Computer Help forum

General discussion

how to remove: control, alt, delete to begin - at bootup

by gklein / November 28, 2004 12:14 PM PST

winXP,Pro, 512ram, pent4;
I do not recall what I did or changed to creat this requirement during bootup.
I ran: spybot, adaware, and McAfee latest update scan.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to remove: control, alt, delete to begin - at bootup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to remove: control, alt, delete to begin - at bootup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: how to remove: control, alt, delete to begin - at bootu
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 28, 2004 12:44 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Secure Log On section was already unchecked
by gklein / November 28, 2004 10:40 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gene, Try CHECKING The Box, Reboot, Then UNCHECK It
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 28, 2004 11:48 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) sorry, but - - - where is The Reboot, Box, to UNCHECK
by gklein / November 29, 2004 12:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Gene, My Fault....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 1:12 AM PST

I tried to make the message too short.

There is no "reboot" box. I meant to restart the computer after CHECKING the box. The procedure I was suggesting is like this: Click on Start-Run, type "control userpasswords2", then click on OK. When that loads, click on the "Advanced" tab, then place a CHECK mark in the box next to "Require Users to Use Ctrl-Alt-Delete". After that, restart the computer. AFter the restart, go back into the same location and UNCHECK the box. Restart the computer again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
not your fault - but thanks anyway. Cannot remove grayed
by gklein / November 29, 2004 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Gene, My Fault....

check marked. Could not tell before that it was checked at all, but not it is visible with a gray check mark.
Do I have a securitie setting wrong for this ?
I need a year long course just on security settings.

Collapse -
Gene, You Must Change It As An Administrator
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 1:31 AM PST

If you're already logged in as an administrator and it's still greyed out, try restarting into Safe Mode, and make the changes as THE "administrator" log in. Hopefully you know the password for the "administrator" log in.

If you haven't set one already, you can do it from any admin log in. After logging in as an admin, then click on Start-Run, type control userpasswords2, then click on OK. When that loads, in the "Users" tab, make sure the "Administrator" is highlighted by clicking on it once, then click on the "Reset Password" button. Type in a password that you can remember.

Now attempt to make the Ctrl-Alt-Delete changes by restarting the computer into "Safe Mode", and use the "Adminstrator" log in.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I am the only user established as Administrator and logon -
by gklein / November 29, 2004 1:53 AM PST

with password (after control, alt, delete).
When trying f8 rapidly during bootup, I get to the black safe mode window with safe mode in all corners -
and - - PRESS CONTROL, ALT, DELETE sign is fozen / locked. Can not get passed it to safe mode ???

Collapse -
That's Not Good..Have You Tried???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 2:08 AM PST

.....Using System Restore?

From "normal" windows, are you able to gain access to the computer? Does Ctrl-Alt-Delete allow you to log in? If so, then click on Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore. When that window loads, select "Restore My Computer To An Earlier Time". When the calender comes up, select for a day when the computer was working correctly.

By the way, most XP computers have the original "Administrator" user log on EVEN though you may have a separate admin log in in your name. Do you log in the computer using "Administrator" as the user name, or do you have your own user ID? Having AT LEAST two admin users is the safest way to do things. What happens when you log in with the "Administrator" user ID?

Have you tried running Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag lately?

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I did make some changes to security settings ???
by gklein / November 29, 2004 2:25 AM PST

1.From "normal" windows, are you able to gain access to the computer? YES

2.Does Ctrl-Alt-Delete allow you to log in? YES

3.If so, then click on Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore. When that window loads, select "Restore My Computer To An Earlier Time".
I RESTORED TWICE BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP. THIRD TRY TO RESTORE WOULD NOT GO BACK ANY FURTHER.

4.By the way, most XP computers have the original "Administrator" user log on EVEN though you may have a separate admin log in in your name. Do you log in the computer using "Administrator" as the user name, or do you have your own user ID?

5. Having AT LEAST two admin users is the safest way to do things. What happens when you log in with the "Administrator" user ID?
ONLY HAVE ONE - ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT. LOG IN WITH PASSWORD AND BOOTUP - O.K.

6. Have you tried running Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag lately? YES I DID BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP

Collapse -
Gene, My Next Step...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 2:39 AM PST

...before attempting a "repair" install of Windows would be to create a new adminstrative user ID. Open the Control Panel, double click on "User Accounts", then "Add" a new user and password and give the user administrative priviledges. Once that's done, restart the computer and log in as the new user.

It may give new settings to the new user and allow you to "de-select" the Ctrl-Alt-Delete option.

Unfortunately, even IF it allows you to work correctly, it still means that the "Administrator" log in is damaged. That's not good. I like to keep the "Administrator" log in as a backup just in case my primary log on goes bad.

You didn't say which service pack you have installed, but if push comes to shove, you may need to run a repair installation of XP. Here's a link:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks much - if you know the registry key
by gklein / November 29, 2004 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Gene, My Next Step...

I am comfortable working in the registry.
I will follow your suggestion and if necessary follow the reinstallation guide.
Happy Holidays
Gene, Bradento, Florida

Collapse -
Gene, This Might Do It
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 3:55 AM PST

The Registry Key:

Disabling the Ctrl Alt Delete requirement before logon
http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=255

Because each user has a separate version of the registry, you'll need to make this change under your original "Administrator" log in.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It worked

It worked, thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.