Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

HOW TO READ OE SAVED ".dbx" FOLDER FILES?

by tnicholaidis / August 4, 2004 4:29 PM PDT

Since I wanted to clean up my e-mail system I decide to compact and save the folders as per the directions in OE's "Help". I have now saved all messages and backed them up on cd. The idea was to completely delete all the OE .dbx files on my computer and keep them on disc. Trouble is, I can't read any of the compacted .dbx files now - on hard disc or on the CD. When I try I am asked to "Open With", etc. but I do not know which programme to use, either on the computer or on the web. Don't mind downloading something but one demo programme was no use anyway for what I need.

CAN ANYBODY OUT THERE GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, PLEASE?!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HOW TO READ OE SAVED ".dbx" FOLDER FILES?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HOW TO READ OE SAVED ".dbx" FOLDER FILES?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HOW TO READ OE SAVED
by Papa Echo / August 4, 2004 5:14 PM PDT

Copy back the .dbx files to the Windows >Application Data > Idendities>...>Microsoft> Outlook Express folder. I am not too sure of the actual path, but after that you Launch OE......Remember to move the 'new' .dbx files away before you do this, and then delete the copied files before moving the new files back. There may be a better way - wait for other replies. Have you tried opening the .dbx files with OE ?

Collapse -
by tnicholaidis / August 5, 2004 3:36 PM PDT

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I SHALL TRY THAT. I WANTED TO "OPEN WITH" OE BUT OE WAS NOT ON THE LIST OF PROGRAMMES AVAILABLE. IE WAS, BUT I DID NOT WANT TO ASSOCIATE THEM IN CASE I COULD NOT REVERSE IT.
WILL GET BACK TO YOU ONCE I HAVE TRIED YOUR SOLUTION.
THANKS AGAIN.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / August 4, 2004 11:07 PM PDT
Since I wanted to clean up my e-mail system I decide to compact and save the folders as per the directions in OE's "Help". I have now saved all messages and backed them up on cd. The idea was to completely delete all the OE .dbx files on my computer and keep them on disc. Trouble is, I can't read any of the compacted .dbx files now - on hard disc or on the CD. When I try I am asked to "Open With", etc. but I do not know which programme to use, either on the computer or on the web.

1. Even though you can view a .dbx file using either Notepad or Wordpad by simply right-clicking, selecting Open With, and then using either, the structure isn't very nice. Usually if you understand Outlook Express and know what you're doing, things can be move around, out of, and into the Store without much problem. It wouldn't really matter if you did, provided you had copied the Store to a safe place before fooling with it. But. . .

2. Be advised, the file Folders.dbx is the file which categorizes and maintains the default mail Store (in Outlook Express, click Options, the Maintenance tab, click Store Folder, and then make a note of the path), the user created OE folders, and default OE files. If a certain file or folder is moved or copied into the mail Store in-lieu of using the correct Import method, the Folders.dbx would not be aware of this change and therefore consider the replaced ?.dbx file or folder as corrupted. To make sure things are in sync if copying or moving folders either into or out of the mail Store to delete the Folders.dbx file before starting OE. Even afterwards, perhaps simply deleting it and opening OE will fix you right up. Should the system have asked, "Overwrite . . ."? when a copy or move was performed, anything previously at that point was lost, [Q313055] and [Q295965].

CAVEAT: Also be advised, the Folders.dbx file keeps track of Active News Group Subscriptions and the information is lost when the file is deleted.
Collapse -
by tnicholaidis / August 5, 2004 5:22 PM PDT

Great Stuff. Many thanks indeed. You've certainly got me sussed out - but I was just following the "help" instructions. Why don't they tell you the rest of it? Your input is well appreciated. You guys are brilliant. This forum is great, isn't it?!! Cheers and thanks again.

Collapse -
DBXtract??
by Brandon Eng / August 5, 2004 4:10 AM PDT

Only read about it, can't say how well it works, but may be what you need. Here's link: http://www.pcnet-online.com/picks/dbxtract.htm

Good luck. If it works, would be curious how well- if you don't mind, post back with results, if it in fact does what you want it to.

Collapse -
Re: DBXtract??
by tnicholaidis / August 5, 2004 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: DBXtract??

MANY THANKS FOR THAT. WILL TRY IT, BUT THEIR ON-LINE PAY-PAL SYSTEM IS DOWN AT THE MOMENT. CERTAINLY LOOKS LIKE THE RIGHT TOOL. CHEERS.

Collapse -
It's free. Donate later, when you can.
by Brandon Eng / August 7, 2004 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: DBXtract??

Collapse -
Re: It's free. Donate later, when you can.
by tnicholaidis / August 15, 2004 4:56 AM PDT

Apologies for not geting back sooner.
I did go to that site and I did try to download it but they ask for $5. This sounds easy, doesn't it, BUT you give them your credit card details and then they ask you to open a direct debit with "PAY-PAL". Some carry-on for the sake of US$5. Don't know why my credit card details weren't enough.
Anyway, part of signing up for this direct debit (for US$5) is to wait for them to deposit two small amounts in your account and these make up part of your password. Give me another two weeks or so and I may have paid my US$5 and downloaded the "free" programme. Strange, isn't it!!?? Don't get me wrong - I really do want to try the programme and am very grateful for your tip. But all this red tape from their side doesn't help, does it !!!???

Collapse -
PayPal
by Cursorcowboy / August 15, 2004 11:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: a question and a 'workaround'
by jonah jones / August 5, 2004 5:00 PM PDT

have you tried to import the emails via OE? (from the hard disk, NOT the CD)

if that doesn't work, try this...
create a folder called saved dbx
copy the dbx files from the Cd to the folder
in OE click tools --> maintenance --> store folder --> browse to the saved dbx folder click OK..
reboot (this "should" register the new storage location)
run OE and if your 'lucky', your emails should be there..

Collapse -
Re: a question and a 'workaround'
by tnicholaidis / August 5, 2004 5:17 PM PDT

Many thanks. I will give that a whirl. Very good of you to assist. Cheers.

Collapse -
Re: HOW TO READ OE SAVED ".dbx" FOLDER FILES?
by dwainwood / August 5, 2004 10:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
by tnicholaidis / August 15, 2004 11:08 PM PDT

Many thanks for your response. I will definitely try their programme but it is quite a painstaking exercise to get the US$5 to them. It isn't actually "free". Meanwhile I am waiting for the details of the two payments paid to my account before I can join "Pay-Pal".

Again,

Many thanks for your kind response.

Collapse -
Mikey, you try it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 12:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Mudflap / October 6, 2004 9:58 PM PDT

How do I read saved compacted .dbx files?

Collapse -
reading saved dbx files
by mamajenn / September 21, 2008 7:19 AM PDT

Just did this very thing. Came to this site and got instructions on how to and it works.
Create a folder on your desktop
Locate your saved dbx files
Copy dbx files to the saved folder on your desktop
Open OE
Click on tools, options, maintenance, store folder
Browse to saved folder on desktop
Click ok
Okay
Reboot your system
Run OE and send and receive and you receive all of your saved files

Collapse -
Since this discussion is now 4 years old,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 10:29 PM PDT

I suspect the problem has either been solved, or the poster has moved on.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.