How To forum

How to reduce boot time ( I Don't want the usual tips )?

by arminale / June 15, 2012 12:15 PM PDT

I have a Dell XPS L501 laptop with the following specifications:
Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 657MHz
2048MB GeForce GT 435M
Dual boot of win7 home premium 64bit and ubuntu 11.04
Avast free antivirus ( latest edition)

I clean my computer regularly using CCleaner , Defragment it using Auslogics Disk Defrag.<div>Also I cleaned my registry using Glary utilities and did a successful system check up using Dell PC Check up.
As for start up processes , they are at minimum.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to reduce boot time ( I Don't want the usual tips )?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to reduce boot time ( I Don't want the usual tips )?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Without knowing
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 4:54 AM PDT

what you call "the usual tips", there is little that can be said.

But there are a couple of things can be said.

1] Defrag - not needed..

2] Registry Cleaner - Never needed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by pgc3 / June 16, 2012 12:34 AM PDT

And what are you using for security software? I see one potential red flag with the registry cleaner. A bit more information regarding other installed software might help.

Collapse -
Security Software
by arminale / June 16, 2012 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Speed

As I said , I'm using avast free antivirus
As for the registry cleaner ' I use Glary utilities and it's a reliable software.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2012 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Security Software

Sorry but such are never needed here. I've seen folk increase boot time after use. I consider it "unreliable."

Collapse -
Check and verify
by Willy / June 16, 2012 3:47 AM PDT

I use Avast AV and like it BUT its not the best out there but its free. Being free I keep it and i don't go into fearful places at least i try not to. I mention this because other "paid for" tend to better and may stop or correct some malware far quicker or give ntoice. I suggest you visit some of the "online scan services" from the likes Norton, Klasasky, etc.. Visit the spyware, security and virus forum and find the "sticky note" for all the web links and do various vendors online scans. Once that's done then it should be more trusty on the malware side.

Next, while I use CCleaner too, I use it at its default nothing fancy. If you play too much in the registry type cleaners they can bite you, thus I remain at default setting, unless I'm well aware of its doings. Since, you mention two different cleaners, pick one and stay with it.

I know in the past weeks, big OS updates have occured. So, you maybe feeling the effects of these though they shouldn't slow you down, but issues do arise sometimes, google for your OS what maybe said about OS updates. Also, click the "task manager" to see what being done int he backgrd., so check and verify. Alas, you may want to use HiJackthis s/w and verify what going on there.

Sorry, but you mentioned slow boot time but it may not be where the fix lies. As Already stated above look to see if any malware or added pgms(unknown to you) are in play here. Don't take anything for granted.

If all fails, you may want to use a restore point to return to a date when you know this issue wasn't present. If that corrects that and the problem returns, become aware of what has transpired.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
what is bad about registry cleaners
by easjrn / June 20, 2012 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Check and verify

I follow these posts as often as i can, and the people answering seem very knowledgeable. please explain why registry cleaners are dangerous, especially when cnet gives them high marks. I trust their reviews.
also, the avast av. , free and paid was rated superior to anything out there, according to "av, the bench mark for testing av software worldwide. please clarify. many thanks, ed

Collapse -
Registry Cleaners
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 8:30 PM PDT

Frankly we are at odds with and other CNET 'reviews'

The problem with registry cleaners and optimizers is their potential to do damage to an OS. The Registry is at the heart of any Windows OS and making unwise or incorrect changes to it can kill an OS dead.

The registry itself is just a database of keys and values, a very large number of them, but the database is in use all the time by the OS and by the software that is installed in the OS, and no one person, and no 3rd party software, can hope to ever know everything that is in it. But registry cleaning/optimizing software claims to know everything and users who accept that run the risk of the software deleting keys or changing values irresponsibly, and that is where the danger lies.

That is why we never recommend registry cleaners in these forums. They are not required and the damage they can do is too great.

As to Avast, one of the world's leaders, but you will find many comparison and bench mark sites that give differing opinions. I wouldn't worry too much about those.

Collapse -
Simple explanations, I hope
by Willy / June 20, 2012 11:48 PM PDT

Registry cleaners are like kids with crayons in blank walls room. You can see sooner or later, something will be done not ill intended but never the less unwanted.

I read reviews too, but real life tends to temper anything I later suggest or act upon. I also may impart if you do this or that expect that this result may pop-up using whatever. I also suggest don't get carried away from s/w fixes that help maintain your PC, they also need attention to their operation but also any negative results since they work all over the OS or pgms., become hard to unravel any damage. Its not just a needle in a haystack but a needle in a stack of needles. I hope that metaphor made sense. Happy

Avast free is the paid for of the same name. The paid for version more reaily goes beyond the free version, so when you compare know what you're comparing. Just visit Avast and see the versions supplied what each does or steps-up to do from the lesser version.

