Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to remove a second Operating system from a PC

by Matmaurice / February 27, 2009 5:43 PM PST

Dear CNET members, i have two similar operating systems (Wndows XP professional)on my Laptop however, one is genuine and the second one is not. I would like to remove the one which is not genuine but i don't know how to do it safely without corrupting the other one. If there is anyone who knows how to do it, please help. My PC is a Dell Inpiron 1300

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove a second Operating system from a PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove a second Operating system from a PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
format non-genuine winxp
by olzenkhaw / February 27, 2009 10:10 PM PST

If your genuine windows is at 1st partition (that mean the root drive is at C:) and non-genuine windows is at 2nd partition (usually the root drive is at D:), and when you reboot your computer, you will be asked to choose whether to boot the genuine winxp (1st option) or non-genuine windows xp (2nd option), then you can remove the non-genuine winxp easily by just:

1. format D: drive in My Computer.
2. click Start, click Run, type cmd and press enter.
3. type cd\ and press enter
4. type attrib -r -h -s boot.ini and press enter
5. type notepad boot.ini and press enter.
6. Boot.ini is opened in notepad. del the last line of the file. (the 2nd last line of the file is your genuine windows xp, don delete this line. just delete the last line)
7. Save the file. Exit notepad
8. type attrib +r +h +s boot.ini and press enter
9. type exit and press enter
10. Restart your computer.

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature Weblinks which are prohibited in these forums.

Collapse -
How do i know my windows xp is genuine or not?
by raashmitaa / April 6, 2009 5:01 PM PDT

Plz help

Collapse -
tips to know whether windows xp is genuine or not.
by techservices24 / April 6, 2009 7:36 PM PDT

Whenever you will be trying to download or install any XP program then it will automatically verify whether windows XP is genuine or not. It is a part of the process.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.