Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

How to remove Babylon virus?

by xguy03 / June 7, 2012 5:55 AM PDT

I was using Mozilla Firefox and under the search box was Google advertising a faster browser that I clicked on and got infected. I used Avast and Malawarebytes to remove it. I seems to be removed but I googled this virus and read it was hard to remove. How can I check to be sure it's gone?

I have Windows 7 and IE9, Google

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove Babylon virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove Babylon virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Babylon - It's Back!
by katiebug57 / June 10, 2012 10:47 PM PDT

Doggone. That pesky search window won't go away! I use the latest version of Firefox, have Vista Premium Home Edition. (I'm not talking about the toolbar)

I've done a lot of research, and to the best of my knowledge, read all the postings on the forums here. I have uninstalled the toolbar, which came with a CNet download (it was my fault - I clicked on "next" before I fully read the window about Babylon toolbar being a part of the download).

I haven't noticed any indication of an infection as there are no windows that pop up arbitrarily, that sort of thing. I did have to go back and reset Google as my home page even after I deleted the toolbar.

I DID manage to get rid of the search box once by going on Firefox to about:config, searched for Babylon and reset all of them. I was ecstatic. HOWEVER, when I had to reboot my system, there it was, back again.

I have run MBAM twice as you suggested, and I tried to do the free online scan of Superantispyware, but it wouldn't download. Kept getting error message that said one of the files wouldn't copy, and it aborted the download.

I do have CCleaner, and have run that. I also have FixCleaner and have run that.

I'm beginning to think the only way I'm going to get rid of this search bar is by restarting my computer to an earlier time, but I really don't want to do that.

Any further suggestions?

Collapse -
Found the solution!
by katiebug57 / June 11, 2012 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Babylon - It's Back!

I am most excellently wonderful. Once I had reset Google as my home page and search window, I noticed at the upper right hand corner, right next to the google icon there is a drop-down menu. I clicked on it, and it showed me the "toolbars" currently in operation. Well, I had already uninstalled the babylon one, BUT it showed up there. I simply clicked on "manage search engines" and there was babylon. I clicked remove, and restarted my computer. Babylon is now gone! Doing the happy dance...

Collapse -
Babylon virus back
by berndpol / September 29, 2012 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Found the solution!

I had done this already before (it it hasn't come back in "manage search engines"), but I still have it and makes my live miserable. I also removed the "program" Babylon via the uninstall in Windows XP on a DELL.

Nothing doing. What else is left for me?

Collapse -
I find the usual advice works but one more step.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2012 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Babylon virus back
Collapse -
babylon is a Virus
by Symorethmoose / September 30, 2012 6:27 AM PDT

while Identity theft is at its highest, Babylon is one of the tools used to collect people's information, the piece of code is morphic, it emulates genuine program during istallations and continues to do that when one attempts to remove it, it runs the CPU so hard when you are surfing the web, by emulating Internet explorer, and sending your search and habbits to the malicious Company that sells the same data.
Buyers are not defined that is how Identity thieves actually get the Data.
watch out and inform the FBI Cyber crime department to see if the servers can be backlisted and owner charged in court for cyber terrorism.

Collapse -
I have yet to see it act like a "virus."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2012 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: babylon is a Virus
Collapse -
Because it sneaks in and is uninvited...
by Richbutchk / October 15, 2012 9:32 AM PDT

I would definitely call it malicious... Virus? Maybe not, but that's a moot point. I downloaded a copy of software that I used in the past that has gone out of business (Ovation) and Babylon rode in unannounced and uninvited on that install. I tried to halt the install midway through, but it got in anyway. Thus is my second bout with this awful software. Needless to say, I hate what the Babylon folks are doing.

Collapse -
So was it from this link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 9:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes
by willk0101 / October 22, 2012 12:02 PM PDT

That and several other links. I had the same problem. Although I clicked no, it still took over. Definitely a virus.

Downloaded through somthign called ilivid

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2012 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I need a firm example. Just one. If folk write that many do this and I test 2, then I'm back to ask you again.

So I'm back to ask again for a link that does this.
Bob

Collapse -
Babylon Install
by Westerburg / December 11, 2012 9:08 AM PST

Hi, I installed Daemon Tools and Babylon came with that and at no time was there any question whether I wanted it. It is essentially malicious software and I have even found deleted screen grabs from this machine with hash code names. As I use this machine for 3D animation and video editing I cannot really work on this machine anymore as it compromised. I can reinstall Windows7 however that means backing up a lot of video - this is a SSD based Core i7 laptop that I use on location for audio too. I have to reinstall and completely reconfigure just for one totally unwanted piece of crap shiteware!