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
Boot time etc.
by pgc3 / June 16, 2012 4:25 AM PDT

Willy made a couple of good points, KASLASKY, he was saying Kaspersky LOL...Even though you may not have downloaded other programs the way you are set up could lead to spyware/malware building in the system, there are many variables as to why. The free AV stuff is ok and many get by with using the free downloads but there can be shortfalls using the freebies. There are tons of variables because no two computer users are exactly the same when it comes to browser(s), search engines, sites etc. If you do a lot of browsing, visiting different sites, facebook, my space and such, it would be a good idea to get something better than the freebie AV's, they can be limited in functionality. Registry cleaners often create way more issues than they resolve and I wouldn't recommend using any of them and only as a last resort if at all. Do a little research on AV software packages that incorporate such things as anti spyware/malware, anti phishing and keylogger function. No they are not free but it can be a lot cheaper to pay for an annual subscription than to go through some of the nightmares that can be created by having insufficient security software onboard.

Collapse -
"The case of the ..."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 7:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Install an SSD!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 17, 2012 9:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
Not so easy an answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2012 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Install an SSD!
Collapse -
Use Windows' System Restore
by andrewbaggins / June 18, 2012 6:06 AM PDT

You do not mention if boot time just got a lot longer for Windows 7 or for Ubuntu, or both. Assuming for a moment that it's Windows, consider rolling back your system with System Restore to a date before the slowdown occurred. Twice in the last year one or more of our PCs slowed way down after automatic monthly Windows Updates. Once we were fortunate - System Restore fixed the problem on two computers and full speed was restored. The other time caused a system crash/freeze after which the extra hard drives in the case (for data storage) were no longer recognised! System Restore did not resolve this so we reinstalled Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (from a backup system image) and then we turned off Windows Update. This may be risky from a security point of view but we don't like our system being hosed by Updates we didn't select!

Next, consider installing an SSD. We began using three Kingston SSDs and one Sandisk SSD over the past year, and all of them have proved very reliable. They make boot up/shutdown and program launch times noticeably quicker, and even our basic Pentium dual-core laptop now does everything faster than our friend's more recent quad-core laptop (for which he paid considerably more!). Just observe the basic to-do's for an SSD. Enable SATA mode = AHCI (or SATA = Enhanced for older systems) in the system BIOS screen just before installing Windows or booting up the SSD for the first time. (To avoid any possible confusion, we also disconnected the two regular hard drives in each system then reconnected them later after installing Windows 7.) After installing Windows, run the Windows Experience Index assessment thing right away. Windows will recognise that it's an SSD and make all necessary adjustments to ensure the drive is handled properly and performs well.

Many early SSDs were rushed to market and had reliability problems, mostly from glitchy control software. Firmware updates from the maker's websites fixed the problems, and even now an update may enhance performance further. Kingston's controllers have proved very reliable and so has Sandisk. Also should mention Intel brand for high reliability. Many factors can affect computer performance and a good SSD will remove the bottleneck where your processor and memory are waiting-waiting-waiting for the hard drive to locate and load stuff for you. Look for a special price on a good model and take the plunge. This morning as I write, you can get a top-rated Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD for $179.99 with free shipping and no tax. Not too shabby !

Collapse -
If you REALLY want to do this...
by Nerosas / June 18, 2012 6:55 AM PDT

Get a solid-state drive. This will MASSIVELY decrease your boot time. Boot time will be reduced to about 10-20 seconds. Including login time = under a minute, usually about 30-40 seconds.

Check out:

Just look up the model of your PC and have the SSD tab checked, they are pretty much fool-proof. And the best thing is you can choose which SSD you want and it also does data transfer kits so you don't have to reinstall everything.

Collapse -
too many softwares for same purpose....

In place of using so many programs(which occupy a lot of disk space) for almost the same purpose,i would like to suggest an all in one software called "tune up utilities".It has everything from fixing your laptop's registry to defrag hard disks in just a single click.There are many programs embedded in it like disk doctor,repair wizard,startup programs,etc.A very useful thing about it is its that u can select which program you want for startup and which not.Also,it optimizes your computer after a fixed interval of time and pinpoints which program is occupying a lot of space.And there are loads of other options for this purpose only.So try it and let me know.

Collapse -
I am aware of this computer user trick
by PARRISHNELSON / June 19, 2012 11:31 AM PDT

arminale Hi,

You might try uninstalling some of your fonts.
Especially if you've got a bunch of em hanging around on your laptop. I've got about 500 and should drop most of them but I like cartoon style fonts just too much.
The system reloads all of your installed fonts every time you boot up. Be sure to save copies of the fonts you decide to uninstall to a folder so you can always re-install them whenever you want.

Excuse the belatedness. Plus, Cnet has several font manager utilities such as The Font Thing or Font Xplorer that let you view all of your fonts whether they're installed or not.

Collapse -
try these things to reduce boot time
by SumitDawas / January 29, 2014 3:42 PM PST

Check out the following reasons and try to fix them to reduce the boot up time for your laptop

Scan for Viruses & Malware
Change Boot Priority and Turn on Quick Boot in BIOS
Disable/Delay Startup Apps
Disable Nonessential Hardware
Hide Unused Fonts
No GUI Boot
Eliminate Boot Delays
Remove Crapware

fixing the above things will surely help you to reduce the boot time as i got reduce the same to 45 sec.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.