Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

how to read old netscape mail

by lynnv70 / May 14, 2004 7:10 PM PDT

I have a new computer and installed my old hard drive as a slave. Unfortunately I'm unable to open my old email (Netscape 7.1) with my new Netscape 7.1. I cannot import it to either Netscape or Outlook as the import utility only refers to Netscape 4.x. Can anyone tell me what I can do to open the old messages? I was able to import the address book. Same user profile name.

Thanks,
Lynn

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to read old netscape mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to read old netscape mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:how to read old netscape mail (use older netscape?)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2004 10:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Re:how to read old netscape mail
by lynnv70 / May 15, 2004 6:48 AM PDT

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear on my question. I've been using Netscape 7.1. However I can't access the old mail on the prior hard drive which was also 7.1 and any import utility only applies to prior versions.

I did check out that site and bookmarked it since it appears to have useful information though not for this problem that I could find.

Collapse -
Here are a couple of ways ...
by xerpor / May 15, 2004 7:07 AM PDT

Don't know what OS you are using but this can be done with W2K

Using Explorer open the folders under Profiles (your profiles are under Mozilla) and then the folder that contains your old mail (open the folder that's named with letters and numbers the Mail folder is under there, you will have two or more, open the one with your old mail files). Look to the right panel to find the mail files you want. You can drag or copy the mail file/files you want from there to your new Mail folder. Rename the file first, for instance if it's the Inbox rename it Inbox2, else it will overwrite your new Inbox. The file will appear as a new folder in your mail program.

OR you CAN use OE to import your Netscape mail. It's odd but N7 will not import N7 mail but OE will. Go to Import in Outlook Express and select Messages. You will be given a long list of email programs, select Netscape Communicator. It will either have the path to your mail folder in the slot or it will be empty. If it's empty or the path is wrong, using the Browse feature browse to your old Netscape mail folder. It will import all the email folders.

Richard

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.