Collapse -
Thanks, I'll try that one. But is it Lite or Pro?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: Babylon Install
Collapse -
This is not quite enough
by joekingsley / November 22, 2012 6:47 PM PST

I don't think this technique is working anymore,see when I am trying to do so babylon virus has come up again.I am trying lots of methods like uninstall the browser and reinstall it ,update it but still facing the problem.I think now there is only one solution i.e formatting.Does any one have better idea about this rather than formatting then please share.

Collapse -
Worked here last week. One more thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2012 1:07 AM PST

I see many forget to change the HOME PAGE after removal. It's a manual step and it seems some folk can't figure out how to set the home page in the browser.

I found formatting to be a lot more work than this last step.
Bob

Collapse -
Found the solution
by Cliveer / December 16, 2012 1:10 AM PST

Thank you, Katie. Used your suggestion and it appears to be working!!

Collapse -
Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by JosefineLederer / December 16, 2012 6:19 PM PST

OMG!
You are my hero Happy
It worked!!!!!!!!!!!
I am literally dancing Happy
Thanks soooooooooooooooooooo much for the simple no nonsense advice.

Collapse -
Thank you Katiebug..
by Tatlowlg / August 4, 2012 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Babylon - It's Back!

Your solution worked like a charm!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Looks like MBAM and Avast did the job..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 7, 2012 8:24 AM PDT

Tony..

Did you see any evidence of it in your program files? Does it show as your search provider? Your homepage? How about when you open a new tab? Are you being redirected to any unwanted sites? No Babylon toolbars? IF it were still installed, I think you would know it. As did those you found via your Google search.

Did you run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware more than once? Sometimes it takes a second go around. You might also want to try scanning with SUPERAntiSpyware. If you don't want to install their (free) software, they also offer an Online Safe Scan.

If you need extra assurance, try ESET's Online Scanner - Their FAQ and Help sections should answer any questions you might have. (Temporarily disable Avast prior to running the scan)
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

Additionally, if you don't have a program such as CCleaner, you might want to give it a try. It's not an anti-spyware application, but it does clean unnecessary files. Here's a description of what files it cleans. If you choose to install it, select the "Slim" build from the link I provided. The Slim build comes without any (unnecessary) toolbars.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
MBAM and Avast did
by xguy03 / June 7, 2012 11:34 AM PDT

No the pc shut down and I disconnected and ran Avast and MBAM twice. I also have CCleaner. I will try Eset even though I think it's gone because it is moving fast again. I just wanted make extra sure.

I really need to know how to uninstall Mozilla Firefox. It runs a lot slower than IE9 and that is where I think I got the virus. I've tried all I know and googled it and still can't uninstall.

Thanks Carol!

Collapse -
Uninstalling Firefox..and then some..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 8, 2012 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: MBAM and Avast did

Tony..

You asked for help uninstalling Firefox. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but I would like to make a few comments first, if you don't mind.

In your initial post you wrote, "I was using Mozilla Firefox and under the search box was Google advertising a faster browser that I clicked on and got infected". Adding in your most recent post, FF is slow and "that is where I think I got the virus"

I have AdBlockPlus (and NoScript) installed, but when I go to Google I see (just below the gear icon or where you sign) where it says, "A faster way to browse the web 'Install Google Chrome' ". Is this what you were referring to? If so, it's not a virus ridden ad. Clicking on it should bring you directly to Google's page for Chrome, as it did me.

I can't help but ask, if you tried starting Firefox in Safe Mode? (See this too) If you haven't yet tried to find out why FF is running slow, see if "Firefox is slow - How to make it faster" helps.

NOW for what you asked. You haven't mentioned which version of FF is installed. Or if you're having any specific problems. You said you tried all you knew, in addition to googling it and you still can't uninstall it. If you tried all the steps Mozilla suggests when "Uninstalling Firefox", in addition to some of these steps (scroll 3/4 of the way down the page), then I would try removing it with the Revo Uninstaller. It should do the job. If not, let us know.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Uninstalling
by xguy03 / June 11, 2012 5:42 AM PDT

Carol the version of FF is 9.01. I have tried everything you suggested except the Revo Uninstaller and am leary of some of the "30 day free trial" deals.

Thanks, Tony

Collapse -
Did you try "searching" for remaining files?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 11, 2012 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Uninstalling

Tony..

If you previously tried to uninstall it, I'm wondering if you may only have "bits and pieces" left. Confused Without knowing what steps you took to remove it, or (specific) problems you're experiencing now, I'm at somewhat of a loss.

Ordinarily I might suggest installing a new version "over the top", with the intention of removing it, but I don't know what state FF is presently in. It would be important to know, if the firefox.exe is still running in the Task Manager, under the Processes tab.

After "unhiding files and folders", did you "search" for all Mozilla and Firefox related files? Does the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox for 64-bit) folder still exist? What about in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData? Does your Profile still exist? This shows you "how and where" in Windows 7.

