hv to uninstall them...go to control panel/add remove progrmme and find the name of screensaver there...uninstall it

Collapse -
try this
by yonsi / January 8, 2005 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: try this

Thanks atool,try that but no screensaver/s there,anyway problem now solved.

Thanks for your help.

cheers

Collapse -
deleting screensavers
by nude0007 / January 12, 2009 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: try this

I got one from Lightning Data Web. It is a 3Dsolar.scr a 3d solar system. It doesn't show up in control panel, and I can't delete it in System 32. It says disk full or access denied. I have full access (when looking at permissions, I have all boxes checked on this file). It has almost never worked right, and now I can't find any way to get rid of it.

Collapse -
Try Deleting From Safe Mode Or...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 12, 2009 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: deleting screensavers

....try reinstalling the program again, then uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs....OR.... the Start Menu, IF it has an uninstall link...OR....check the Program Files directory for the program IF it was installed as a program...OR....use the Unlocker program to delete the file, and Windows Installer Cleanup Utility below to clean out the remnants of the installation afterwards:

Unlocker
http://www.scanwith.com/Unlocker_download.htm

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
screensaver
by garyh1546 / November 22, 2010 12:26 AM PST

Hi, i would just like to thank you, your solution worked a treat.
Gary

Collapse -
Just want to add for the sake of it
by PKsteven / November 22, 2010 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: screensaver

Maybe I missed it above,"If I did, I apologize" but I didn't see mentioned where the screensaver was not in use. When a screensaver is being uninstalled, even if NOT running, just chosen as main screensaver in the options, it can remain and seem like a pain to get rid of. I have run into this many times, either I choose "none" or choose a different saver, then it's much easier to uninstall\delete.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.