Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

How to reinstate Autoplay?

by bitnap / April 12, 2012 1:20 PM PDT

Using XP Pro SP3 Pentium D, I installed Windows 2007 Pro (with Publisher) that overwrote OFFICE 97 Pro to resolve MS Word pdf files conversion issues with graphics. That was an attempt to flip Word text in a final tent object configuration.

Sorry to say that did not happen so I am planning to reload OFFICE PRO 97. The Auto Play function does not come up anymore and I have been using the HD to load S/W. How can I get back the convenience of Auto play?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to reinstate Autoplay?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to reinstate Autoplay?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: autoplay
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 6:21 PM PDT

Try what Microsoft writes in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
Luckily, you don't need autoplay to install it. Just run the setup program from the cd.

And be sure to fully uninstall Office 2007 before reinstalling the 97 version again. But why should you?

Kees

Collapse -
Why...?
by bitnap / April 13, 2012 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: autoplay

Kees,

First, thank you for the answer. I guess the Old Dog-new tricks syndrome in trying to navigate a search for the old drawing tool bar is so obfuscated in the 2007 and on. I wiped out the 2010 Office from Pro 97 with an overwrite of the 2007 thinking it would improve the rotate feature for tent printouts of MS WORD and found that was bogus. I will follow your advice and stay with the 2007 until MS will figure out a better way of turning half page text upside down easily.

Jimmy,

Thanks for the heads-up on Auto-play. I'll stick with loading by hand.

Collapse -
Answer
AutoPlay
by Jimmy Greystone / April 12, 2012 10:51 PM PDT

AutoPlay went away for a reason, and that reason was that it was being exploited by ne'er do wells distributing viruses and other malware using that as an attack vector. When you think about it, any time some autoplay window pops up from a install program, you more or less trust that when you click on the install button or whatever, it will launch the setup program and ONLY the setup program... But if you think about it a little more, what exactly is there stopping someone with less than honorable intent from doing something completely different?

Just put a shortcut on the desktop or the quick launch toolbar for the ODD if it is so horrendously burdensome to go to My Computer and then the ODD from there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.