I really don't know what else to tell you. I've used the trial version of the Revo Uninstaller and never had a problem. You're not going to be forced to pay anything. And it's not going to remove any files, other then those related to Firefox. For all I know, Revo Uninstaller may not even list FF, if most of the files have been removed.

I have a couple of other ideas, but first try removing any remaining files.
Carol

Collapse -
about firefox......
by TheSPARTAN8440 / August 2, 2012 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: MBAM and Avast did

i got it using chrome, firefox was never instaled on my computer, and the only thing i can think of about where it came from is from a popup or online surveys
i have search my entire harddrive for any instince on babylon and thus removed all instances and it is still poping up in all my browsers and makes chrome think the google login pages are viruses.

Collapse -
Answer
Babylon manual removal
by Fiona_jonas / August 7, 2012 6:49 PM PDT

Hello xguy03,
Babylon is not a virus, that's why most anti-virus program can not detect it. It is just a toolbar.
To remove it, you need take the manual measure.

Babylon Manual Removal Guides:

1. Please go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel, Uninstall a Program.

2. Search for Babylon and Babylon toolbar on IE in the list. Select the program and click Remove button. If you are using Windows Vista or windows 7, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. If you do not install Internet Explorer, Babylon toolbar on IE will not be listed in the menu.

3. Removal Babylon search in Browser. It depends on what browser you have the babylon search problem.

Remove Babylon Toolbar and "Search the web (Babylon)" in Internet Explorer:
1) Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools , then Manage Add-ons.
2) Select Toolbars and Extensions. Uninstall everything related to Babylon Ltd. from the list: Babylon toolbar, Babylon toolbar helper,Babylon IE plugin, babylonToolbar.com, etc.

3) Select Search Providers. First of all, choose Bing search engine or other search engine and make it your default search provider (set as default). Then select Search the web (Babylon) and click Remove button to uninstall it (lower right corner of the window).

4) Go to Tools, Internet Options. Select General tab and click Use default button or enter your own website, e.g. gooog.com instead of search.babylon.com. Click OK to save the changes.

If you have the same problem on other browser, you still need the manual steps to remove the tool from the browser as well as modify your homepage.

Hope this works for you. Good luck.

Collapse -
Babylon: It's a Virus
by mckracker449 / October 2, 2012 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Babylon manual removal

Or at least malware produced by an illegitimate party:

I have it, though I did not ask for it
It does not go away through an uninstall routine
It is still there despite many attempts to remove it

This is not the behavior of legitimate companies. I've heard that the parent company is real, but they make this scum ware. I suggest no one buys what they are selling. I hope they die a painful death.

I think those who say it is not a virus are working for Babylon.

Collapse -
Or they are used to the old definition of a virus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2012 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Babylon: It's a Virus

I agree it's malware, scum and such but if you want to be inexact in what it is and is not, then feel free to call it what you want. If everyone calls malware "viral/virus" then the definition will eventually change.
Bob

Collapse -
how to remove chrome related virus
by chandudilse / October 28, 2012 5:16 PM PDT

Thank u
Babylon virus removed ............from internet explorer
another problem please tell me how to remove surf web with google chrome opening when internet modem connected
Regards
Poorna chandra

Collapse -
Still can't get rid of Babylon
by jmnoonan2 / February 1, 2013 6:32 AM PST

on Windows7

I've tried all the options I've seen in this thread. I search my computer for babylon, I've looked at add/remove programs, checked the addons for the browsers (IE and FF) and I don't see it.

I run ad-aware virus scan if finds it. It says it cleans it

I open either browser (Which now both have google as the default search)

run ad-aware again and it finds babylon again!

Help!!!

Collapse -
I'd share what Adaware finds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 6:38 AM PST

A recent event like this found the scanner complaining about a cookie or registry entry. Babylon was gone all the time. We had to explain why the cookie and entry was there but the pest was actually gone.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Babylon Removal
by jerryconnerss / August 15, 2012 6:49 AM PDT

What a pain in the *** Babylon is and I got rid of every bit of it by accident and experimenting! Heres how I did it using Windows XP Pro with Firefox 14.0.1

1- search your computer with the search feature for "babylon" (use "advanced option" and check all boxes)
2- highlight all files found
3- now here is where I can't figure out how I "right clicked" and changed all files to ICONS VIEW (everything would not delete until I did this but if you select all files and delete them WITHOUT PRESSING JUST "DELETE". I use "Iobit Uninstaller". www.majorgeeks.com is a GREAT SITE!!!
4- Right click and use your UNINSTALLER to delete all files
5- Run a registry cleaner (RegScrupXP)
Reboot and everything should be gone.....mine is!

As long as you can select all Babylon files and delete them with an UNINSTALLER.......BABYLON IS GONE!
Reboot and there ya are!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.