Windows 8 forum

Question

How to remove a partition?

by xDeadliestxSinx / September 22, 2012 10:53 AM PDT

Hey all, I recently made a partition for the (forget the exact name) but the I guess demo version of Windows 8. I will just upgrade to Windows 8 when it comes out. Is there a way to get rid of that partition, and just have my hard drive back to the way it was? Steps would be very helpful, thanks a lot!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove a partition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove a partition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Removing a partition.
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / September 25, 2012 1:48 AM PDT

Hi,

You can try to delete the partition through Disk Management by referring to this article on Microsoft Support.
If this partition is bootable, it may not let you delete it. The best approach is to format the hard drive and re-install the operating system. You can refer to this link for OS re-installation: Installing and re-installing Windows 7
Note: If you perform a clean installation of Windows, any data on the computer will be lost. Please perform a data backup prior to this step.
Follow the steps on: To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk
Alternately, you can restore your computer to factory settings if you created any system image or if you have any recovery discs provided by the computer manufacturer.

Hope this helps.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Unallocated space
by bloodruns4ever / September 27, 2012 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing a partition.

Ok so I managed to delete the partition but now it says the space that was used for the partition (48.83 gigabytes) is unallocated. What should I do with that? Can I reapply that back to my C: drive?

Collapse -
Nevermind
by bloodruns4ever / September 27, 2012 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing a partition.

I figured it out, thanks a lot guys

Collapse -
Answer
Re: removing partition
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 6:06 PM PDT

The partition manager you used for making it should have the option to delete it also. What program did you use?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
removing partition
by apnavarun / October 19, 2012 9:58 PM PDT

after formating partition you can delete the partition

Collapse -
Since I can remove partitions without formatting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2012 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: removing partition

This can't be true.

Collapse -
Answer
Think I've done it
by BWeaver4 / November 30, 2012 10:12 AM PST

I did it the exact same way you can do it in Vista/Win 7.

1. Start off by using the windows and R key.
2. In the "Run" box, type diskmgmt.msc
3. Right click on the partition you want to remove and click delete volume.
4. To "reallocate" you then right click on your main disk.
5. Click "extend volume" and extend by the same amount of the old partition you created.

Looks like it works.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.