Mac Desktops forum

Question

HOW TO REINSTALL MAC OS ON NEWLY INSTALLED HARD DRIVE!!

by Drcheese19 / April 24, 2013 8:28 AM PDT

Hello -

** the specific details of this question are:
------- when I first obtained the imac g5, it would not start due to a repeating kernel error OR a flashing question mark folder
------- after installing the new hard drive, the kernel error is gone, but when booted up, there is either a circle with a slash through it OR a dim screen that tells me to restart my computer
------ the imac g5 does not respond to the original retail discs for installing the Mac OS - it just keeps loading OR gives the restart your computer screen again
------ target disk mode is yet to be attempted - just don't know the process
------ all other methods to accomplish a complete successful boot up are being requested...thank you! (Read below)

I recently obtained an old imac G5 1.8 ghz desktop computer - and I set out to make it function again. So I replaced the hard drive with a WD Caviar Blue 500 GB internal HD. However, I cannot reinstall the Mac operating system on the new hard drive, so it won't start up! How would I go about installing the operating system on this newly installed hard drive so the imac g5 will start up??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW TO REINSTALL MAC OS ON NEWLY INSTALLED HARD DRIVE!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW TO REINSTALL MAC OS ON NEWLY INSTALLED HARD DRIVE!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given that age and story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 8:41 AM PDT

Are you sure the CD/DVD drive is good? I continue to find folk adamant to try anything but replace a bad drive.

Yes, we always try cleaning the lens prior to replacement.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Normal procedure is to insert the first Restore disc,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 8:49 AM PDT

and shut down the computer.
Once shut down, restart it and hold down the Option Key at the chime. Keep it down until you see the icons appear on the screen. You should (might) see an icon of a hard drive and one of a DVD.
Choose the DVD
IF the wind is in the right direction AND you are holding your head just right, the machine will boot into the installer.
S l o w l y step through the installer until the Menubar appears at the top of the screen.
Choose Utilities > Disk Utility.
Initialize the drive as OS X Extended (journaled) or as HFS+, whichever the option is.
Once initialized, reboot using the same procedure as before, choose the DVD and launch the installer.

Be aware that the G5 was infamous for the bad capacitors on its logic board. Bad caps can cause this, and many other, problems.
I suggest you lay the iMac face down on a towel, remove the three screws from the bottom edge and lift off the back cover. Check the Capacitors for leaks and bulging tops.
If you find them, you have two choice.
1. Learn how to solder and replace them. Kits available online.
2. Rest easy in the fact that you now know why the price of the G5 you got was so cheap.

P

Collapse -
Answer
"imac G5 1.8 ghz desktop computer" can't run OS X Leopard...
by jnsturges / May 3, 2013 11:58 PM PDT

Your ancient "imac G5 1.8 ghz desktop computer" can only run OS X Tiger (10.4.x) or older.

These relics do NOT even have the Intel CPU found in all newer Mac computers.

So, find OS X Tiger or Panther (10.2.x) on eBay, and it may actually install properly. If not you may have to Add more RAM. Tiger seems to like 512 MB, or more.

Collapse -
Thanks for the laugh, but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 4, 2013 11:40 PM PDT

The iMac G5 will run OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) which was the last version of OS X that supported the PPC processor.

As for suggesting that the poster get a copy of 10.2, were you really serious about that? Why not suggest 10.3 given that all the early iMac G5's came with that as standard?

P

Collapse -
Answer
MAC OS ReInstall
by jaypons27 / May 22, 2013 1:28 AM PDT

Hello I these are the steps that Jesus Jay Pons did to do the reinstall

1) shut down,
2) restart it and hold down the Option Key at the chime. make sure to keep it down until you see the icons appear on the screen. ( Jesus Jay Pons) I saw an icon of a hard drive and one of a DVD.
3) SELECT the DVD
4) NOTE your machine will boot into the installer.
5) Patiently go through the installer until the Menubar appears at the top of the screen.
6) Select Utilities > Disk Utility.
7) Initialize drive as OS X Extended (journaled) or you can initialize as HFS+, whichever the option is.
Cool Once initialized, reboot using the same procedure as before, choose the DVD and launch the installer.
Jesus Jay Pons

Collapse -
In what way does the Jesu Jay Pons procedure
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 22, 2013 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: MAC OS ReInstall

differ from the second answer you were given?

you appear to have just copied what I wrote, changed a few words so that nobody would notice, and pasted it as some sort of revelation!

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.